Engine25

Wave 12 Announced!

40 minutes ago, Chibi-Nya said:

I'm surprised the first one lasted as long as it did TBH, those tiny shuttles aren't meant for dogfighting! They pretty much only use it for exploring and sneaking.

Shuttle craft have a long history of being expendable to show how mean the bad guys are and how serious the situation is for the good guys.   

Waiting for Phantom 3 with 4 different versions of Sabine.

Edited by GrimmyV

15 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

Shuttle craft have a long history of being expendable to show how mean the bad guys are and how serious the situation is for the good guys.   

Waiting for Phantom 3 with 4 different versions of Sabine.

Naw... Mandalorian Space Troopers w/Sabine and with Ezra.

On 18.8.2017 at 6:31 PM, Smudger13 said:

I hate to moan but they look awful. This game is becoming unrecognisably Star Wars in design, and I say that as someone who is loving playing it. 

Hey, Kid, it really is not FFGs fault when you are unable to recognize a typical Mandal Motors design or a Hutt paint Job. Now for not recognizing the typical Cygnus Spaceworks design. I have to assume you are just trolling, because every star wars fanatic should be able to see that link easily. 

Shuttle-CHRON.jpgRepublicattackshuttle.jpg

Imperial_Sentinel-class_shuttle.png

Eta-class_shuttle-GI.PNG
g2.jpg

Only one of those ain't canon …yet. 

The Gunboat is a silly ship, and has always been a silly ship.  It marked a low point in EU lore matched only by the Vong.  It's the ship that might finally convince me not to play Imperial, the point where everything that made the Imperial faction interesting and unique really does finally disappear.

1 hour ago, SEApocalypse said:

Hey, Kid, it really is not FFGs fault when you are unable to recognize a typical Mandal Motors design or a Hutt paint Job. Now for not recognizing the typical Cygnus Spaceworks design. I have to assume you are just trolling, because every star wars fanatic should be able to see that link easily. 

Why would I be trolling? This is a thread about wave 12 and I offered a personal opinion. I don't know what these ships are, more or less didn't know what any of the wave 11 ships were, and I probably won't buy any of them. I'm sure there are others who had a similar reaction. I'm pleased for those fans who do know what are and are excited. Personal preference, eh!? 

52 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

The Gunboat is a silly ship, and has always been a silly ship.  It marked a low point in EU lore matched only by the Vong.  It's the ship that might finally convince me not to play Imperial, the point where everything that made the Imperial faction interesting and unique really does finally disappear.

So because of one ship you throw up an entire faction?

I hear another one up there saying that these ships are not into the StarWars design..

Guys, free to think what do you want but, friendly, what the **** is your problem? I can't understand these thoughts. How to ruin self enjoying of a game, really? 

Why fans are so masochists some times? :-/

Edited by Cerve

6 minutes ago, Cerve said:

So because of one ship you throw up an entire faction?

I hear another one up there saying that these ships are not into the StarWars design..

Guys, free to think what do you want but, friendly, what the **** is your problem? I can't understand these thoughts. How to ruin self enjoying of a game, really? 

Why fans are so masochists some times? :-/

The Imperial faction isn't just ships with the Imperial logo on, it's a style of play.  That style of play is ******.  It got ****** in Wave 9, Wave 10 did nowhere near enough to fix it, Wave 11 stuck the boot in, and Wave 12 is just taking the piss.

The Imperial faction is dead.  There are some ships that have the Imperial logo on the back of their pilot cards but they're not Imperial, not in the way they play.

Edited by Stay On The Leader

13 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

The Imperial faction isn't just ships with the Imperial logo on, it's a style of play.  That style of play is ******.  It got ****** in Wave 9, Wave 10 did nowhere near enough to fix it, Wave 11 stuck the boot in, and Wave 12 is just taking the piss.

The Imperial faction is dead.  There are some ships that have the Imperial logo on the back of their pilot cards but they're not Imperial, not in the way they play.

Honestly, I am not gonna miss you. :)

24 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

Honestly, I am not gonna miss you. :)

He makes a very good point though even if the delivery might be lacking - Imperials was the low hull high agility faction, the high variance faction.

that changed roughly a year ago with defenders taking over. Non-swarm jousters are not imperial in the way FFG had established imperials to that point. TIE sf and aggressor also are not imperial in this sense. Striker was, and it's both very popular and rarer with higher level of tournament.

The gunboat is an ordnance carrier that does not really fit in. And I'm not talking about the actual imperials of the franchise, just the playstyle previously established by FFG.

Apparently they move away from that, with the exception of 'Soontir' Fenn.

