Jump to content
Tarvalar

Disappointed with Mini Size

Recommended Posts

I think folks need to remember that FFG are going for a totally different corner of the market here. 

I'm a wargamer at heart, having grown up with GW games like Warhammer 40K, Necromunda and Mordheim. When I got into these games in my youth, I picked up the WEG Star Wars Miniature Battles rulebooks for the sole purpose of playing a game like 40K in a Star Wars setting. 

IA will continue, as that appeals, again, to a different gamer, with it's board game esque focus. And that's OK. 

For me, nothing beats the feeling of seeing a fully painted army of miniatures on display or in a display cabinet. Star Wars Legion looks like it will be replacing 40K as my miniature game hobby of choice. 

I, for one, am super excited by this prospect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Shameful display

My Friends and I are wargamer, at heart. We play Bolt Action, Infinity, Test of Honour, 40k, and so on.

And yes, we also play IA. x-wing, and armada.

And to be honest, none of us are interested in putting money there.
Not that we don't like the idea of the game per se. But too late FFG, you had us with IA. We are not about to again spend so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Kiwi Rat said:

Now FFG will have two "infantry skirmish" games with roughly the same size of figures,

This is the part that confuses me. It was already dead easy to take IA off the grid and play a free movement type wargame using that system, this just feels like a massive duplication of effort.  

What im now wondering is whether IA has been doing exceptionally poorly. I know the IA boards generate way less traffic than the x-wing or Armada ones do. I'm starting to wonder if sales of IA are even lower than I thought and this is intended as a replacement rather than an addition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Sarcastaball

I'm disappointed that the Star Destroyers in Armada aren't sized for X-Wing.  I wanted Star Destroyers to fight my X-wing squad.  And I bought Aramda and got those squadron packs and the X-wings in them don't match the ones for my X-wing game making them a waste.  Its kinda annoying that different games don't work together.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Guest Sarcastaball said:

I'm disappointed that the Star Destroyers in Armada aren't sized for X-Wing.  I wanted Star Destroyers to fight my X-wing squad.  And I bought Aramda and got those squadron packs and the X-wings in them don't match the ones for my X-wing game making them a waste.  Its kinda annoying that different games don't work together.  

Username checks out ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

This is the part that confuses me. It was already dead easy to take IA off the grid and play a free movement type wargame using that system, this just feels like a massive duplication of effort.  

What im now wondering is whether IA has been doing exceptionally poorly. I know the IA boards generate way less traffic than the x-wing or Armada ones do. I'm starting to wonder if sales of IA are even lower than I thought and this is intended as a replacement rather than an addition.

Definitely what I'm worried about.

 

I'm trying hard to stay optimistic, but when all we get is essentially "The app is in production, so you can quit asking" while a similar mini game is announced, it's hard to not worry.  IA communication with fans has been abysmal this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Definitely what I'm worried about.

 

I'm trying hard to stay optimistic, but when all we get is essentially "The app is in production, so you can quit asking" while a similar mini game is announced, it's hard to not worry.  IA communication with fans has been abysmal this year.

Personally, I wasn't expecting any IA announcements on GenCon. I mean, we still have an entire large box expansion and a blister wave announced, what's more to expect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, player1750031 said:

Personally, I wasn't expecting any IA announcements on GenCon. I mean, we still have an entire large box expansion and a blister wave announced, what's more to expect?

I guess at the very least, I expected more news on the app.  A tentative release date (even just the expected quarter) would've been nice.  A new blister wave to accompany it would've been better.  Back in 2015 and early 2016, we had multiple waves announced at a time that were unreleased.  I think we had as many as three, maybe four in the past.  

 

We know the app is in production, and those of us, they've always told us that when asked at cons.  I don't know if we can even call this "news".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

We know the app is in production, and those of us, they've always told us that when asked at cons.  I don't know if we can even call this "news".

Do we? I have never seen a single statement from a FFG employee saying anything at all about an IA app, nor have I seen anyone explicitly state that they heard such a thing from FFG at an event. From my perspective the entire idea of an IA app seemed to spontaneously self generate from a single thread on the IA boards when somebody asked a question

"does any know if there will be an app?"

"I do t know, but probably some day, they just did one fore decent and mansions of madness"

"yeah, seems like a thing they are doing these days"

different thread

"someone said there was an app in the works"

yet a different thread

"there is an app coming, someone said so in another thread"

several threads

"we all know they're doing an app"

few months later

"how come the app isn't out yet?"

few months later

"it's been a year since they promised us an app"

 

im not saying they DIDN'T  announce an app at some show, but I have seen the above rumor chain too many times ...

 

so, do you actually have hard and fast data on that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2017 at 0:02 AM, Norsehound said:

Perhaps the market that is playing Warhammer at this very moment?

Meanwhile those of us who would have been drawn in by Epic 40K have to hang out in Armada for a bit longer I suppose...

