haslo

meta-wing: News and Updates

17 posts in this topic

As some of you may or may not have noticed, meta-wing just was down for a couple of hours of planned maintenance. That was because I deployed a new version that required a rebuild of the entire database in order to accommodate for a couple of new features.

Also, I figured I'd make a thread where I can post when there's updates. This here is that thread.

If you don't know what meta-wing is, have a look at this wonderful blog post by Stay on the Leader. He's doing a much better job at explaining what it is and what it isn't than I could.

So here's the new features of the version gone live today (which I call 1.1 for no discernible reason):

• Added Archetype name suggestions (finally!)
  • Added squad visualizer (exports squads as images)
  • Added changelog section
  • Synced IDs with xwing-data
  • Fixed multi-faction ships and pilots (notably, Nym was completely broken, but also TIE Fighters and HWK-290s are split by faction now)
  • Improvements in post-cut percentile calculations
  • Breaking change to all previous links because of a necessary database rebuild (which resulted in more new IDs and broken links, sorry...)

Because this is the first post in this thread, here's also what was in version 1.0 and remains the core functionality:

• Pilot Rankings
  • Ship Rankings
  • Upgrade Rankings
  • Ship Combo Rankings (Archetypes)

Also, this has been added over the last couple of months:

• Fixed responsive views for mobile access
  • Added overlay while importing
  • Added matchup lists
  • Locked down Archetype Names after spam attacks
  • Added and removed win/loss ratios (they're in review, weren't working correctly)
  • Improvements in "Notable Squadrons" list
  • Exports to CSV and JSON for third parties

If you want to report a bug, I'd be happy to hear about it! The best channel is the GitHub issue tracker (where you can also kind of see my next couple of plans if you're interested), but you can also tell me about bugs on here via PM, or on Slack. The project is open source and if you want to contribute, you're very welcome, too.

1 hour ago, haslo said:

So here's the new features of the version gone live today (which I call 1.1 for no discernible reason):

• Added Archetype name suggestions (finally!)

Great, now we can give Biggs/Lowhrick/Jess/Rex the name it deserves- Stage 4.

6 hours ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Great, now we can give Biggs/Lowhrick/Jess/Rex the name it deserves- Stage 4.

Go ahead and suggest that. Either the feature is broken or nobody bothered yet :P; the moderation queue remained empty.

Archetypes also have alternate names now, so feel free to recommend a name for an already-named archetype, too.

Toimu likes this

Posted (edited)

Awesome! By the way, I'm so happy that you included the export!

I just noticed that Denym is mysteriously absent.

It can be found as SC winner in Jumpaster details, but not for archetypes. Maybe something during the faction split went wrong?

Edit: nevermind, it's on 2. position. I don't know if it had not imported them before or if I was simply blind

2. edit: so the import just finished for me, and ships ranking too. Maybe I wasn't blind after all

Edited by GreenDragoon
haslo likes this

47 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

2. edit: so the import just finished for me, and ships ranking too. Maybe I wasn't blind after all

Yeah, everything is wonky during the import, sorry. It's on my ToDo list to handle that...

Just now, haslo said:

Yeah, everything is wonky during the import, sorry. It's on my ToDo list to handle that...

No worries, I could also have waited 2 minutes instead

By the way, I just tried the squad visualizer. That's great! How is the order of the ships determined? Looks like it's not following the xws from top to bottom, but rather bottom to top.
My only suggestion would be a "discard" or "new" button/link. Even though simply clicking on "Squad Visualization" in the menu bar does the same, so it's not necessary.

haslo likes this

Just now, GreenDragoon said:

How is the order of the ships determined?

Random, more or less :P I'll look into it!

That's interesting, I tested 5 different squads and they all had the same inverse order.

Then I tried this one with 6 ships, and changed one EPT because I thought maybe the same builds are somehow grouped, but that seems not to be the case.

haslo likes this

By "random" I mean that I haven't defined the order - and thus between the JSON parsing and model creation and then image generation, there's probably always a similar order, but it's not explicitly set by me and thus may change whenever any of the included components do something differently for any reason. It's possible that it's always bottom to top now, but it's not guaranteed that it'll always be the same in the future :lol:

GreenDragoon likes this

10 minutes ago, wurms said:

Really nice!

@haslo How long are the images hosted for after clicking the download button that creates a PNG? 

They're not hosted at all, but generated every time somebody looks at them.

I absolutely have to do something about their size though, if they're to be embedded anywhere :o

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, haslo said:

They're not hosted at all, but generated every time somebody looks at them.

I absolutely have to do something about their size though, if they're to be embedded anywhere :o

:lol: I was thinking they get hosted for 24 hours (or whatever) then get wiped

Edited by wurms
haslo likes this

2 minutes ago, wurms said:

:lol: I was thinking they get hosted for 24 hours (or whatever) then get wiped

The ID is a database ID for the squadron, which holds all the necessary data in order to create the image and takes nearly no space at all. Generating the image doesn't take that long either. But because I'm lazy I'm currently sending it uncompressed, which takes about 2MB of traffic, which will not work with thousands of views with my hosting :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

Now that the multi-faction ships have been separated you can really see how bad the imperial firespray is!  And since scum firespray is better but still in the bottom half of the ships, all the more reason to get that firespray fix we need!  Plus it's a wave 2 ship so it's far overdue!

Edited by markcsoul
haslo likes this