RufusDaMan

New 9-s?

25 minutes ago, jmswood said:

Fenn Rau was never really Scum or Villainy.

The A-Wing pilots he fought might beg to differ...if he hadn't killed them.

No, he was clearly a 'gun for hire' for a while, there - we definitely saw some of the rebels he killed or shot up.  Who knows how many others, before he decided to pick a side for some reason other than money.

and technically during season 3 he wasn't a rebel so much as a mandalorian willing to work with them for his own goals.. and shortly after he stopped being a prisoner he threw in with Sabine's family in their bid to liberate mandalore. and Clan Wren is definitely not part of the rebellion, they are at best a side story with some character crossover.

since the protectors are neither Rebel or Imperial scum is the closest you can get. the Phantom II pilot would be him in the brief period where he was working closely with the rebellion.. after Gar Saxon wiped out the protector base, but before he threw in with Clan Wren.

2 minutes ago, DodgingArcs said:

The large base Turret ships should have never been 9

Han was fine and deserving of it and Dengar was tolerable as Scum did need a nine and his niche among the bounty hunters was his piloting but every other nine after wave 2 was really stretching credibility on the lore with the possible exception of Poe.

It's far less the types of ship which got them then the number of them and the randomness of some of the pilots.

6 hours ago, xanderf said:

The A-Wing pilots he fought might beg to differ...if he hadn't killed them.

No, he was clearly a 'gun for hire' for a while, there - we definitely saw some of the rebels he killed or shot up.  Who knows how many others, before he decided to pick a side for some reason other than money.

6 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

and technically during season 3 he wasn't a rebel so much as a mandalorian willing to work with them for his own goals.. and shortly after he stopped being a prisoner he threw in with Sabine's family in their bid to liberate mandalore. and Clan Wren is definitely not part of the rebellion, they are at best a side story with some character crossover.

since the protectors are neither Rebel or Imperial scum is the closest you can get. the Phantom II pilot would be him in the brief period where he was working closely with the rebellion.. after Gar Saxon wiped out the protector base, but before he threw in with Clan Wren.

I'm not saying he absolutely belongs in the Rebel faction, but it makes more sense than Scum. Everything Fenn Rau does is an effort to preserve Mandalorian interests. Scum and Villainy is the faction of criminals and anything-for-credits mercenaries. Fenn Rau and The Protectors do not fit the bill. They are honorable warriors, disenfranchised because of the Shadow Collective, then extorted by the Empire to preserve their culture. They eventually aid the Rebellion, but they haven't joined the Rebel Alliance. (Rebels Season 4 might change that.)

The Fang Fighter was an opportunity for FFG to do something different with factions, maybe making a factionless ship that could be played by all three core factions, or a 3 faction expansion. There are Mandalorians that belong in each of the different factions. Death Watch for Scum, Gar Saxon's followers for Empire and Clan Ren for Rebels. It didn't happen that way because the Expansion was developed before the lore, and FFG was in a rush to make a superior fighter for their favorite faction. 

On the main topic of PS9's. My initial reaction was to agree that there are too many, but I wanted to dig a little deeper. The raw number of PS9's has increased, but I'm guessing the ratio is about the same as always.

PS9's as they are presently constituted: Vader, Soontir, Wedge, Han, Poe, Dengar and Fenn Rau deserve it based on lore. The other two exist for game balance. Talonbane got PS9 because Scum didn't have one yet. Quickdraw got PS9 to round out the number of PS9's per faction. So now there is total of 9 out of the 230-ish pilots in the game, about 4%. In Wave 3 it was 7%. So my guess was wrong. Is 4% too many PS9's? Maybe, but it's better than 7%.

Edited by jmswood

4 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

Te problem isn't PS 9, it's the existence of Veteran Instincts.

Simple answer - faq to "you cannot equip if you are pilot skill 9, and your pilot skill value may not exceed 9".

If that really is the problem. I'm not sure it is.

Honestly I don't have a huge issue with the current amount of PS9 pilots. I wouldn't add to it without a good reason, but I don't think it's a problem.

44 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Simple answer - faq to "you cannot equip if you are pilot skill 9, and your pilot skill value may not exceed 9".

That's redundant, the second part alone would be enough. Not sure what that would accomplish, though, except probably giving an insane weight to initiative bids.

Veteran Instincts allows a few pilots to actually exist. TIE Phantom would cease to be part of the game without Veteran Instincts.

25 minutes ago, Kumagoro said:

Not sure what that would accomplish, though, except probably giving an insane weight to initiative bids.

Veteran Instincts allows a few pilots to actually exist. TIE Phantom would cease to be part of the game without Veteran Instincts.

Someone claimed VI was a problem, I threw them a solution.

The phantom was cleverly designed so it wouldn't break the game too much with VI. Ahsoka in captured tie is a 7 for the same reason. I get it's integral to the game. 

2 hours ago, jmswood said:

I'm not saying he absolutely belongs in the Rebel faction, but it makes more sense than Scum. Everything Fenn Rau does is an effort to preserve Mandalorian interests. Scum and Villainy is the faction of criminals and anything-for-credits mercenaries. Fenn Rau and The Protectors do not fit the bill. They are honorable warriors, disenfranchised because of the Shadow Collective, then extorted by the Empire to preserve their culture. They eventually aid the Rebellion, but they haven't joined the Rebel Alliance. (Rebels Season 4 might change that.)

