Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DrCthulhu

Don't fear the Legion?

117 posts in this topic

Is anyone else worried that the announcement of Star Wars Legions will kill any push for Runewars? I understand they are different systems and some people prefer fantasy (myself included) but I think the Star Wars IP is such a monster that Legion will essentially cannibalize most people's interest in Runewars...

I'm just worried the game isn't going to get a chance to grow the way it should.

Rentner65, maxam, Budgernaut and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

Absolutely, I don't have the space or money to own both and I must say the larger scale miniatures in Legion look a lot more detailed. I think they've even went for an improved material. The real kick in the teeth was that absolutely nothing got announced for Runewars!

Edit:
The current models are early resin samples, so it may well be the same plastic used for the print models.

Edited by Muz333

Not having seen the gameplay demo yet, I think we can quite confidently say they will play VERY differently, with absolutely no thematic overlap, so certainly there's room for both to exist. Will there be people that only have time, money, and attention for one and choose Legion over Runewars? Yeah, gotta figure so, but I have to imagine the Imperial Assault die-hards are more upset than we are.

Willange, maxam, Rentner65 and 1 other like this

Yeah, I gotta say I'm not very pleased to see this. I mean as long as the game doesn't die out entirely I'm ok because the local scene was never going to be very big to begin with. Man, it does seem like FFG finds a way to burn me everytime I buy in to one of their systems. Warhammer Diskwars, Warhammer Quest adventure card game, now this.

2 minutes ago, Murnaz said:

Yeah, I gotta say I'm not very pleased to see this. I mean as long as the game doesn't die out entirely I'm ok because the local scene was never going to be very big to begin with. Man, it does seem like FFG finds a way to burn me everytime I buy in to one of their systems. Warhammer Diskwars, Warhammer Quest adventure card game, now this.

If Runewars material was also announced it would have taken the sting out of it.

Rentner65, S0L, Murnaz and 3 others like this

I mean, if Runewars is their Warhammer Fantasy game and this is their 40K, I understand.

But my interest in Legion is pretty nil. I like Star Wars a lot, but in a minis game I want more factions, variety of units and so on.

Star Wars is, surprisingly, a bit too "realistic" for that. Rows of Stormtroopers firing at squads of generic Rebels doesn't do it for me. Star Wars to me is all about the smaller scale action on the ground, and space battles.

Looks like from the demos its played on a very small battlefield, 2x2 possibly... and lots of terrain (could be gencon thing). 

All that being said the new Terrinoth RPG does gives me some hope because it looks like they are trying to build up the IP which can only help Runewars down the line.

maxam likes this

I can't speak for anyone else, but so far Legion is doing nothing for me.  Meanwhile, I've been extremely pleased with everything about Runewars. Luckily there are no AT-ATs, or else I might have been swayed.

Jukey likes this

They already explained it will play differently. That it uses coherency and not trays, that it uses a movement template where you measure the distance out on the ruler thing, then put the circle displacement thing and they all have to be on the circle when placed.

I’m very interested to see the game. But I doubt it’s a runewars killer.

I can't think of many things more boring to paint than a starwars miniatures game. White stormtroopers and drab rebels. The scale isn't exciting either. You can't get any of the huge vehicles! 

Darthain and Contrapulator like this

I'm  torn... on the one hand I prefer fantasy and Runewars looks awesome (I've been lusting after it for a year) but it seems pretty likely to me that Legion will have a much larger player base, and actually getting to play a game I've invested in is a huge draw for me, even if it isn't quite the perfect game for me. I'm gonna wait on more information and maybe try a demo of each before I really make a decision... which unfortunately means no minis game for me for a while :/

I just see this as a slightly bigger IA with mechanics closer to armada/runewars. I was hoping it was going to be 15mm and have larger units like AT-ATs so kinda meh on the game until I see it in action.

Hawkman2000 and Bhelliom like this

Well, you need a critical mass of players for a game to be successful. Star wars IP will provide that mass. You may not want to jump ship, but you will.

I don't understand why FFG decided to complete with themselves so early in Runewars.

