Zesu Shadaban

Winter Court Roles - or, How To Start A Complaints Thread

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

(Copied from Facebook from someone gracious enough to share the results)

Clan roles have been chosen by the top 2 in each clan. These will be in effect through Worlds in November:

Scorpion: Seeker of Air
Phoenix: Seeker of Void
Dragon: Keeper of Void
Lion: Keeper of Earth
Crab: Keeper of Air
Crane: Keeper of Water
Unicorn: Keeper of Fire

This is also in order of how they placed. As a unicorn player, I don't understand the choice of Keeper of Fire. I was hoping for Seeker of Water. But we'll see if they saw something I did not!

Let the griping begin!

Edited by Zesu Shadaban

I don't quite understand the keeper of water for crane when keeper of fire was still available.

It's sad to see that our clan fell so behind. :(

Before everyone gets all bent out of shape, remember that these Roles will be changing at Winter Court this November (I think it is November).

And you cannot pick the same Role two times in a Row.

So maybe Crane took Keeper of Water instead of Fire because they knew that if they took Fire it would only be good for the next three months,  and then unable to be chosen again for at least a Year, until at least next Winter Court.

Posted (edited)

33 minutes ago, Cambeul no Oni said:

Before everyone gets all bent out of shape, remember that these Roles will be changing at Winter Court this November (I think it is November).

Which is why I raise my eyebrows at the Phoenix , Dragon, and Scorpion choices.....i don't know when they picked and may be they are hoping for something else for the full tourney year?

Edited by Shu2jack

Surprised seeker of earth wasn't taken. But when you think about how we play your more likely to get the effect of each turn with keeper and Air should be common. Strange how so many talked about how seeker was the better choice but when it came down to it only two clans chose seeker. Also suppressed that Scorpion jumped to the head of the class.

Just now, Shu2jack said:

Which is why I raise my eyebrows at the Phoenix and Scorpion choices.....i don't know when they picked and may be they are hoping for something else for the full tourney year?

Maybe our Phoenix overlords had some mercy in their hearts and decided they don't want to torture us, peasants, with Shamful Display and Mori Kuroi in the same deck for the whole year? :P 

Kitsu Seinosuke likes this

2 hours ago, Cambeul no Oni said:

So maybe Crane took Keeper of Water instead of Fire because they knew that if they took Fire it would only be good for the next three months,  and then unable to be chosen again for at least a Year, until at least next Winter Court.

This, altough Phoenix went for the throat, we Will have a hard time agaisnt them :)

4 hours ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

As a unicorn player, I don't understand the choice of Keeper of Fire. I was hoping for Seeker of Water. But we'll see if they saw something I did not!

Maybe 13 Influence is better than two provinces of the same element. I don't see it as a big deal anyway.

Keeper Initiate is that much better than Seeker Initiate, I think is the logic. Being able to win a single conflict then pull out 3 1/1/2s is pretty nuts. At the very least it gives you 6 unbowed glory to contest for the favor.

shosuko likes this

8 hours ago, Cold Iron1 said:

Surprised that Scorpion jumped to the head of the class.

In a single core environment Scorpion are quite strong.

Posted (edited)

Phoenix got Seeker of Void.  That's really good for them.  Crazy no one picked Seeker of Earth.  Keeper of Air is interesting for Crab.  Not at all what I would have picked.  Though it's not a bad choice given limited experience.  Keepers extra influence is always a nice benefit and many other clans care an awful lot about Air.  Keeper Initiate also I guess is nice to keep more bodies on the field for defense and sacrifice.

Since these roles will be re-chosen at worlds it's only in effect for a very short amount of time.  It's honestly almost best if you just pick nonsense this first go around since the next pick will have a longer life. I mean most of us won't have the core set for at least another month.

Before anyone gets too salty remember this is just for FFG organized play.  You can still play any role you want when playing casually or in any privately run event.

Edited by phillos

9 hours ago, Shu2jack said:

Which is why I raise my eyebrows at the Phoenix , Dragon, and Scorpion choices.....i don't know when they picked and may be they are hoping for something else for the full tourney year?

I don't think it matters too much which Keeper Role Dragon has. Keeper of Earth could also work just as well. 

25 minutes ago, player2636234 said:

It would be strange if after Winter Court each clan is prohibited from picking the same role.

I think that was part of the plans - you cannot have the same role back to back.  I don't know where that was posted, but I've heard that circulating with the rest of the role information.

Also they said there were plans for the roles that were not picked - any news on that yet?

58 minutes ago, Radix2309 said:

I don't think it matters too much which Keeper Role Dragon has. Keeper of Earth could also work just as well. 

My thoughts with the Dragon are that they are investing so heavily on a character that every fate they lose on a character is also killing the attachments on them.

YasukiKaito likes this

4 hours ago, Shu2jack said:

My thoughts with the Dragon are that they are investing so heavily on a character that every fate they lose on a character is also killing the attachments on them.

Oh i agree. 

But they also can use them on offense. And my opinion is that we take it while we can. No guarantee we can get it at the Winter Court. I would rather a Dragon win and choose another good Role than lose and get something subpar.

Posted (edited)

I'm the Unicorn player who selected Keeper of Fire. I'm planning to do a write up of the choice and my deck, but the short answer is that Keeper Initiate is so insanely good and in line with the general Unicorn game plan that I would prioritize literally any keeper, even Keeper of Air, over seeker. I understand the Seeker of Water synergy, and if I had to pick a seeker, I would pick that one. However, I don't like how much it telegraphs your province choices, and paying 2 for Seeker Initiate feels miserable, especially if you can't trigger it after you get it out. Finally, I didn't even want to pick the best role for our clan (Keeper of Void or Water, imo) so that those would be available to choose at Winter Court.

I recommend you try it out and see how it feels!

Edited by dodgepong
typo

Posted (edited)

Yeah Keeper Initiate is insanely good - I don't think I'd even include Seeker Initiate in a deck.  The advantage of the Seeker cards is the double province, which may be okay up front power but the Keeper card and the ability to gain fate in defense of a ring (not to mention more leeway in splash cards) is really powerful.

Keeper Initiate coming from the Discard means you can use it as a sacrifice card, chump blocker, extra attacker for a last conflict, or even keep for Imperial Favor...  Being able to get 1-2 of these from your discard FREE is deceptively strong.

Seeker Initiate is far too over priced.  The ability is okay, but you have to dump 2 fate for a 1/1 first, and then play to win that ring.  The Keeper just sits there and works whenever it happens.

Edited by shosuko

12 hours ago, Wintersong said:

Maybe 13 Influence is better than two provinces of the same element. I don't see it as a big deal anyway.

Lol, I was really confused by this, looked back and realized I unintentionally included that comment from the original Facebook post. :P

18 hours ago, Shu2jack said:

We plan to butcher you like cattle before you get any gains from your shenanigans. Simple.

Fusami likes this