So the faction had its playstyle changed over the course of a year - of course that rubs people the wrong way

56 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

The Imperial is a FACTION. Any respectable faction must have both fast ships, travel ships, combat ships, tank ships etc. Because is not an armada nor a task force: it's an entire faction, an Empire.

So no, Empire still alive and healthly. If you prefer the Starfighter theme, just play the Imperials Tie, Interceptor and Advaced. 

But an entire Faction must have all kinds of ships, or it is a joke.

Edited by Cerve

18 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

So the faction had its playstyle changed over the course of a year - of course that rubs people the wrong way

However, you can still play that way if you choose to do so.  There is literally nothing stopping players from flying purely Academy TIEs, Soontir Fel, the Inquistitor etc other than their own personal attitude.

The Empire is now - finally - receiving additions to it's playstyle.  For years Imperial players have been asking "Where are our turrets?" and "where is our SLAM?".  Well, now they've got them.  These new additions don't replace the Empire faction's playstyle - they complement it.

Edited by FTS Gecko

1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

The lack of imperial arc dodging aces is something which annoys me to know end. Now that we get other things which fit the imperial theme is still great. Imperial Alpha Strike and superior Firepower is just as much a theme with the imperials as is tech and numbers superiority. 

Now you naturally can't have this all at the same time in a list, but having options is great. I still miss my slippery imperial triple aces lists and would love to see that playstyle coming back. I still play them outside of tournaments, but the imperial faction as a whole isn't as fun as it used to be. Heck, I am gonna fly Corran Horn  next tournament just to get some gold old PTL ace action again … even when regen is disgusting. ;-)

The issue is not what they added, but how the overall game is balanced towards certain playstyles within the imperial faction. I wish evades would work against bombs and TIE/ADs get a native boost action ^_^

2 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

He makes a very good point though even if the delivery might be lacking - Imperials was the low hull high agility faction, the high variance faction.

my problem with this is "Why would anyone want low hull, high variance (the variable feast or famine that only ever dominated ala tie swarm and palp aces or was never seen again) as their defining playstyle?"

And why wouldn't they ever want some variety within the faction itself?

Because we all know the best way to keep something fresh and interesting is to just keep releasing **** that adheres to the same playstyle and never try to add anything different even though we already have the tools needed to fly in said same playstyle.

Truth be told, if the empire never grew beyond "low hull, high agility" I would never ever have bothered buying into it and it would never do well competitively because it would be so easy to counter (so long as those counters were available)

Besides, the gunboat is traditional in the sense that it is an arc-dodger (hullo, SLAM shenanigans).

Edited by ficklegreendice

1 minute ago, ficklegreendice said:

my problem with this is "Why would anyone want low hull, high variance (the variable feast or famine that only ever dominated ala tie swarm and palp aces or was never seen again) as their defining playstyle?"

And why wouldn't they ever want some variety within the faction itself?

Because we all know the best way to keep something fresh and interesting is to just keep releasing **** that adheres to the same playstyle and never try to add anything different even though we already have the tools needed to fly in said same playstyle.

Besides, the gunboat is traditional in the sense that it is an arc-dodger (hullo, SLAM shenanigans).

I don't know why FFG made that playstyle the defining factor of imperials for 8 waves, but they did. Then they changed it. That means formerly correct perception became wrong. Naturally those who liked it want it back.

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

However, you can still play that way if you choose to do so.  There is literally nothing stopping players from flying purely Academy TIEs, Soontir Fel, the Inquistitor etc other than their own personal attitude.

Come on, that's a bit disingenuous. These discussions are usually aimed at somewhat competitive play, where you can't really play them.

10 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

I agree with the vast majority of your post there fickle; however as you know I do myself enjoy the RNG factor of green dice.  I'd rather have a chance to avoid damage via rolling multiple green dice (a la an Academy Pilot) than simply have to take it on the chin and hope I can destroy my enemy before they destroy me (B-Wing).

RNG vs Attrition; there has to be a balance somewhere.

8 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Come on, that's a bit disingenuous. These discussions are usually aimed at somewhat competitive play, where you can't really play them.

...but you can.  @hothie has proved time and time again what you can do with a TIE swarm, and only yesterday we saw a very low health high agility ship (albeit with regeneration) take the North American Championship.  Palpatine was nerfed, but he's still usable.  x7's were nerfed, but they're still usable.  Soontir, Carnor, the Inquistor, all currently out of favour, but put in the practice and it's still possible to get great results with them.

The Empire's problem is it has a high skill floor and a high risk environment.  You can't simply pick up and play most Imperial lists in a way you can Scum or Rebels - you really need to put the time and effort in to understanding your own list (and knowing your opponents).  At the same time, you will be punished if you make mistakes.