Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Zetsubou

Kiku Matsuri Results

Recommended Posts

Should also add, the vision leading to all this specifically featured recognizable meishodo paraphenalia, and caused severe physical effects on other ishiken than the sensei and student, shugenja who just happened to be nearby. That kind of strong, negative reaction from the Void, of all things, should definitely be taken seriously. And then Lady Kaede sees the beast trying to BREAK OUT of the amulet and attack the imperial family. Clearly, whatever it is has a specific hatred for the imperials, and despite however long it has been imprisoned, is by no means broken or surrendered hope on escaping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lying Darkness is playing the Phoenix for chumps, getting them to stir up all kinds of internal strife to further its own ends.

I foresee Shahai having a tragic romance with the Emperor's second son. For her sake I hope it doesn't lead to her becoming evil again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

Should also add, the vision leading to all this specifically featured recognizable meishodo paraphenalia, and caused severe physical effects on other ishiken than the sensei and student, shugenja who just happened to be nearby. That kind of strong, negative reaction from the Void, of all things, should definitely be taken seriously.

Of course. We just point out how the interference of the Phoenix puts in motion a chain of events that lead to dark times in Rokugan.

But we all must wait to hindsight. There is more going on that meishodo yes or no. Only need to ask to that shadowlands army. Or that sect in Dragon lands. Or maybe there is something in Phoenix lands that no one suspects yet. 

Pray to Katrina-no-kami...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shineyorkboy said:

The Lying Darkness is playing the Phoenix for chumps, getting them to stir up all kinds of internal strife to further its own ends.

Speaking of things from the old canon that could do with a vigorous tearing-asunder...

The Lying Darkness was a lousy threat, poorly thought out in a post-"Fu Leng is dead and we need a new Big Bad" context.

 

Pretty sure that's not what's in play here- anti-Phoenix bias notwithstanding, it's not like anyone actually understands the Void- but if they do revisit Ye Olde Nothinge, I hope they give it a proper overhaul.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Speaking of things from the old canon that could do with a vigorous tearing-asunder...

The Lying Darkness was a lousy threat, poorly thought out in a post-"Fu Leng is dead and we need a new Big Bad" context.

 

Pretty sure that's not what's in play here- anti-Phoenix bias notwithstanding, it's not like anyone actually understands the Void- but if they do revisit Ye Olde Nothinge, I hope they give it a proper overhaul.

 

I always thought LD worked better as 'creep factor ' horror stuff better left for the rpg .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kuni Katsuyoshi said:

I always thought LD worked better as 'creep factor ' horror stuff better left for the rpg .

Or maybe a L5R co-op boardgame...Rokugan Horror, anyone? Your player characters could just be different roles from the clans.  Dragon Kitsuki investigator, for example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

Or maybe a L5R co-op boardgame...Rokugan Horror, anyone? Your player characters could just be different roles from the clans.  Dragon Kitsuki investigator, for example. 

Kitsuki Kaagi rides again? Yeah that could be pretty awesome. Faceless Ninja with a subtle hint of Lovecraft. What's cooler than that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kuni Katsuyoshi said:

I always thought LD worked better as 'creep factor ' horror stuff better left for the rpg .

If they took some lessons form Koh the Face Stealer, they could make the Lying Darkness genuinely creepy.

czoBaDf.gif

 

w7atTTr.jpg

Edited by Togashi Gao Shan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say keep the Nothing, but ditch the "Lying Darkness and/or Shadow Dragon" ideas it devolved into.
A source of magic that you can lose yourself in if you dive too deep, but isn't necessarily intelligent/malevolent? Like a dark mirror of the Void? Yes plz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bayushi Tsubaki said:

I say keep the Nothing, but ditch the "Lying Darkness and/or Shadow Dragon" ideas it devolved into.
A source of magic that you can lose yourself in if you dive too deep, but isn't necessarily intelligent/malevolent? Like a dark mirror of the Void? Yes plz.

Dude, if we're rebooting... just make it the deep end of the Void. No need to "mirror" anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

Or maybe a L5R co-op boardgame...Rokugan Horror, anyone? Your player characters could just be different roles from the clans.  Dragon Kitsuki investigator, for example. 

As I said long ago...

DojiHotaru.png.bce297f6b06c278a26e54f0bd

L5R is exceptionally good at fitting different kind of games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Or when Shahai and the man who might have been Daigotsu turn out to be a loving couple devoted to a pure empire, all the old grognards' heads will explode.

