Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jamie nasmyth

Final Gencon standings

95 posts in this topic

Thanks for posting Jamie. After losing to you all in Atlanta two weeks ago, I retooled the list which is currently what Matt is flying in first place.

Sad I couldn't be there myself to fly it, but I am happy that a good friend is showing what it is capable of.

Megatronrex likes this

4 minutes ago, Ronin K said:

Thanks for posting Jamie. After losing to you all in Atlanta two weeks ago, I retooled the list which is currently what Matt is flying in first place.

Sad I couldn't be there myself to fly it, but I am happy that a good friend is showing what it is capable of.

What is Matt's list?

41 not a bad turnout. Sure wish I could have been there. Course the next question is what were the top players running? :-)

ISD-2

Sloane

Boarding Troopers

ECM

Leading Shots

Quad Battery Turrets

Avenger

Quasar-I

Flight Commander

Flight Controllers

Expanded Hanger

Boosted Comms

Pursuant

Gozanti-I

Comms Net

Strom

Steele

Jendon

Howlrunner

Fel

Mauler

Dengar

I forgot that Wulff is also on Avenger. 

The fact that he allows the ISD-2 to regenerate 3 shields a round is so brutal.

2 minutes ago, xanderf said:

The first place listing has only three activations??

How can be??

Easy.  Activation quality is just as important of a concept as Activation advantage.  Squadrons are a big part of playing a lower activation list because they give you the option to hit your opponent in a lot of different places, provided you can play the squad game very well.  The principles that animate the Imperial squadron force there are the same that go back to wave-2.  Sloan amplifies that by largely giving them the chance to ignore the opponent's squads if they so desire and hit purely ships.  That's the real benefit of Sloan if you build her right: early ship damage, which can be followed-up from your own ships.  The Flight Controllers make it so you can select fairly well which squads focus enemy squads down and which ones go after ships.  So its a fairly typical win the squadron game hard-core while putting the right kind damage on ships.

The beauty of low activations as well is that to go after the really big target, you're going to have to fly into its arc range and into the squads.  The wide arc of the ISD gives you a pretty big threat range that is doubled up over a particular area of the board.  So you're effectively concentrating fire (the concept, not the command), which is what you need to finish off enemy ships.

With the list above, the bid and objectives aren't clear, so it might even pick up more benefit by a strong big for selectively picking first or second, and strong objectives that weaken any strategic fleets out there.

Now, I said this when Sloan released, and its quickly proving true, but the real starting point for a good Sloan list is Norms GenCon winning list last year, which was...aha, you guessed it:  Two activation+Ace Squads.

So three activation and ace squads is a small evolution of that list type.

In fairness, Norm's list last year was 2 ships in a meta that only rarely went above 4 ships and crucially, didn't include Flotillas.  The implications of those changes have been significant.

5 minutes ago, thecactusman17 said:

In fairness, Norm's list last year was 2 ships in a meta that only rarely went above 4 ships and crucially, didn't include Flotillas.  The implications of those changes have been significant.

The much-feared DeMSU was 5 ships, and that not quite as plentiful rebel MSUs were typically 5 ships as well.   I'd say that 3 and 4 activations were most typical then, with 2 surprising nearly everyone at GenCon, and 5 always being possible.  6 and 7 were extremely well and outliers.

Yes, flotillas are a huge game-changer, but I think on the whole, they moved the activation count slightly.  So that's why the 2 ship list became 3, and the 3 and 4 ship lists became 4 and 5, and the 5 ship lists became 6 and even 7. 

When flotillas dropped, I won a tournament with a 3 activation list, beating Justin Curtis (5th above, and twice top 4 Worlds) to do it, which is to say that I didn't just waltz into a cheap tournament.  So the low activation well-played squadron game was still entirely possible then.  I didn't see anyone really working lists according to those principles at Worlds when I went, so they may have been possible in wave-5, but the mutiple local metas just couldn't work it out.  Sloan and the Quasar, however, definitely opened up people to looking at those things.

SkyCake and Chemosh667 like this

Last year, we self-solicited everyone after the fact to post their lists, and did a decent job of it.  I know Justin Curtis (5), and Justin Jackson (13), but I'd rather let them post themselves if they'd like.

15 minutes ago, Vergilius said:

Last year, we self-solicited everyone after the fact to post their lists, and did a decent job of it.  I know Justin Curtis (5), and Justin Jackson (13), but I'd rather let them post themselves if they'd like.

I'm only mentioning Nicholas' list because he publicly posted it here on the FFG forums earlier this afternoon (not in a text format, he posted the photo with every ship, squad and upgrade on display).

Fun fact:  Apparently, Nick Griffiths had a relatively close loss in round 4 and left the event early.  He didn't know he was in 4th place until I asked his facebook group if anyone had top 8 lists!

Well nothing as big as that but I took a vic2/interdoctor/quaser list and won a tiny store championship with it in Australia..

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Vergilius said:

With the list above, the bid and objectives aren't clear, so it might even pick up more benefit by a strong big for selectively picking first or second, and strong objectives that weaken any strategic fleets out there.

It's built to 399pts. Objectives are Advanced Gunnery, Contested Outpost, and Superior Positions.

Edited by Megatronrex

I occasionally play with #8 David.

I don't know the specifics, but it's a ISD/Quasar/Goz list with a bunch of fighters.

Matt's & my list is a total of 400 points. The objectives are as Megatronrex noted above:

Advanced Gunnery

Contested Outpost

Superior Positions

I am not going to give all the strategies of the list away because Matt is still playing later today. I will say though that two days before Gencon I sat down with him and pretty much told him how every round was going play out (obviously dice will still be random). I did this by asking him two simple questions:

1.) Who is going first?

2.) Does your opponent have around a 100+ points worth of fighters?

He called me last night and said that it has played out the way I thought it would.