I agree in that I wish it was a smaller scale that could incorporate larger vehicles like AT-ATs, AT-TEs, etc. I'm also disappointed they didn't start with something other than the OT, like the PT or ST. 

That said, I think something is going to be lost in the translation. In the past, SW minis games like the old WOTC one used grid maps that had built in cover and obstacles to help Jedi/Sith make the haul downfield to all the troopers shooting them. IA also did a good job with this issue. With Legion, I'm interested to know how the melee characters will stand a solid chance against ranged Stormtroopers (accuracy jokes not withstanding). 40k has things like power armor that stop damage, but Endor Trooper have no such protection. Granted Vader does have armor and Jedi/Sith can deflect, but we've not often seen them deflect every shot when being targeted in large numbers. 

I see Legion as slightly bad news for RW, because now minis game resources are going to a much bigger fish, that's also easier to sell. I'm sure we'll see the four armies in RW filled out, but beyond that seems cloudy. 

Runewars will be a year old by the time this comes out and all 4 factions will be released. 

But...it will have just got going by that point. Seems odd timing. 

Compeltely different games mechanically speaking, sure, but there will definitely be a squeeze on player bases. 

Youre telling me there aren't thousands of people right now that have been waiting for the Elves or Uthuk and are now jumping ship to Legion? 

On Legion itself...

I own X-Wing. A lot of it. Then I got Imperial Assault, because it's two excellent games in one and basically 'Star Wars action figures: the game'. Then I got Armada, because awesome system + Star destroyers and swarms of fighters. 

I'm sure Legion will have an awesome ruleset, but it doesn't differentiate itself to me enough, compared to the others. 

At its current scale it'd just feel like I'm buying all the Imperial Assault figures all over again. 

Had it been 15mm, with big blobs of troopers, airspeeders, TIEs and X-Wings in orbit, AT-STs and AT-ATs then it'd feel like a getting a new game and experience. 

I have no interest in Star Wars anymore, burned myself out on x-wing and bought into Armada only to see it die out (locally). And frankly I'm just sick of the franchise now.

But I'm VERY interested in seeing what FFG does with a skirmish level miniature game that focuses on ranged combat! Ive long been a fan of 40k but only got into it and started my first army with the release of 8th but to be honest I had expected the ruleset to step outside of the box a little more. Imagine if FFG would have been allowed to write the ruleset for 40k, that could have been an amazing game.

For me, it looks like a neat game.  If I didn't already own IA, then I'd probably be excited about it.  For me though, this basically just looks like skirmish-only IA freed from a grid with an increased focus on the upgrades and some potentially interesting commander mechanics.  Basically, I don't need 2 star wars skirmish games.

I waited until it was finally announced before posting my thoughts/feelings. I like Runewars, and that's all that matters. Are other people going to be more interested in Legion? Maybe. But I have a core set and a bunch of Waiqar expansions that I'm still working on painting, and that's what's important to me. We just finished our Escalation League, so hopefully guys turn up for the monthly tournaments. Either way, I can set up games with people and just have fun. And when people see me having fun at the shop, they'll be interested. And if they're never interested because they're playing Legion? Well, I'm having fun painting and playing with other like-minded Runewars fans, regardless of how many or how few of us there are.

Having just read through FFGs 3 webpages on it (announcement, product page and showcase - why do FFG do that!?) here's some thoughts:

- in an odd way (despite not being rank and file) this is quite similar to the Song of Ice and Fire game. Attack rolls for each figure. Defense rolls for each hit, GW style. And a deck of cards bespoke to your chosen commander

- that is cool; I like the idea of this core command deck, but it being tweaked depending on commander choice. 

- really does look more and like 'FFG do 40K'. And that's a game I've wanted for years. 

- it's just the scale that a real shame to me. 'Epic battles' is plastered all over the marketing and yet it's going to be a few troopers vs a few troopers isn't it? 

The demo game is less than half a full army.  The full game will need a 6x3 board.  Demo game is 2 units of 5 troopers each, a vehicle unit, and a commander (Luke/Vader) for each side.  I could easily see 30 troopers on an army with room for a couple other things to augment.  That's not a huge scale for the battle, sure, but it is a heck of a lot bigger than Imperial Assault.

Willange likes this