CaribbeanNinja

"Something Big is coming"

431 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, kmanweiss said:

The people that post on the forums for this game are a subset of a niche of players.  Sure, some of the people here relish for the idea of 1200+ point games...but even the majority of posters here think 450-500 would be plenty big. 

Other than the final battle of Corellian Conflict, which apparently had huge appeal to a very large group of Armada players and involves a ridiculous number of points, right? 😉

Edited by stackeffect

19 minutes ago, kmanweiss said:

The people that post on the forums for this game are a subset of a niche of players.  Sure, some of the people here relish for the idea of 1200+ point games...but even the majority of posters here think 450-500 would be plenty big.  I think Epic was a bad idea for X-Wing and I think it would be equally as bad for Armada.  Super expensive units that contain highly desirably upgrades and a game format that will hardly ever be utilized.  I'd prefer they continue to spend their effort on expanding the game for the vast majority of players.

I may be the outlier then, I play in four different groups, and as far as I know I am the only one that posts here (I think one more lurks) but most of them want larger games, and think that the basic game is just kind of small. I also think that the Epic format would be used much more with armada, now having said that none of the groups that I play in really do the tournaments, so if your group does that would be a difference but as long and as many people who have said that they want the Super Star Destroyer even if it does not see the table much (and I think it would see it more than you think) it would sell like hot cakes (I think anyway). 

cynanbloodbane and Megatronrex like this

1 hour ago, CDAT said:

I may be the outlier then, I play in four different groups, and as far as I know I am the only one that posts here (I think one more lurks) but most of them want larger games, and think that the basic game is just kind of small. I also think that the Epic format would be used much more with armada, now having said that none of the groups that I play in really do the tournaments, so if your group does that would be a difference but as long and as many people who have said that they want the Super Star Destroyer even if it does not see the table much (and I think it would see it more than you think) it would sell like hot cakes (I think anyway). 

This!

Too often casual play is forgotten. I know in my area, X-wing Epic play happens almost entirely in casual games. I honestly expect the same from Armada Epic play. Other than the rare Epic Tournament, it will be almost exclusively casual play where the SSD & other epic ships, see table time. 

While I enjoy tournament play, thats not why I got into this game. I will be able to play with friends and my kids... and their friends... and someday even with my grandkids. I know someday FFG will no longer support Armada. While I don't expect it to happen any time soon, it will not stop me from playing casually. 

But lets not forget that any Epic expansion will be loaded with upgrades that will see plenty of time in competitive play, because FFG is still a business.

One of the things that one of my local groups has started doing with casual play is each player makes a number of 150 point fleets equal to the number of players. We then place them face down in the middle of the mat and one by one pick a fleet, after we have picked all the fleets we then build our fleet by combining a number of them that was determined before we stated. After this put units on table and play. So for example last time we played this there were three players so we each made up three fleets, after we had picked three we discarded one and had a 300 point fleet, with no commanders and went at it. Fun was had by all, but not even close to a tournament play game, but that is not what we were looking for, I could see using epic in things like this easy.

cynanbloodbane likes this

We have started doing quite a few 4 player games. 2 players per side, 300 points each. ISDs are brutal in that. Watching an ISD & a GSD go full throttle into the Rebels, while the 2nd Imp slow rolls behind with an ISD & a VSD. There is just no way to hit the first fleet without getting mauled by the second without using the old Wave 2 toilet bowl.

1 hour ago, cynanbloodbane said:

We have started doing quite a few 4 player games. 2 players per side, 300 points each. ISDs are brutal in that. Watching an ISD & a GSD go full throttle into the Rebels, while the 2nd Imp slow rolls behind with an ISD & a VSD. There is just no way to hit the first fleet without getting mauled by the second without using the old Wave 2 toilet bowl.

What was really fun with our last game, we did not make you pick a side, so one player had both his sub-fleets Empire, I had both mine Rebel, and the last player had one of each (Gallent Haven backed up by TIE Fighters). We had a blast doing it.