Spawnod

Release date announced at ffg in flight live

35 posts in this topic

So unless I misunderstood what the speaker was saying the release date is going to be October 5, 2017. See Team Covenant video of the in flight live around the 49 minute mark.

Chron73 likes this

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, Teslacrashed said:

They are going to make beaucoup money off everyone having to buy 3 cores. ..  Myself included...sigh.

Seeing as they could've made more money with a CCG distribution model, one could say they are losing out on money even with essentially requiring 3 cores for competition.

Edited by Shu2jack

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Shu2jack said:

Seeing as they could've made more money with a CCG distribution model, one could say they are losing out on money even with essentially requiring 3 cores for competition.

except the CCG market is saturated and comes with a whole host of problems with secondary markets, it's harder to get people into tournaments, etc.

For instance, if this was a CCG, I wouldn't even bother to get back into it, and many of my friends feel similarly. LCGs are MUCH easier on the wallet.

Businesses-wise it's smarter to release LCG's, and let Magic, Force of Will, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh duke it out for CCGs.

Edited by Teslacrashed

13 minutes ago, Teslacrashed said:

except the CCG market is saturated and comes with a whole host of problems with secondary markets, it's harder to get people into tournaments, etc.

For instance, if this was a CCG, I wouldn't even bother to get back into it, and many of my friends feel similarly. LCGs are MUCH easier on the wallet.

Businesses-wise it's smarter to release LCG's, and let Magic, Force of Will, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh duke it out for CCGs.

Perhaps, but it is cheaper for the consumer so i dont worry about the money. I WANT FFG to make boatloads of money off this. Means they'll keep making goodies.

I want a miniature game, just like what Star Wars is getting!

57 minutes ago, Spawnod said:

So unless I misunderstood what the speaker was saying the release date is going to be October 5, 2017. See Team Covenant video of the in flight live around the 49 minute mark.

Could you give a link for this video?

TIA

40 minutes ago, Shu2jack said:

Warhammer Quest like, Rex like,... there are tons of very fitting and interesting options. There is hope that they will ration the releases to avoid flooding.

Still curious to see whether this will be a global distribution date, or just for the States. I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to get the GoT 2.0 core set in Canada until a couple weeks after its release, and it would be a shame if that was true for L5R too. 

55 minutes ago, Sometimes Y said:

Still curious to see whether this will be a global distribution date, or just for the States. I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to get the GoT 2.0 core set in Canada until a couple weeks after its release, and it would be a shame if that was true for L5R too. 

I would not be surprised if there is a delay for the out of states folk. 

Posted (edited)

So, Oct. 5th release date. At the moment I can find only one store on Amazon selling it and they have "In stock November 30th" on the listing.  Wonder if that was a pre-announcement placeholder date or if that retailer has already sold out on reserve orders for the initial shipment?

Edited by Suzume Tomonori

56 minutes ago, Suzume Tomonori said:

So, Oct. 5th release date. At the moment I can find only one store on Amazon selling it and they have "In stock November 30th" on the listing.  Wonder if that was a pre-announcement placeholder date or if that retailer has already sold out on reserve orders for the initial shipment?

I do believe most places had the November date listed as just a placeholder, until the actual release date was announced. I don't think it reflects their stock levels any.

Suzume Tomonori likes this

12 hours ago, Shu2jack said:

Star Wars: Legion seems like it would be easily adaptable to L5R.

That is a thursday. Does that mean the FLGS launch events will happen that following weekend? I'm worried about ordering boxes and them coming after the launch event.

14 hours ago, Teslacrashed said:

And yet you complain, when the completionist's 3x Core Set purchase has been a thing since the inception of the Living Card Game® model. 

it is what it is, I am buying 4 cores mainly because I am giving my son a box in the vain hope he will play and not just collect Pokemon but I have the cash and the yearly cost is fine. the fact you can get every card for around 15-20 quid a month (including a deluxe a year) seems better to me than the 60-70 I used to spend on the ccg

Laurence J Sinclair likes this

I stopped playing M:tG five years ago because it cost too much. L5R CCG had the same problem, and worse the value of the cards were terrible due to no variant in competitive formats. This LCG model is far more promising.

Laurence J Sinclair likes this

On 8/19/2017 at 6:32 AM, Ide Yoshiya said:

And yet you complain, when the completionist's 3x Core Set purchase has been a thing since the inception of the Living Card Game® model. 

uhh...yeah? And what does that have to do with the price of tea in Rokugan? It's still cheaper than getting into Magic and keeping up. Doesn't change the fact their 3x core box practice is obnoxious.

practice is obnoxious.

I would prefer 'helps ensure the game makes enough profit to be viable'

but sure, go for 'obnoxious' if thats what you desire. <_<

Well yeah, I can see how it's great for the profit margins forcing competitive players to buy 3 boxes of your game instead of one. I have a really hard time imagining the world where just putting those extra 45 cards into the core box would just break their bank, or that upping the cost by 5 or 10 bucks to cover it would really stop people from getting into it. If you look at the history of any LCG message board, here or on Boardgamegeek or others, you'll find no end of people complaining about this practice, because it is terrible. 

Posted (edited)

It's  not about the components in the box.  It's about not making a core set that is like 100 bucks to cover the initial risk on development costs, art assets, buying the license to begin with...  No casual or fence sitter would give the game a try at that price.  This way they have the low price casual entry point and the high price hobby entry point.  This way they also don't split up the card pool into different products by faction, which would introduce a host of other issues like scarcity of popular faction products, economic pressure to over support popular factions,  bloating shelf space on retail shelves with even more LCG products...

Look I'd like if I could get the core set full play set for cheaper.  I don't love just throwing money away, but I think FFG doesn't have an easy obvious solution to replace the current model.  Also considering the model is reasonably popular why fix something that isn't necessarily broken.  It's a problem for the first couple months of the game and then people stop talking about it.  It's a drop in the bucket compared to the investment you'll be making in this game if you play for years. 

Ultimately I want this game to be profitable for FFG.  I want them to keep supporting it.  I want them to expand their L5R product range.  So I'm not going to begrudge FFG the desire to make money off this product.  Look that's the whole point.  Yeah you'll have some redundant cards when buying 3x core sets, but by my last count I think there is something like 160 singletons in the core.  That is still a pretty reasonable value for that last core set, and all the neutrals you'll have extra copies of can be used to construct multiple decks at once.  Therefore the actual amount of waste you are purchasing with this core set product is pretty minimal compared to something fairly wasteful like the Netrunner or LOTR core sets.

Edited by phillos

That is an excellent point, considering what you get I would be surprised if they get much profit at all out of a core box. They want people to dip their toes in and not be scared by the price. For the avids and those who like it they can increased their collection in stages.

They could probably push out a core box with more in for 60-70 pounds but that would scare of casual players entirely..

Sorry man. I can’t understand these complaints.

Companies take risks, they develop products and then people buy them or not. If they don’t, they lose money. If they do, they make profit and all these games, books and movies we love continue coming up. It is how the world works.

I don’t know about other lcgs, but in this one, having more tan 700 core cards for 120 bucks doesn’t seem obnoxious AT ALL to me. And you can always share 3 core sets with a friend that plays different clans, and you would have everything you need for just 60 bucks.

hidasaurus likes this