Cubanboy

Did Armada suffer from bad timing?

25 posts in this topic

Ok so No news at Gencon,

Can I ask if the last wave came out without enough time for a new wave to have a spot light at Gencon?

Can I also ask if we really want a hardcore 2-3 waves a year template? 

I don't think FFG has any intention of dropping Armada, I think it's just bad timing.

Based on the scuttlebutt of Wave 7 that was on the Gencon floor (which was double hearsay by the time it reached me, not at Gencon), it was bad timing, but a large part due to extra playtesting going into the Wave 7 elements. Time will tell if that conjecture is true.

GrandAdmiralCrunch likes this

I for one, absolutely do want a 2 waves a year run, ESPECIALLY if we are only getting 1 ship per faction on average.  The closest the game ever came to truly dying was the severe delay of Wave 2 followed by the extraordinary gap of Wave 3/4.  And while we joke and laugh about "Armada is dead!!11!" the harsh reality is that Armada almost disappeared at least in California thanks to a complete lack of new product.  At the same time, X-Wing had new ships and official FFG support practically falling from the skies directly into game stores, which caught the attention of gaming groups all over the state.

I'm not worried yet simply because of the timing window being so close to Force Friday.  I will be more concerned if we don't hear a concrete piece of news on Force Friday, at US Nationals.  I also trust them, to some extent, when they say they are working on "something big."  I feel they wouldn't say something like that if they didn't expect whatever they have to have a major impact on the game.

Good I rather they have less waves and added complexity until everything is vetted out.  One poorly priced release can sour the game (Cough Jumpmaster) .  Quality is better than quantity to me and everything seems well thought out so far.    

I ether want one wave of 4 Ships, or I would want two waves of 2 Ships ether way I would be happy, but I think the small waves is a better business model.  It is also possible that if something 'big' is coming that they did not want it to overshadow legion.  I think timing and the announcement of legion played a role in not getting a wave 7 announcement.

I agree smaller well tested waves hopefully twice a year are preferable especially if a wave introduces a new game mechanic. 

Would have been nice of them to throw us a few scraps though. Preview picture of the prizes for the Q4 kit etc. 

GrandAdmiralCrunch and n815e like this

2 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

I for one, absolutely do want a 2 waves a year run, ESPECIALLY if we are only getting 1 ship per faction on average.  

I much prefer having 1 ship per faction in each wave. Not only is it easier on the wallet, but it gives us more time to explore the new ship. With 2 ships per wave, the amount of possibilities often means they haven't been fully explored by the time the next wave comes out. Having 2-3 waves like this a year is a good pace.

Considering Wave Thor came out in July, and Wave V was announced at the following GenCon in August, I don't think you can attribute it solely to bad timing.  

thecactusman17 likes this

XW is basically bankrolling FFG, we all know that. As still an avid XW player some have been crying out for the gunboat for years. It therefore was no great surprise that XW and the new kid on the block Legion, was the focus (of the miniature based SW games). This is therefore a timing issue.

I'm actually disappointed by Legion. They should have gone to a much smaller scale ala 40K Epic. Legion looks too much in conflict with Imperial Assault. Maybe they are going to move away from IA tournament events and focus more on the campaign (my prefered game mode anyway).

Armada is far from dead. In the same way that IA only had a comment about the app, it was just a very crowded set of announcements. I await the MC75 announcement still with hope.

Yeah no announcement is still pretty lame considering its gencon...  I mean they could at-least say what "big" thing is coming and at the very least have an artist rendering or something... However I also play Star  Trek attack wing and you should see how Wiz kids is treating THAT game.. They are sadly running it into the ground with little to no support... reminds me of the "major league" baseball movie where the owner WANTS the team to fail so she can move it. I get no vibe like that from Armada to me they are actually taking time to get it right as Wizkids didn't with STAW and it has killed the game... or at least putting it on life support.. 

I'd like to see 3 waves a year, but 2 is absolutely required and by the end of a wave, there is a lull period due to the current environment having gotten stale.  This means they are spaced a bit too far apart.

3 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

XW is basically bankrolling FFG, we all know that. As still an avid XW player some have been crying out for the gunboat for years. It therefore was no great surprise that XW and the new kid on the block Legion, was the focus (of the miniature based SW games). This is therefore a timing issue.

