Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Celestial Lizards

"Reload" Action Speculation

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

I'd think reload is an action that assigns to you a weapon's disabled token (since both ships come with them and the scum ship doesn't have slam). So you have to spend an action and a shot to do it. Then you may reequip a spent missile or torpedo... possibly even a bomb.

This would give the gunboat a fairly unique playstyle: go in, shoot a torpedo, slam out, use advance slam to reload. This explains how the pilot ability of the ace may come in handy: every other turn you will focus on defense, before you go back in with your recharged cluster missiles (come on, guys, lets's face it: gunboats should fire cluster missiles.)  Perhaps this way we'll get a bit of mad flying like the striker? 

Personally, I would love that, since I dig reengages. Just feels so dog-fighty...

P.S.: I'd recon the scum ship comes with a mod that gives reload to ordinary ships. Considering that would be a modification, it might not be broken since that would rule out equipping guidance chips and the like.

So this begs a rule question. If you were to equip EM (and both ships can do it) if you choose not to use the token does it stay persistant if the card is discarded then flipped?

The ability to fire twice in 2 turns with all this new alpha strike shiny may make all the difference (especially in a mirror match). But timing it later than simply blowing the token on the 1st shot turns it into an entirely different furball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MalanTai said:

There are rumors about the XG-1 title allowing the ship to fire a 2 points or less cannon even with a weapon disabled token, which would be crazy with the PS7 ace. Shoot your (cruise) missiles on the opening round, SLAM to reposition, reload with advanced slam, and shoot your cannon, while having +1 green die. That seems quite good to me.

I doubt it. Theres a reason tie/d's dont see board time, and unless jamming is really worth it i doubt people will have the 3 point's spare for a ship that's already at 34-39 or so points (depending on ept flavor and missile)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

I doubt it. Theres a reason tie/d's dont see board time, and unless jamming is really worth it i doubt people will have the 3 point's spare for a ship that's already at 34-39 or so points (depending on ept flavor and missile)

TIE/D also are rarer than TIE/x7 (they do see some play, certainly less but still) because the cost of the title is in fact 2 points + whatever cannon they equip, and because of the opportunity cost of the evade, which is quite helpful on the Defender. But we should wait for some actual informations before deciding the strength of the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, MalanTai said:

TIE/D also are rarer than TIE/x7 (they do see some play, certainly less but still) because the cost of the title is in fact 2 points + whatever cannon they equip, and because of the opportunity cost of the evade, which is quite helpful on the Defender. But we should wait for some actual informations before deciding the strength of the ship.

You just made my point. Anywhere you would want to use this title you're better off not taking the gunboat and taking a tie/d. Why on earth are you going to hang around doing close cannon firing when it'll be a max of 1 damage if it can hit with no mods because you reload actioned (unless you spend more on tricks to help that with the ept)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ralgon said:

You just made my point. Anywhere you would want to use this title you're better off not taking the gunboat and taking a tie/d. Why on earth are you going to hang around doing close cannon firing when it'll be a max of 1 damage if it can hit with no mods because you reload actioned (unless you spend more on tricks to help that with the ept)

But they are not the same ship. You could take the Gunboat in order to, say, have infinite ordnance, allowing to pack a punch every other turn, and be a control ship the remaining turns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ralgon said:

I doubt it. Theres a reason tie/d's dont see board time, and unless jamming is really worth it i doubt people will have the 3 point's spare for a ship that's already at 34-39 or so points (depending on ept flavor and missile)

Well the TieD doesn't have SLAM or ps 7/9 so it's a bit different

Also Major Greendice is 26 points, 31 for FLECHETTE cannon + ASLAM + title; 35 with cruise and VI

same as vessery without any upgrades (not sold on lack of gchips though). Less punchy, far more maneuverable

Dial pending ofc

also need to see what seems to be the other starwing title, right under the Xg-1 card

Edited by ficklegreendice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Well the TieD doesn't have SLAM or ps 7/9 so it's a bit different

Also Major Greendice is 26 points, 31 for FLECHETTE cannon + ASLAM + title; 35 with cruise and VI

same as vessery without any upgrades (not sold on lack of gchips though). Less punchy, far more maneuverable

Dial pending ofc

also need to see what seems to be the other starwing title, right under the Xg-1 card

Title or mod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

Title or mod?

no way of knowing atm

seems to have the same exact ship-type restriction (in italics) and is similarly named

XG-1 Assault Configuration --> OS - 1 (something) Loadout?

gameplaywise, if they're pushing A-SLAM with this ship via Major Greendice and the reload action, it had better be a title

Edited by ficklegreendice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

Well the TieD doesn't have SLAM or ps 7/9 so it's a bit different

Also Major Greendice is 26 points, 31 for FLECHETTE cannon + ASLAM + title; 35 with cruise and VI

same as vessery without any upgrades (not sold on lack of gchips though). Less punchy, far more maneuverable

Dial pending ofc

also need to see what seems to be the other starwing title, right under the Xg-1 card

Let's hope Imps get a Scum-like dial this time ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MaxPower said:

P.S.: I'd recon the scum ship comes with a mod that gives reload to ordinary ships. Considering that would be a modification, it might not be broken since that would rule out equipping guidance chips and the like.

