Sign in to follow this  
Zetsubou

Kiku Matsuri Results

2 hours ago, Bayushi Tsubaki said:

Can I just say I'm shocked that the one clan that really felt unfocused (Dragon) did, by far, the best?? :o

The number of good attachments the Dragon have in just 1x core set swung a lot of games.  As did Tattooed Wanderer when used as an attachment to grant "covert", making the attached character essentially unblockable... Which is HUGE in a sealed format like this.  Then throw in a couple of copies of Assassination, and yeah, Dragon were tough to stop.

The thing that makes me sad is that there were ZERO Unicorn Hatamoto.  A sign that once again the Unicorn are out of balance in cost-effect-power ratio again... as it has always been in L5R....  I certainly hope not, I hope things are better for the Unicorn when 3x core boxes are available....

3 minutes ago, Mirumoto Saito said:

Wow. The Unicorns are taking this worse than that time somebody *cogh cogh* pointed their champion didn't knew what "curved" and "straight" means!

:ph34r:

Maybe if any of them were actually able to vote they wouldn't take it so hard.

They could always vote on 'curved' or 'straight' instead ??

Edited by Kuni Katsuyoshi

10 minutes ago, Mirumoto Saito said:

Wow. The Unicorns are taking this worse than that time somebody *cogh cogh* pointed their champion didn't knew what "curved" and "straight" means!

:ph34r:

You mean, they were thrown a curve when they were expecting something straightforward?

6 minutes ago, Kuni Katsuyoshi said:

Maybe if any of them were actually able to vote they wouldn't take it so hard.

They could always vote on 'curved' or 'straight' instead ??

I always curve the ballot paper.:lol:

I'd sign right now no Hatamotos ever but get tons of Battle Maidens for my deck. :wub::ph34r: But Shinjo/Iuchi/Moto/Ide fans would not agree with me. :P

16 minutes ago, CrowOfPyke said:

The number of good attachments the Dragon have in just 1x core set swung a lot of games.  As did Tattooed Wanderer when used as an attachment to grant "covert", making the attached character essentially unblockable... Which is HUGE in a sealed format like this.  Then throw in a couple of copies of Assassination, and yeah, Dragon were tough to stop.

The thing that makes me sad is that there were ZERO Unicorn Hatamoto.  A sign that once again the Unicorn are out of balance in cost-effect-power ratio again... as it has always been in L5R....  I certainly hope not, I hope things are better for the Unicorn when 3x core boxes are available....

I'm not too worried yet. Granted, I've played zero games with unicorn (weren't up on Tabletop Simulator in time for me to use) but it is a small sample size, ultimately, with a skewed card pool. With any luck I can try out a few of the lists I've been brewing this weekend so I can get an idea of how well ponies will do from personal experience (also I just want to play more...)

19 minutes ago, Wintersong said:

I always curve the ballot paper.:lol:

I'd sign right now no Hatamotos ever but get tons of Battle Maidens for my deck. :wub::ph34r: But Shinjo/Iuchi/Moto/Ide fans would not agree with me. :P

I'll accept the second best family into my deck.

32 minutes ago, CrowOfPyke said:

Well most of the Dragon's strength comes from the conflict deck and any clan could have splashed those cards.

I think there were likely a couple things at work here.

The decklist suggestions may not be entirely optimal or balanced.

The number of new l5r players, that happen to be good players did not have any defined clan allegiances going in and may have been swayed by Steve's loyalty to the Dragon, aka the Horvath Effect.

Old l5r players tthat were clan loyal but not familiar with the new mechanics may not have been prepared for how their clan would play and did not adjust their deck to be optimal.

I would be interested to know how many players of each clan their were and what the breakdown of the clan splashed were across the entire field.  This should be pretty easy to compile from the decklists the players were required to turn in and I hope FFG provides is with this information........soonish.

The Dragon do not strike me as being stronger than the other clans in a single core box environment.  Not to say they are bad, but, I found other pairing much more favorable.  Dragon has been one of my top choices for conflict splashing, but, I've got them pretty middle of the road when it comes to picking a main clan for a single core event.

5 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I would be interested to know how many players of each clan their were and what the breakdown of the clan splashed were across the entire field.  This should be pretty easy to compile from the decklists the players were required to turn in and I hope FFG provides is with this information........soonish.

I think this would be the most interesting statistic. It could simply come down to an overwhelming amount of Dragon players were there. It's a pretty straight forward build with just put out characters, attach things to characters, hit people.

I think the Unicorn in the story are looking at it the wrong way. What better way to curry favor than have the court dependent on your daughter? Sure she's a "hostage", but she's also important, needed, will be owed the respect a student owes their teacher for every member of guard she teaches, gets to greatly influence Imperial policy towards their magical tradition, and of course can make friends in the court.

1 minute ago, Waywardpaladin said:

I think the Unicorn in the story are looking at it the wrong way. What better way to curry favor than have the court dependent on your daughter? Sure she's a "hostage", but she's also important, needed, will be owed the respect a student owes their teacher for every member of guard she teaches, gets to greatly influence Imperial policy towards their magical tradition, and of course can make friends in the court.

Maybe a Crane can explain that to them. It would benefit them to have a friend strengthen their position.

I for one am thankful that the Unicorn weren't hamstrung out the gate with this story decision. Thanks to all who voted for inter-religious dialogue and openness over suppression of foreign practices due to fear. 

As someone very new to L5R, it does concern me that the clan I chose did atrocious at the first tourney... and that none of the L5R creators were wearing a shirt in support of the Unicorn clan.

This does not bode well, and I do not want to support an initial underdog faction like I did with SW Destiny. 

1 minute ago, Virtigo said:

I for one am thankful that the Unicorn weren't hamstrung out the gate with this story decision. Thanks to all who voted for inter-religious dialogue and openness over suppression of foreign practices due to fear. 

As someone very new to L5R, it does concern me that the clan I chose did atrocious at the first tourney... and that none of the L5R creators were wearing a shirt in support of the Unicorn clan.

This does not bode well, and I do not want to support an initial underdog faction like I did with SW Destiny. 

We're normally the forgotten faction. So...At least this time around we were remembered in the fiction.

2 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

We're normally the forgotten faction. So...At least this time around we were remembered in the fiction.

Y'all still being so down and out! Ponies gotta stick together and keep our heads high. As soon as Tabletop Sim updates with ponies I'm all up for doing a little groupthink to up our clan's game.