Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zetsubou

Kiku Matsuri Results

177 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2017 at 0:45 PM, CrowOfPyke said:

The thing that makes me sad is that there were ZERO Unicorn Hatamoto.  A sign that once again the Unicorn are out of balance in cost-effect-power ratio again... as it has always been in L5R....  I certainly hope not, I hope things are better for the Unicorn when 3x core boxes are available....

The problem with Unicorn in 1x core is that they have multiple effects that can only be used with Cavalry characters, notably their stronghold, Cavalry Reserves and a few cards that reacted when someone moved into a conflict. They also had a couple cards that interact specifically with Unicorn characters, such as Utaku Infantry and I am Ready.

In 1 core, your dynasty deck is 50% neutral cards, so all these effects could have been (and often were) blank for turns at a time.

I have a friend who played a few games with them in 3 core and came away very impressed with their power level. I'd give them time. They seem extremely potent when you have mostly Unicorn characters.

On 18/08/2017 at 1:54 PM, Kitsuki Edogawa said:

You mean, they were thrown a curve when they were expecting something straightforward?

Huahuahaha, excellent. That's why I shouldn't use the forums while at work! :lol:

On 18/08/2017 at 2:42 PM, Gamedog said:

Light sabers ain't curved, either. 

Which, ironically, makes it not a saber. :rolleyes:

On 19/08/2017 at 0:33 AM, Zesu Shadaban said:

Or maybe a L5R co-op boardgame...Rokugan Horror, anyone? Your player characters could just be different roles from the clans.  Dragon Kitsuki investigator, for example. 

On 19/08/2017 at 1:00 AM, Kuni Katsuyoshi said:

Kitsuki Kaagi rides again? Yeah that could be pretty awesome. Faceless Ninja with a subtle hint of Lovecraft. What's cooler than that?

Yeah! I used the Nothing plenty of times to great effect in my games, I love the creepy effect they bring! A boardgame similar to Eldritch Horror could be really cool, as Zesu Shadaban said. The characters could be from a lot of clans and backgrounds, just like in the original Eldritch Horror, traveling the Empire to quash Bloodspeaker cults, Nothing infections and Shadowlands attacks... FFG, I need this game!

On 19/08/2017 at 1:52 PM, Wintersong said:

What I find curious is how it's said that Shahai will be hated in her clan, and in the Iuchi, for teaching their secrets to the Hidden Guard. Like: WTF? What happened with that duty of serving the Emperor? I'm not saying that the Unicorn, or Iuchi, have to like to share secrets*, but to hate Shahai for doing her duty**? Really? I wish I could get some hindsight about the situation because sounds rather forced. Stagging Shahai's emotional distancing from her family and clan. Being a short story and not a book, this kind of stuff is to be expected but raises my left eyebrow nonetheless. Missing so many pieces, for obvious reasons, doesn't help. :P

* altough sharing their secrets with the Emperor/Imperial_Families should be ok? Unicorn went sightseeing to discover potential dangers and ways to defend from them? Maybe the Iuchi family is completely a kolat cabal?

** for which she has no choice

Yeah, that made me seriously frown as well...