Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlodVargarna

Obi Wan film CONFIRMED*

53 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Early Development != Confirmed

" Sources tell Variety that Disney is in early development on a film centered on Jedi master Obi-Wan Kenobi and is in talks with “Billy Elliot’s” Stephen Daldry to direct. "

" There is not yet a script or a writer, sources say, and it’s currently unknown if this will be the next standalone story in the “Star Wars” universe. "

" Some of the other standalones in development include a Jabba the Hutt story and a Boba Fett movie. "

Edited by Slugrage

We saw him watch over Luke and kill Maul in Rebels. Saw his early fighting years in the Clone Wars. Saw his demise in New Hope. 

That leave his teen years training or his force ghost years spooking across the stars. ...or those previously mentioned binoculars.

Maybe they can do it like those meerkat documentaries. Have a 3rd party filming and narrating what he does all day... every day... in the sand... alone.

10 minutes ago, Slugrage said:

That'd still be better than Phantom Menace.

No better way to prove you're a Star Wars fan than to piss on other people's fun. Great job.

RebelRogue likes this

20 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

I really hope it's not about him looking at Luke's house with binocs for two hours.

Would be a bit creepy. Maybe like a remake of Rear Window?

Or maybe He has a thing for aunt beru and is trying to get some blue milk?

I imagine it will be like Arrow...

"Luke I watched over you for 19 years on Tatooine.* 

*Except for that 18.5 years I was hopping around the galaxy from planet to planet having adventures that no one ever mentions.  Let me tell you about it in flashback..."

madquest8 likes this

41 minutes ago, Slugrage said:

Early Development != Confirmed

" Some of the other standalones in development include a Jabba the Hutt story and a Boba Fett movie. "

I'd "confirm" that a Boba Fett movie is probably a helluva lot more likely than an Obi Wan one.  Just based on fandom...

Andreu likes this

44 minutes ago, Slugrage said:

This part makes me skeptical.  There were SUPER early rumors on these, but:

A) It turns out the Jabba thing was not related to a new movie, but inclusion of the character elsewhere.  We don't know where, yet, but smart money is on an appearance in the Han Solo movie.

B) One of those (IIRC Bob Iger?) interviews dismissed the Boba Fett movie as a character that wouldn't support a movie on his own.  It had gotten somewhat along in early development before being scrapped.  And, again, could mean he appears elsewhere, though.

Posted (edited)

Obi wan eluding Inquisitors, tangling with the scum and villainy of Mos Eisely, flash backs to post order 66, fighting sand people, Yojimbo-like badassery helping moisture farmers... could be pretty sweet.

Edited by BlodVargarna
JJFDVORAK and SabineKey like this

7 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

Obi wan eluding Inquisitors, tangling with the scum and villainy of Mos Eisely, flash backs to post order 66, fighting sand people, Yojimbo-like badassery helping moisture farmers... could be pretty sweet.

Another problem with a movie set in this period is dialog from Episode IV.

"Kenobi: [thoughtfully] Obi-Wan Kenobi. Obi-Wan... Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.
Luke Skywalker: I think my uncle knows him. He said he was dead.
Kenobi: Oh, he's not dead. Not yet.
Luke Skywalker: You know him?
Kenobi: But of course I know him. He's me.
Kenobi: I haven't gone by the name of Obi-Wan since... oh, before you were born."

They did carefully adhere to that in Episode III and his appearance in the 'Rebels' TV series - after Luke is born, nobody calls him Obi-Wan anymore.  Which is fine and good for the brief appearances he'd had in those spots, but for a whole movie?  Ehhhhh....

1 minute ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

This is my 4-year old's favorite quote for about 6 months. He says it every time he enters a new room.

it's the single best line and delivery in the entire prequel trilogy

everything palp says in EP III comes close, though

TasteTheRainbow likes this

5 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Another problem with a movie set in this period is dialog from Episode IV.

"Kenobi: [thoughtfully] Obi-Wan Kenobi. Obi-Wan... Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.
Luke Skywalker: I think my uncle knows him. He said he was dead.
Kenobi: Oh, he's not dead. Not yet.
Luke Skywalker: You know him?
Kenobi: But of course I know him. He's me.
Kenobi: I haven't gone by the name of Obi-Wan since... oh, before you were born."

They did carefully adhere to that in Episode III and his appearance in the 'Rebels' TV series - after Luke is born, nobody calls him Obi-Wan anymore.  Which is fine and good for the brief appearances he'd had in those spots, but for a whole movie?  Ehhhhh....

Not if the people he is dealing with only know him as Ben Kenobi. 

1 minute ago, SabineKey said:

Not if the people he is dealing with only know him as Ben Kenobi. 

Ergo why it would be difficult to pull off for a whole movie - that would limit him to basically just dealing with the small-time locals around Owen and Beru's farm.

Certainly no Imperial Inquisitors hunting him down would know him only as 'Ben'.  Nor anyone else in the galaxy at large that he'd interacted with during the Clone Wars.  I mean, heck - even on Tatooine - Jabba the Hutt met him during the Clone Wars and would know him as Obi-Wan.