Nope there plenty of people that don't play either that have already put in their pre-order for legion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

I'm not saying they DIDN'T  announce an app at some show, but I have seen the above rumor chain too many times ...

 

so, do you actually have hard and fast data on that?

I believe they said the app was in production at the Gencon in-flight report (where Legion was announced)

 

QS =D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

Do we? I have never seen a single statement from a FFG employee saying anything at all about an IA app, nor have I seen anyone explicitly state that they heard such a thing from FFG at an event. From my perspective the entire idea of an IA app seemed to spontaneously self generate from a single thread on the IA boards when somebody asked a question

"does any know if there will be an app?"

"I do t know, but probably some day, they just did one fore decent and mansions of madness"

"yeah, seems like a thing they are doing these days"

different thread

"someone said there was an app in the works"

yet a different thread

"there is an app coming, someone said so in another thread"

several threads

"we all know they're doing an app"

few months later

"how come the app isn't out yet?"

few months later

"it's been a year since they promised us an app"

 

im not saying they DIDN'T  announce an app at some show, but I have seen the above rumor chain too many times ...

 

so, do you actually have hard and fast data on that?

Last year's Gencon the president of the company said the app is being worked on. This past Gencon the head of design said it is currently in testing. There's video evidence available on the internet if you need that. I'm sorry you missed that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2017 at 9:51 AM, Guest Ron said:
The new SW Legions should be a hardback book to use with Imperial Assault figures.  I'm looking a you Alpha Strike for inspiration.  Imperial Assault figures would get a nice sales increase.  Again, not going to happen

I think this would be a great idea. I could reuse my IA figures for a third play type (beyond IA campaign and skirmish) and it would inspire me to buy even more IA stormtrooper and rebel trooper figures plus conversion kit / rulebook etc. As it is, FFG get enough of my money for Xwing, Armada, IA and the LCG so I'm going to have to give this one a miss.

If it had come out before Imperial Assault, things may have been different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was actually thinking the Legion scale would be smaller - say flames of war scale. Then you could have "big" battles with multiple AT-ATs, starship support, Y wing bombing runs etc etc, as well as options for really cool plastic terrain - gun emplacements, trenches, shield generators etc.

Having said that, I'm wondering if the star wars GCW era can really sustain a game like this. Whenever I have seen RTS with a rebel ground army it hasn't been convincing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest SRSn1per
20 minutes ago, Ophion said:

I was actually thinking the Legion scale would be smaller - say flames of war scale. Then you could have "big" battles with multiple AT-ATs, starship support, Y wing bombing runs etc etc, as well as options for really cool plastic terrain - gun emplacements, trenches, shield generators etc.

Having said that, I'm wondering if the star wars GCW era can really sustain a game like this. Whenever I have seen RTS with a rebel ground army it hasn't been convincing.

 

Alex had stated he can only discuss the core set which is the GCW but also said if they could go into the "prequels that would be cool." So, who knows it seems like a prime time to sculpt the whole cannon universe to date. I could totally get into a Kylo Ren commander for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

Do we? I have never seen a single statement from a FFG employee saying anything at all about an IA app, nor have I seen anyone explicitly state that they heard such a thing from FFG at an event. From my perspective the entire idea of an IA app seemed to spontaneously self generate from a single thread on the IA boards when somebody asked a question

"does any know if there will be an app?"

"I do t know, but probably some day, they just did one fore decent and mansions of madness"

"yeah, seems like a thing they are doing these days"

different thread

"someone said there was an app in the works"

yet a different thread

"there is an app coming, someone said so in another thread"

several threads

"we all know they're doing an app"

few months later

"how come the app isn't out yet?"

few months later

"it's been a year since they promised us an app"

 

im not saying they DIDN'T  announce an app at some show, but I have seen the above rumor chain too many times ...

 

so, do you actually have hard and fast data on that?

I realize there are a lot of rumors floating around, but it seems that's simply because some people weren't paying attention at Worlds.

 

FFG explicitly stated that the app was still in development.  In fact, their statement there was little different than what we got on Friday- thus, why I don't really view what we got at GC as news at all.

Edited by subtrendy2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me its the height of the bases that is putting me off rather than the size of the actual models (even though i would have liked them to be smaller so you could have larger conflicts). GW 40k Bases are good as they dont make the model look like they are wearing high heels. 

 

Ive never played IA as looks to role playey for me but the below sums it up

On 8/18/2017 at 8:23 PM, Hawkstrike said:

Same here.  Battle of Hoth, Battle of Scarif ... those movie moments where you have air & ground units, infantry and vehicles all mixing it up.  Such a missed opportunity IMO.  

FFG, please fill in the blank: X-Wing: Armada :: Imperial Assault : __________.

would rather of had smaller less detailed minis for bigger battles!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not whether the minis are interchangeable it is the problem that the character cards for AI are different than SWL. So FFG would need to release character card packs to allow existing AI fugures to operate in the SWL world. Personally, I think this would be awesome if the figures were interchangeable and all you needed were adapt packs to use them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...