Dammit, don't give me ideas. 

Shahai and Daigoatee (hey, if he's alternate-universe Daigotsu he has a goatee*, that's how these things work) discovers a dark, hidden prophecy that say the Hantei emperor will become the vessel of Fu Leng. Devoted to a pure empire and determined to prevent this from happening, they turn to experimental Meishodo magic in an effort to bend or alter the prophecy (separate the Hantei true name from its destiny, perhaps?). This (of course) backfires horribly, and XXXVIII and Sotorii are both left very dead. Shahai, blamed for the Emperor's death, is of course executed. Daigoatee  becomes emperor, and quite bitter toward the people who murdered Shahai, he refuses to take a wife from the clans, and continue his study of the prophecy, the black scrolls, Fu Leng...but will the ever-increasing obsession of the Last Hantei with Fu Leng lead him to stop Fu Leng...or become Fu Leng?

*Unless one gets gender-flipped. 

Edited by Himoto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we know if there are Black Scrolls in this version? I'd assume so but at this point, maybe there aren't. Maybe Fu Leng got defeat in another way.

What I find curious is how it's said that Shahai will be hated in her clan, and in the Iuchi, for teaching their secrets to the Hidden Guard. Like: WTF? What happened with that duty of serving the Emperor? I'm not saying that the Unicorn, or Iuchi, have to like to share secrets*, but to hate Shahai for doing her duty**? Really? I wish I could get some hindsight about the situation because sounds rather forced. Stagging Shahai's emotional distancing from her family and clan. Being a short story and not a book, this kind of stuff is to be expected but raises my left eyebrow nonetheless. Missing so many pieces, for obvious reasons, doesn't help. :P

Oh, and I'll remind Phoenix this quote from their Clan: "The Phoenix Clan cast a wary eye on meishōdō, the talismanic name magic practiced by the Unicorn, and fear the imbalance that foreign sorcery has wrought among the spirits. Phoenix Clan Champion Shiba Ujimitsu must prepare to defend his clan’s borders while the prayers of the Phoenix’s mystical shugenja go awry. The Council of Elemental Masters cannot explain the disquiet affecting the elemental kami, and so they turn to forgotten or forbidden lore for answers." Pity that Tsukune won't stop the Masters from the last part. :(

* altough sharing their secrets with the Emperor/Imperial_Families should be ok? Unicorn went sightseeing to discover potential dangers and ways to defend from them? Maybe the Iuchi family is completely a kolat cabal?

** for which she has no choice

Edited by Wintersong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top 4 right now is very diverse: Scorpion vs Lion and Crane vs Dragon!!!

 

Edit: Lion player forfeited, Scorpion is in the Finals.

 

Edit 2: Crane does it!!! Scorpion vs Crane FINALS!!!

Edited by blackheartz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2017 at 1:45 PM, blackheartz said:

Top 4 right now is very diverse: Scorpion vs Lion and Crane vs Dragon!!!

 

Edit: Lion player forfeited, Scorpion is in the Finals.

 

Edit 2: Crane does it!!! Scorpion vs Crane FINALS!!!

Looks like the Unicorn get to keep their weirdo gaijin magic. All I want to know is: What did the Scorpion bribe the Lion with to get them to forfeit the tournament?

Edit: Apparently, the Lion intentionally forfeited to avoid losing through dishonor. Wowzers.

Edited by blackwingedheaven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bayushi Tsubaki said:

If you're on board for the Soshi having a strong Void tradition in addition to an Air tradition, I'm on board. :lol:

I'm pretty anti-monopoly when it comes to Clan schticks because the only purpose they seem to serve is in giving other clans something to punk you with...

 

So the Scorpion having secret black ops ishiken is easy for me to accept- especially if it lets us avoid having to shoehorn the Lying Darkness into the story.

Edited by Shiba Gunichi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, blackwingedheaven said:

Looks like the Unicorn get to keep their weirdo gaijin magic. All I want to know is: What did the Scorpion bribe the Lion with to get them to forfeit the tournament?

Edit: Apparently, the Lion intentionally forfeited to avoid losing through dishonor. Wowzers.

That sounds like the sort of IC goings-on that happens in L5R all the time.  Like the Dragon clan only playing at the tables furthest away from the front, or the Crane settling inter-clan matches on a single duel etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...