Cubanboy

Excitement

3 minutes ago, Mep said:

@FatherTurin In the end, there are only so many people who play these games. FFG with their SW license has done a good job growing the player base but I don't think there is enough players to go around for all these different games. Something is going to fall.

Plenty of people who play classic table top games don't like space or aerial combat but love star wars.  This just appeals to a new type of gamer honestly.  Sure, people may give up on a different FFG SW game for Legion but I would assume a large group of players will be those disenfranchised with their current games that they will give it a try.  With the release being early 2018 that will be more than enough time for the euphoria that is 8th ed 40k to wear off.  Is FFG saturating the market?  sure.  We are in the golden age of gaming and the bubble will burst eventually.  Be thankful they don't kick start every new game and at least try to care about organized play and game balance.  It could be much worse.  If anything, I expect the SW LCG to die off officially while they promote the much more profitable Destiny.

Legion has donee an amazing job of getting me onboard.  The game hits all the points that would draw me in.  The command cards are fantastic.  I love the idea of each Commander bringing a different feel to an army in a way other than by their statline.  I love the streamlined measurements. I love that you don't have to buy big old army books and dig through pages and pages to find the stats for some random unit.  I love that it does not use tables and charts and instead keeps the focus on the table.  The miniatures, despite what many have said, are top notch.  And leave me confident that future releases will look great as well.  I love the objective and deployment cards and how they work together to create an interesting scenario without having to read an army or scenario book.  I like that a vehicle feels powerful and it's presence on the battlefield is more than just being another unit.  The force powers and upgrades are great.  Most of all the focus on terrain and vertical movement with the climbing and jumping abilities are awesome.  I can't wait to see what legion brings in the future.

I don't get why so many people seem to think there's no room for a game like Legion to exist without it sucking the life out of another FFG game. I like SW, but space combat games never really appealed to me and so I never bought into X-Wing or Armada. Destiny is a CCG and I already spend a lot of money on a card game. As a tile-based board game IA was a pass for me. I came close to buying into Runewars but at the time I wasn't interested in an unfamiliar universe. I've put more money than I care to admit into 40k and I preordered the core set and every expansion for Legion the same week I heard about it. There is a demand here that is not met by existing Star Wars tabletop games and there will be more like me, I guarantee it.

Short of FFG fanboys (not that it's a bad thing, great company), most people I know either like fantasy or sci-fi primarily. I know very little that'll play both Legion and Runewars. They are very different games, that appeal to different niches in the larger overall community.  Runewars was obviously released to capitalize on the lack of fantasy rank and file combat. Legion was obviously released, to compete in the sci-fi arena. Many big companies (Mantic, Warlord, GW, etc.) dip their toes into both, and it doesn't necessarily spell doom for the other. There are things I love about Runewars which I'll never get from Legion (I think the initiative and dual-dial mechanics are amazing, as well as the positioning and movement). And vice-versa for legion (Star Wars... OK that's about it, lol).

All this said, the field is growing larger every year. Steamforge Games's GodTear, Hate, Confrontation Rebirth, etc. It's definitely highly competitive, especially with KS. And at some point, some systems are simply going to have to die. That said, I don't think Legion will go anywhere for a long time (unless the IP is yanked for some reason). And assuming FFG planned Runewars smartly, it should be able to survive as well.

Edited by Zeelobby

I'm mostly excited about the range of units that could be potentially added to this game.

We haven't even reached the release date of the core set and we've already had the next 2 unit expansions for the empire revealed.

9 hours ago, Zeelobby said:

Short of FFG fanboys (not that it's a bad thing, great company), most people I know either like fantasy or sci-fi primarily. I know very little that'll play both Legion and Runewars. They are very different games, that appeal to different niches in the larger overall community.  Runewars was obviously released to capitalize on the lack of fantasy rank and file combat. Legion was obviously released, to compete in the sci-fi arena. Many big companies (Mantic, Warlord, GW, etc.) dip their toes into both, and it doesn't necessarily spell doom for the other. There are things I love about Runewars which I'll never get from Legion (I think the initiative and dual-dial mechanics are amazing, as well as the positioning and movement). And vice-versa for legion (Star Wars... OK that's about it, lol).

All this said, the field is growing larger every year. Steamforge Games's GodTear, Hate, Confrontation Rebirth, etc. It's definitely highly competitive, especially with KS. And at some point, some systems are simply going to have to die. That said, I don't think Legion will go anywhere for a long time (unless the IP is yanked for some reason). And assuming FFG planned Runewars smartly, it should be able to survive as well.

I personally would play both but runewars requires more painting skill. 

10 hours ago, Toys said:

I don't get why so many people seem to think there's no room for a game like Legion to exist without it sucking the life out of another FFG game. I like SW, but space combat games never really appealed to me and so I never bought into X-Wing or Armada. Destiny is a CCG and I already spend a lot of money on a card game. As a tile-based board game IA was a pass for me. I came close to buying into Runewars but at the time I wasn't interested in an unfamiliar universe. I've put more money than I care to admit into 40k and I preordered the core set and every expansion for Legion the same week I heard about it. There is a demand here that is not met by existing Star Wars tabletop games and there will be more like me, I guarantee it.

Same here. I love SW with a passion but x-wing didn’t seem that good and I’m more drawn to huge ships. Armada was going to become my hobby but then Legion was announced and I dont have the wallet for both. IA was more stroy driven and that wasn’t my thing with a pay for each campaign ‘chapter’. And card games are not my thing