Jump to content
Cubanboy

Excitement

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, RogueLieutenant said:

I'm not sure how excited I am lol. It looks really cool, but as somone who's neck deep in Imperial Assault skirmish, it almost feels like a bretrayal lol. :P

In all honesty, I'm kind of confused by this game. I know nothing about it other than what I read in the announcement post and watching the trailer (and reading a few forum posts here), but how is this that different from just a new (dedicated) IA skirmish game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm more disappointed.  Too much overlap in size, scale, and concept with IA skirmish, unassembled and unpainted, no practical way to recreate the kind of ground battles I want: five AT-ATs with some AT-STs and snowtroopers advancing over the tundra against Rebel fortifications backed up by T-47s ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

I'm more disappointed.  Too much overlap in size, scale, and concept with IA skirmish, unassembled and unpainted, no practical way to recreate the kind of ground battles I want: five AT-ATs with some AT-STs and snowtroopers advancing over the tundra against Rebel fortifications backed up by T-47s ...

while I am excited, i also feel you there.  I wish they went smaller not bigger in comparison to IA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bcmickle said:

In all honesty, I'm kind of confused by this game. I know nothing about it other than what I read in the announcement post and watching the trailer (and reading a few forum posts here), but how is this that different from just a new (dedicated) IA skirmish game?

different rules, its free flowing meaning you won't be moving X tiles or shooting X tiles. 

It will be less board game, more table top wargame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, there are far too many miniature games like this. They done screwed up. This will compete directly with Runewars and detract from X-wing and Armada. 

IA is still a different game than this. It is more like chess with dice than a free form miniature game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mep said:

Personally, there are far too many miniature games like this. They done screwed up. This will compete directly with Runewars and detract from X-wing and Armada. 

IA is still a different game than this. It is more like chess with dice than a free form miniature game.

You underestimate the power of the Star Wars IP.

Also Meparch? from SaberWing?  could it be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BergerFett said:

You underestimate the power of the Star Wars IP.

Also Meparch? from SaberWing?  could it be?

Yes it is, actually.

Sadly the star wars IP makes x-wing huge, everything else seems to limp on. Still the SW IP is bigger than Runewars, which is why I don't understand why they would compete with themselves like that. Everyone is going to drop Runewars for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mep said:

Yes it is, actually.

Sadly the star wars IP makes x-wing huge, everything else seems to limp on. Still the SW IP is bigger than Runewars, which is why I don't understand why they would compete with themselves like that. Everyone is going to drop Runewars for this.

I have to admit, I was all in on RuneWars. Seriously, I was throwing tons of cash at that universe....Until today. It's Star Wars, come on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, power500500 said:

I have to admit, I was all in on RuneWars. Seriously, I was throwing tons of cash at that universe....Until today. It's Star Wars, come on!

I'm actually a little bitter they released these games like this.  My friends and I have dumped a couple hundred dollars into Runewars now and we never would have bought into that game if this was announced.  Talking to a few of them we might not buy in at all because of this.  This was dirty tactics by FFG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BergerFett the SW IP is strong but somewhat in decline over the years. Toy sales and the likes are not as strong as they used to be. And the newer generations are more and more tied to a variety of IP's.
Furthermore there's A LOT of SW IP's out there and a lot of SW mini games under the same umbrella.

Granted in space, on the ground. Skirmish, rpg and mass combat scales.
But this does seem to overlap a lot with other games. And doesn't do anything that exciting.

Especially since all the cool Rebel toys are mostly in space. The Rebel popularity on the ground during the Rebellion era is quite lackluster. It'll sell but I don't think it'll have the impact X-Wing had. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mep said:

Yes it is, actually.

Sadly the star wars IP makes x-wing huge, everything else seems to limp on. Still the SW IP is bigger than Runewars, which is why I don't understand why they would compete with themselves like that. Everyone is going to drop Runewars for this.

<---YiznoII

People don't like Star Wars (GASP) but they like High Fantasy.  They compete with themselves because its different market share.  With Games Workshop killing off Classic Fantasy it left a hole for a Rank and File combat game (enter Runewars).  X-wing is popular because its arguably the most iconic and also arguably the easiest to get into.  while the game has depth, its not nearly as punishing as say Armada where if you deploy wrong you have lost the game before it starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Just visiting 1st time

What a toxic group of people post here. Sad that this is what I find for my first visit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bigdork said:

I'm actually a little bitter they released these games like this.  My friends and I have dumped a couple hundred dollars into Runewars now and we never would have bought into that game if this was announced.  Talking to a few of them we might not buy in at all because of this.  This was dirty tactics by FFG.

Well they definitely knew what they were doing on this one. They said they had been developing Legion for years so you know that rushed Rune Wars ahead of Star Wars just because they knew people would DEFINITELY buy Star Wars then have both. I guess you can't blame them, it's a business.

Edited by power500500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bigdork said:

I'm actually a little bitter they released these games like this.  My friends and I have dumped a couple hundred dollars into Runewars now and we never would have bought into that game if this was announced.  Talking to a few of them we might not buy in at all because of this.  This was dirty tactics by FFG.

To be fair thats gaming.  Take a look at what happened over the summer you had new games get announced and then be crushed under the weight of what is 40k 8th edition.  There will always be something shinier and newer on the horizon.

I won't lie, I am 100% out of Rune Wars elves now.  I wasn't really in on them but the temptation was there now its gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, power500500 said:

Well they definitely knew what they were doing on this one. They said they had been developing Legion for years so you know that rushed Rune Wars ahead of Star Wars just because they knew people would DEFINITELY buy Star Wars then have both. I guess you can't blame them, it's a business.

/tin_foil_hat

runewars was the beta test for legion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Guest Just visiting 1st time said:

What a toxic group of people post here. Sad that this is what I find for my first visit. 

I'm sorry you find the thread toxic! I think we're all just a little surprised and disappointed at this announcement. It'll be interesting to see how it develops, but it seems to involve just a handful of head-scratching decisions that make it hard to get really enthusiastic. If this game looks like your cup of tea, though, I'm glad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FFG did this with Battlelore jumping to Rune Wars and now this.
I know SW is a big IP. I'm a big Classic Trilogy fan but this does look bad on their part.

But they'll milk SW for all it's worth. Probably have too. Thing is expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mep said:

Personally, there are far too many miniature games like this. They done screwed up. This will compete directly with Runewars and detract from X-wing and Armada. 

IA is still a different game than this. It is more like chess with dice than a free form miniature game.

I don't know, I think this game is designed in every way to compete with a completely different sci fi miniatures wargame.  Hint: they both involve empires.

In all seriousness, I think the game will be different enough to not cannibalize other FFG games too badly.  It is going to play entirely differently from Runewars, for example, and if people like that system then even the setting may not be enough of a draw.  

Then again, I am kind of proof that you are right.  I never got super into Runewars (instead I got sucked back into the black hole that is GW), and now I'm looking to unload what I do have, as well as my Imperial Assault stuff, to make room for this alongside my 40k and AoS armies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×