poke450

Star Wars Legion?

To help inform:

@Snipafist is a well-known name on the Armada side of things, especially with his "Can't get your Ship out" blog, alongside the @Geek19

Faking or Joking this would be a massive hit to his credibility.  So massive, he wouldn't dare have said anything if he was not 100% convinced.  It would undermine all of his work that he's done for the community.

On that basis alone, I believe it.

Well, since FFG has a fantasy miniature game out there, it wouldn't surprise me if they would do a Star Wars themed sci-fi game as well. My question is what scale will they use. Will it be 15mm like Flames of War or will it be 28mm like Bolt Action or Warhammer 40k? I guess we'll find out Friday at FFG's panel at GenCon.

9 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

I'd love a ground game able to do the Battle of Hoth, or Endor, or Takodana.

On the other hand, if it is as expensive as Runewars appears to be headed ... I'm probably out.

$83us for the core set is what I saw on SpikyBitz.com.

Yeah, it's not the core set price so much ... it's the expansion set cost & number needed to fill out a full game army, since none of FFGs games ever seem to have a full game in the core set.

Armada had a pricey core set, but the relatively small number of expansions and fleet size has meant it isn't too pricey to have a decent fleet. Plus it is excellently pre-painted, ready to play when opened.

Unassembled & unpainted is a bit of a hurdle too, particularly at higher cost. I do paint ... but slowly. All of the above has kept me out of things like 40k, WHFB, Flames of War, Team Yankee, etc.

Edited by Hawkstrike

3 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

To help inform:

@Snipafist is a well-known name on the Armada side of things, especially with his "Can't get your Ship out" blog, alongside the @Geek19

Faking or Joking this would be a massive hit to his credibility.  So massive, he wouldn't dare have said anything if he was not 100% convinced.  It would undermine all of his work that he's done for the community.

On that basis alone, I believe it.

Thanks for your faith in me.

I'm not trying to pull one over on people. I've seen the Alliance email in our inbox at the FLGS I work at after our owner tipped me off to it. It's conceivable that there's some kind of a misunderstanding or that Alliance passed on incorrect information, but that forum post that was linked to is literally everything I know about it. I was excited about it and figured others would be too. It was too big a thing to just sit on, anyways.

Honestly, I'm surprised that nobody else who works for/at/owns an FLGS hasn't come in with their own corroboration yet. As I mentioned in this post responding in the original topic, it was in an Alliance email titled "Alliance Midwest Daily Receiving 8/16/17". Distributor emails like that are basically glorified spam (telling you what you can buy or put in pre-orders for) so they're frequently disregarded by the vast majority of their recipients, but for some reason our owner read the email and noticed the blurb about Star Wars: Legion, which he passed along. All it would take is someone who has access to a game store's email account to look for that email to verify that the information about Legion is in it.

I am just wondering how many different factions they would have available.  Would be neat if it was more than just rebel and imperial.  Maybe Mandalorian? Sith? 

Edited by poke450

3 hours ago, patox said:

Would be sweet if it were in the same scale as Imperial Assault.

But it sounds like it'll be 15mm.

• To be a proper 'battle' (capable of doing hoth) you really need the potential to be fielding dozens of dudes plus AT-ATs. 
  • If you want to field AT-ATs to any sensible sort of scale, and want to be able to play on the 3'x3' board that FFG seems to like, it's going to need to be more like 'epic' scale 40k. 
  • This goes double with the fact that you really, really can't do star wars battles without air support and/or speeders, which need to be able to move really bloody fast compared to the size of the model not to feel stupid.

If this is true, I am a little sad. Because we will never see Ground units in X Wing or Air to Ground interaction. More focus on 100/6.

X Wing big fleet plus IA plus Armada. Need a bigger wallet. Lets wait and see. 

If more similar to "Epic" than to "W40K" probably one KABOOOOM to my plans to start colecting Flames of War...

Now that the reveal of SW:L has come, let's talk specifics...

1: Game appears to be a traditional tabletop miniatures game like Bolt Action or Warhammer 40k.

2: Miniatures come unassembled and unpainted in 28mm scale.

3: Units use upgrade cards like X-Wing/Armada.

4: Two factions, Empire and Rebels in core set.

5: My guess for additional factions in future releases: Wookees, GAR, Droids and Mandalorians. Probably missing a few other factions that could be included.

58 minutes ago, T70 Driver said:

Now that the reveal of SW:L has come, let's talk specifics...

1: Game appears to be a traditional tabletop miniatures game like Bolt Action or Warhammer 40k.

2: Miniatures come unassembled and unpainted in 28mm scale.

3: Units use upgrade cards like X-Wing/Armada.

4: Two factions, Empire and Rebels in core set.

5: My guess for additional factions in future releases: Wookees, GAR, Droids and Mandalorians. Probably missing a few other factions that could be included.

Wookiee would be awesome!

7 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

I was hoping for something on a different scale, more like this:

I don't expect each model to be in precise scale to each other model, just relative -- but I want to put a range of units, full air-ground, on the table.

I would buy that in a heartbeat. Scale them roughly to X-wing for maximum happiness