I'm actually disappointed by Legion. They should have gone to a much smaller scale ala 40K Epic. Legion looks too much in conflict with Imperial Assault. Maybe they are going to move away from IA tournament events and focus more on the campaign (my prefered game mode anyway).

Armada is far from dead. In the same way that IA only had a comment about the app, it was just a very crowded set of announcements. I await the MC75 announcement still with hope.

That was my first thought!!! "Wait no bigger units, this is too close to imperial assault!"

I am not concerned for Armada. It's doing well. They said "something big" is coming. Would have been great to get more info but meh, I wasn't holding my breath for an announcement now. Wave 6 was released a month and a half ago, FFG has announced a lot of other stuff in the last week or two and they probably need more testing time and prep for the announcement.  I expect we will hear about SWM20 as a stand alone and a new full wave soon. Maybe have both for Christmas. Maybe just the full wave.  A little disappointed but not worried.

Yeah, the rate of XWING content for a while it was insane!  So, many ships and now there are so many mechanisms and rules, FAQ etc. you have to be a full time player to keep up.  At least they cut down on the ships in wave releases from 4 to 3.  

2 waves of 2 each year keeps me playing. More than that and I have to skip waves.

Hopefully we start getting a yearly campaign as well. I'd love for them to follow suit with Team Yankee and the current 40k worldwide campaign. 

I was disappointed not to get anything more than "something big".   It's a bit of a letdown overall. 

GrandAdmiralCrunch and TTC like this

5 minutes ago, draco193 said:

2 waves of 2 each year keeps me playing. More than that and I have to skip waves.

Hopefully we start getting a yearly campaign as well. I'd love for them to follow suit with Team Yankee and the current 40k worldwide campaign. 

I was disappointed not to get anything more than "something big".   It's a bit of a letdown overall. 

I'd be ok with a campaign every other year or even every three year. I still haven't played the CC.😥. I don't have time to find and play with a group near me. It's just me and my bro in law. Once in a while I have a friend or two that are interested in amusing me.

SSD need more preparation time.

They (FFG) are reading all what we put on this site about it (so many times that topic came on).

It's taking time ;)

4378809.jpg

I think people are overestimating the SSD by a bunch.  Yes it'll be nice, but it won't change the basic competitive game and if the next wave is that alone I'm pretty certain most people will think the game has gotten very stale by the time wave 8 hits. 

Posted (edited)

I'd be happy with 1-2 campaign boxes and one 2-ship wave per year.

I'm in this for the long haul.

Edited by Democratus

Armada just had a great wave with new game play mechanics, let's just all be patient. 

Legion is the new hotness and they wanted it to be the center of focus. Armada could have a larger wave coming next, whether that means mechanics or the actual ships we get.

n815e and TTC like this

Twice a year is fine by me.

Theres plenty of good stuff already in the game- I really, really dont want to have to deal with the problems of X-wing with the price point of Armada. Its hard enough to sell people on a 100 dollar starter set that wont let them play a full game without telling them they should drop another 200 just to get the basics for one faction because of a couple upgrade cards here and a hull or two there.....

Slow and steady.

I think we all need to calm down, and remember that there has recently been a massive shake up in cannon and ip holder for star wars. That means that all of us who remember and read all of those eu ships have to remember they may not be in 'existance' anymore. That in reality seriously limits what Ffg can make ship wise.

So yes in reality probably within a year they could release all of the OT ships, but then they would have to wait for disney 's beauracrocy to ok every 'new' ship they made. Not to mention the total problem of power creep that can occur when your spitting out product.

Personally i like their pace. They seem very methodical about their game mechanics, i havent really seen anything that has broken the game in a hidieous way. Yeah small thing that give serious advantage but nothing that i would say is unbeatable.

Breath deepenjoy the wait, it makes the knowing all the better!

23 hours ago, Amraam01 said:

Good I rather they have less waves and added complexity until everything is vetted out.  One poorly priced release can sour the game (Cough Jumpmaster) .  Quality is better than quantity to me and everything seems well thought out so far.    

at $30 I say the Jumpmaster was at good value:P

It is no secret that Armada being the less popular game takes a back seat to X-wing. So with no announcements it is not that much of a surprise. Still there is the question of what is next since the OT didn't have that much in the way of large ships. Honestly I am surprised they haven't brought out the TFA or even the prequel faction ships yet. Maybe next wave we will see something.