The Fang Fighter was an opportunity for FFG to do something different with factions, maybe making a factionless ship that could be played by all three core factions, or a 3 faction expansion. There are Mandalorians that belong in each of the different factions. Death Watch for Scum, Gar Saxon's followers for Empire and Clan Ren for Rebels. It didn't happen that way because the Expansion was developed before the lore, and FFG was in a rush to make a superior fighter for their favorite faction. 

But to me, Mandalorians being their own culture with their own goals makes shoehorning  them into either the Rebellion or the Empire even more egregious. At least in Scum, they can be show to be their own thing along with the various other factions (like Hutt cartels, Black Sun, Pirate Groups, and so on). I cannot tell you how sick I am of characters like Boba Fett getting forced onto the Imperial side in so many games when he literally has no dog in that fight. He doesn't care. He's just doing a job for the pay. And I feel most Mandalorians are the same. Even Fenn Rau when you first meet him doesn't care for either the Empire or the Rebels. He and the Protectors were doing their own thing with a deal to keep the Empire off their back. 

Now, your idea for the tri-faction does sound good and I'm still hoping they make the Kom'rk that way. But I do believe that Mandalorians as a group are better off in Scum.

11 hours ago, jmswood said:

Fenn Rau was never really Scum or Villainy.

I predict Scum Han & Friends in X-wing with the Han Solo movie next year. 

Wedge in a TIE Fighter would be cool. 

There's a chance Kylo gets PS9 in his TIE Silencer.

Wedge in an interceptor would be better :-p

Every numeric value in the game should be adjustible. Every numeric value should also have a ceiling set for the sake of game balance. In the case of Pilot Skill, I believe the ceiling should be 9 for both thematic and game balance reasons.

The other numeric values in the game have similar problems. Primary Weapons of 4 are controversial for good reason, and the game is on the brink of losing control of Secondary Weapons. Small base ships should not have more hull and shields than large base ships. Large base ships should not have more hull and shields than epic ships.

2 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

But to me, Mandalorians being their own culture with their own goals makes shoehorning  them into either the Rebellion or the Empire even more egregious.

And by that standard shoehorning Fenn Rau and the Protectors into Scum is just as bad as shoehorning the rest of Mandalore into any other faction. The only group of Mandalorians that truly fit in Scum is Deathwatch; an extremist minority.

It's too bad there isn't enough Mandaorian content for a 4th faction. If subfactions meant anything in game mechanics, that would be a fair compromise for having all the Mandalorians in Scum. 

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

Someone claimed VI was a problem, I threw them a solution.

The phantom was cleverly designed so it wouldn't break the game too much with VI. Ahsoka in captured tie is a 7 for the same reason. I get it's integral to the game. 

What? The way the TIE Phantom was designed broke the **** out of the game at PS9, which is why they had to change the rules for decloaking.

1 hour ago, jmswood said:

Every numeric value in the game should be adjustible. Every numeric value should also have a ceiling set for the sake of game balance. In the case of Pilot Skill, I believe the ceiling should be 9 for both thematic and game balance reasons.

The other numeric values in the game have similar problems. Primary Weapons of 4 are controversial for good reason, and the game is on the brink of losing control of Secondary Weapons. Small base ships should not have more hull and shields than large base ships. Large base ships should not have more hull and shields than epic ships.

And by that standard shoehorning Fenn Rau and the Protectors into Scum is just as bad as shoehorning the rest of Mandalore into any other faction. The only group of Mandalorians that truly fit in Scum is Deathwatch; an extremist minority.

It's too bad there isn't enough Mandaorian content for a 4th faction. If subfactions meant anything in game mechanics, that would be a fair compromise for having all the Mandalorians in Scum. 

I think a difference in our view of this is you see Scum as just criminals and mercenaries where as I see it as an "Other" faction. A place to put characters and organizations that aren't Rebels or Imperials. It isn't perfect and I would love Mandalorians to have their own faction. They have quite a few ships and it's not like they haven't used ships not of Mandalorian make. But with that option kind of off the table, I think the standard place for Mandalorians is in Scum, with room for individuals like Fenn Rau or Gar Saxon to be attached to the other two factions based on lore.

3 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

This!

Darth Vader Soontir

Wedge Poe Han

Fenn and Dengar

and that's it!

Everyine else should be 8 or lower.

I'd argue Fenn and Dengar shouldn't even be PS9  

Fenn should definitely have been an eight at best by lore but Dengar was canonically the best bounty hunter pilot and that's including Boba who was already an eight, so I can't really complain about him.

Edited by Princezilla

21 hours ago, Princezilla said:

Han was fine and deserving of it

I mean I get why they made him 9, I just think making any Turret ships higher than around PS5 was a mistake. 

The game is firmly Turret Wing now so it's pretty much a wash because that is how it has evolved, but it could have evolved in very different ways of turrets were treated differently from the outset.