CaribbeanNinja

"Something Big is coming"

2 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

And the Force Friday 2 product is....

A 2 player TLJ Destiny game.

Great, thanks FFG. Something else for Armada, XW or IA would have been better. Oh well.

Just because the product "In-Hand" on Friday is Destiny, that does not preclude new The Last Jedi ships from being announced.  We may still get something cool for Armada and X-Wing spoled tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

And the Force Friday 2 product is....

A 2 player TLJ Destiny game.

Great, thanks FFG. Something else for Armada, XW or IA would have been better. Oh well.

Wheeeeeee! Great job guys. You made all those stores buy a product they won't be able to sell by not telling them it's a 2 player dice game that no one wants. You guys at FFG are the ultimate dark lords of the sith. Lol. 

How is destiny doing? I haven't really heard anything whether it's selling good or bad... other than stores had trouble keeping it in stock after its release. Ive also seen a number of adopters in my area with tackle boxes full of dice. 

I was under the impression it was doing somewhat well. Am I mistaken?

5 hours ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

How is destiny doing? I haven't really heard anything whether it's selling good or bad... other than stores had trouble keeping it in stock after its release. Ive also seen a number of adopters in my area with tackle boxes full of dice. 

I don't care about Destiny. It pales in comparison to Decipher's CCG (RIP) which had a much more elegant system and deeper/richer feeling.

5 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

I don't care about Destiny. It pales in comparison to Decipher's CCG (RIP) which had a much more elegant system and deeper/richer feeling.

So **** true! The attack on Hoth with the shield generator, the attack run in the DS trench, the Jedi training ! So good stuff in Decipher's CCG!

Edited by Ritalbringer

11 hours ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

I think Destiny is the <<insert reviled pop star here>> of FFG's games.  Everyone claims not to like it, yet it continues to sell well.

13 minutes ago, carolina_bryan said:

I think Destiny is the <<insert reviled pop star here>> of FFG's games.  Everyone claims not to like it, yet it continues to sell well.

Aye, ive even seen Armada players engage in a game of it. Savage - the gaming equivalent of Vichy France :lol:

6 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

I was a volunteer for Decipher and the Star Wars CCG back in the day! Still have my old decks and most of my sets. Such good times!

1 hour ago, carolina_bryan said:

It's easy to play, it appears to be considerably cheaper than other FFG offerings, and it's Star Wars.  Of course it sells.

It will also be plagued by a crazy tight meta and insane power creep to drive sales.

5 minutes ago, kmanweiss said:

It's easy to play, it appears to be considerably cheaper than other FFG offerings, and it's Star Wars.  Of course it sells.

It will also be plagued by a crazy tight meta and insane power creep to drive sales.

What do you mean "will be"? As a (soon to be) former player, the power creep hit and it hit HARD. It's a fun enough game if you enjoy Magic the Gathering style power creep, but there's good decks and bad decks, and good decks beat bad ones 98% of the time. There's like 5, maybe 10 decks in the meta (rounding, I'm not actually going to consider the numbers) and it gets frustrating to play as it's really not all that much fun anymore. I used to like it, and I like playing with friends, but taking it to the store is an exercise in not having much fun anymore.

48 minutes ago, Stasy said:

My FLGS owner is pretty upset. He has ordered in Destiny for one or two guy who wanted to try it, but it's non-existent locally otherwise. That's $100 of product he'll struggle to move.

womp-womp 

That sucks. 

This offering wasn't nearly as exciting as the new X-Wing core from the first Force Friday. 

To me this came as an almost desperate attempt to push Destiny. 

I stopped at Target earlier today, and I saw dozens of copies of it everywhere. It doesn't look to be moving at all. 

This may be a misstep. 

2 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

This is not true at all,  Destiny is not cheap if you want to stay current and relatively complete.  I did a little math the other day and found that I could stay Current in Armada and likely Legion for about 50% less than it costs to stay current in Destiny, and I think that's a conservative estimate.  Of course this only takes into account expansions and staying current as they come out.  I actually think I could get 2 of every Armada Expansion and still have enough to stay current in Legion (assuming similar expansion time tables) for less than it costs to stay current in Destiny.

I never thought I would say this but Armada is cheap compared to Destiny and you get cool models to display.  After doing the math the decision was easy to start cutting way back on Destiny.  It's a fun game but the tournament scene is becoming much less fun.  Still OK for casual play though.

2 minutes ago, Thrindal said:

This is not true at all,  Destiny is not cheap if you want to stay current and relatively complete.  I did a little math the other day and found that I could stay Current in Armada and likely Legion for about 50% less than it costs to stay current in Destiny, and I think that's a conservative estimate.  Of course this only takes into account expansions and staying current as they come out.  I actually think I could get 2 of every Armada Expansion and still have enough to stay current in Legion (assuming similar expansion time tables) for less than it costs to stay current in Destiny.

I never thought I would say this but Armada is cheap compared to Destiny and you get cool models to display.  After doing the math the decision was easy to start cutting way back on Destiny.  It's a fun game but the tournament scene is becoming much less fun.  Still OK for casual play though.

Part of that is also the retiring model.  When something comes out for Destiny, you have to buy it now, because when it goes out of print, the plan is for it to be gone for good.

Whereas, at least with Armada/X-Wing, if you can't afford something of a wave right away, you can at least go back in 12 months and pick it up when you do.  Prioritising your Purchases and moving forward slow.  If something is out of print, it'll come back eventually.  Which leads, of course, to simply be able to budget easier for it.