I have read similar comments elsewhere. Hopefully not! It would invalidate the RNG scavenger crane from the Quadjumper Pack and Quinn Jast as well.

Economically it would not make sense for FFG. By giving reload out as a mod for everyone and his/her kitchensink you take away the

-Scavenger Crane. Although the Quadjumpers release has been a while, still the ship does not well, actually Scavenger Crane is one if the few selling arguments for this older expac with the Vaksais coming.

-new shiny of Quinn Jast, the Scyk has his paintjob(!) in a 70$ expac, released just some 3months ago

-new shiny of reload in the Gunboat, just released 15$

-new shiny of reload in the Kimogila, just released 15$

 

An interesting thought could be maybe MUCH LATER having a reload Astromech, boosting X,Y,E,Arc170, while also giving a similar reload option maybe for TIE Bomber and Punisher. But as said why should people field Gunboat, Kimogilas, Quinn if other better ships e.g. Procket Vader, CruiseMissileAces etc with reload mod can reload?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, Engine Upgrade totally invalidates both the A-Wing and the TIE Interceptor which released in the same wave as it!

No, I don't think so. I expect as a full blown action now if Reload is good and works, it'll be expanded to be included on other ships through some upgrade. Modification is obviously the standard for new Action Bar actions, but Titles work - and so might other upgrades in certain conditions. Imagine a Cargo upgrade for epic which lets huge ships restock friendly ships who are close by, for instance. Even modifications can still have restrictions too - they might be limited to certain ships, like how Vectored Thrusters is Small Ship Only.

Scav Crane is still useful, because 1( atm we don't know what all Reload applies to. It probably affects bombs, but note that the Kimogila and Gunboat do not have bomb upgrades. Scav Crane can also affect corner cases like Cannons, Turrets and Modifications. 2( It's only 2 points. A prospective upgrade for Reload might be priced higher, especially if it affects all ships. This could make the crane more points efficient on certain ships. It also has a different trigger. This is also why Quinn Jast is still relevant, their special ability requires no actions. Personally, I think Quinn and Crane were almost beta testing these sorts of mechanics, along with maybe the double-slot unlimited Ordnance. While useful neither of them cripplingly shook up the X-Wing world, this should mean repeatable ordnance is no big deal, but at the same time I don't think Reload intrinsically replaces them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Jamming beam was about stopping weapons firing.
  • If theres a jam token, it's not assigning a weapons disabled token.
  • Its also not assigning stress, which is the epic version of jamming
  • The effect is also triggered in some way by reload actions (presumably on yourself)
  • I think we can be fairly confident reload lets you flip a discarded secondary weapon back up

If I had to guess, I suspect a " jammed" token is a weapons disabled specifically  for secondary weapons. It might take more effort than just 'wait until end of turn' to remove

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:
  • Jamming beam was about stopping weapons firing.
  • If theres a jam token, it's not assigning a weapons disabled token.
  • Its also not assigning stress, which is the epic version of jamming
  • The effect is also triggered in some way by reload actions (presumably on yourself)
  • I think we can be fairly confident reload lets you flip a discarded secondary weapon back up

If I had to guess, I suspect a " jammed" token is a weapons disabled specifically  for secondary weapons. It might take more effort than just 'wait until end of turn' to remove

Given they have gone there with kylo it wouldn't surprise me if it was skip you next opportunity to attack, but god i hope the reds on that cannon and missile are low if that is the case........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/08/2017 at 11:38 PM, Otacon said:

Well they have to be related to Reload somehow as their rules are on the Reload action reference card. There's also clearly a jamming b'something' weapon, but what they do and how they relate to Reload is probably going to stay a mystery until we get the official announcement article.

Maybe you can't reload when jammed? Then maybe that jam cannon makes your opponent can't reload?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, okay, okay... old thread but I have a question and don't want to start a new thread...

So, Major Vynder says if I have a Weapons Disabled token I can roll an additional green die.  Can I do a reload action, even when I don't NEED to reload, just to get the Weapon's Disabled token?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

Okay, okay, okay... old thread but I have a question and don't want to start a new thread...

So, Major Vynder says if I have a Weapons Disabled token I can roll an additional green die.  Can I do a reload action, even when I don't NEED to reload, just to get the Weapon's Disabled token?

Depends on reference card text. 

If it says “can” or “may” flip then yes. If it says must then no. 

But why waste the reload when you can slam? (Or focus, or Tl ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great question, @Boba Rick! I think the answer is yes. Here's the Reload Action rules info:

"To reload, choose any number of the ship's equipped, discarded Torpedo or Missile Upgrade cards and flip them faceup, then assign the ship a weapons disabled token."

It has been established that "any number" includes zero, right? If so, you're set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Depends on reference card text. 

If it says “can” or “may” flip then yes. If it says must then no. 

But why waste the reload when you can slam? (Or focus, or Tl ) 

Well, I know it's a corner case but I may already have a TL and SLAMing might get me too close to use ordinance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...