4 minutes ago, Thrindal said:

That's why he said it appears to be cheaper. The starter set is cheap, and simple. Anyone who's played a CCG before knows that it's a wallet killer.

15 hours ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

It's been weird. Initially, demand far outpaced supply and the game was on fire. You couldn't find it anywhere. It was really popular and well-reviewed.

Lately, I've been hearing about lots of folks dropping out. @geek19 and I (and some of our other friends) are also on the way out because the game went from reminding me of what I liked about my old MtG days to reminding me of what I hated about my old MtG days. Destiny went from packing my FLGS every Wednesday night to struggling to get folks to show unless there's a tournament, and even then it's really spotty. It's really hard to tell if it's going to take off once it gets better supported or if it's currently falling on its face. I really don't quite know how to feel about it overall.

14 minutes ago, Nostromoid said:

That's why he said it appears to be cheaper. The starter set is cheap, and simple. Anyone who's played a CCG before knows that it's a wallet killer.

Exactly, thank you.

It appears to be cheaper.  $15 for a starter deck and dice! What a deal!  X-wing is $30 and you barely get enough to play.  Armada is $100 and you barely get enough to play.  Nowhere near a full game though, where Destiny is ready to play right out of the package!

Except there are 160 cards per series, and they already have 3 series released I think.  Each blind booster is $3, but only has 5 cards and it's randomized.  Probably going to need at least a case of each series to stay half way competitive.  2 case minimum to have a chance of getting everything.  So you get tons of duplicate cards you don't want while trying to get that one rare card you need, only to have the next series make everything you tracked down worthless due to power creep.

And eventually they'll start retiring series so you can't even use them, just in case you've managed to not buy too much and struggle on with bare minimums.  Even the **** online CCGs pull this crap.

CCGs are a scourge in the gaming world.

1 hour ago, LiveWire X said:

I just stopped by my local store to pick something up and I noticed behind the counter they had an open shipping box with copies of the 2 player Destiny game. I asked him how many they've sold so far (at almost 3pm EST) and he said "None, so far."

I'm curious who it would even appeal to in a Force Friday II sort of way.  The Force Friday stuff is new stuff, big reveals, the sudden rush to get products.  Not a simple repackaging of the same product already sold on the same shelves. 

Established Destiny players already have their own decks and wouldn't gain anything by buying this.  I highly doubt anyone was waiting for FFII to pick up Destiny.  I doubt too many people are rushing to FLGSs to look for FFII products (as the event is really aimed at big box retailers). 

I bought my two copies.  The set has decent content.  Also, my FLGS was limiting us to one per person, so I ended up going to two Targets before I found one for sale.  It was the last copy for that store too.  It may depend on where you live, but Destiny is hardly limping along.

I understand the disappointment in not getting any new Armada toys on Force Friday, but I do think that Destiny is thriving and that this move to put the starters in Target will help it really take off.  In my opinion, it is a fun game that I enjoy playing with my girlfriend.  There's no way she'd ever attempt a game like Armada.  So, it has its place.  And that place is evidently NOT in an Armada thread based on the contempt for it found here.

7 hours ago, deogg said:

I was a volunteer for Decipher and the Star Wars CCG back in the day! Still have my old decks and most of my sets. Such good times!

Out of curiosity, don't you play it anymore? I keep hearing people bemoan old games - if you like 'em, what's keeping you from playing? Lack of interest, tourneys, sold off your stuff (what for?)?

I am genuinely curious, having never been in a position where I must give up a game (having never picked one up before Armada).

2 hours ago, RookiePilot said:

So, it has its place.  And that place is evidently NOT in an Armada thread based on the contempt for it found here.

I mean, yeah.

But the Contempt isn't limited here....  Really, the Contempt spreads everywhere outside of the Destiny Forums...

Just the same as X-Wing shows Contempt to X-Wing, and IA and Legion will also show contempt to each other...  These are places to discuss certain games, and having the feeling that your game is being ignored for another is a common feeling throughout...  Its just doubled-down that, especially in this instance, there were other star wars games that were mentioned in the article - X-Wing, Destiny and IA...  And Armada was ignored.  Again.

Then the reveal is just for Destiny.  If it was pushed...  from the start...as pertaining to a single game, I think none of us would have really cared anywhere near as much...

Instead, we are discussing Armada in the Armada forums...  And sometimes, we don't like 'x' game is the way we keep ourselves focused on the certain game.

that is exactly the reason the forums are segregated.  You find like minded individuals in the appropriate places.

59 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

Out of curiosity, don't you play it anymore? I keep hearing people bemoan old games - if you like 'em, what's keeping you from playing? Lack of interest, tourneys, sold off your stuff (what for?)?

I am genuinely curious, having never been in a position where I must give up a game (having never picked one up before Armada).

Nope. Still play it occasionally, the problem is lack of opponents who can be challenging. I'm a hardcore strategy gamer but not a tournament attendee, so that's not the issue.

Back to my point, Destiny pales in comparison to it so it doesn't interest me although I'm sure it's decent. Netrunner on the other hand is fantastic....

Back on topic, I'm still open to the idea of the SSD, but equally for Sequel Trilogy stuff (the prequel stuff doesn't grab me though).

19 hours ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

Nobody else to play them with anymore is the big factor. I kept all my cards obviously (because hey, it's STAR WARS), but games die out, people move on to other stuff, it happens.