Sign in to follow this  
EdgeOfDreams

Developing a quick summary of each clan

I'm trying to write a quick overview of each clan's them and mechanics for my own understanding and reference and to show to other new players. I want to only have a few words or ideas for each entry. Here's what I've got so far, any additions/changes are welcome:

Theme:

• Crab:  defenders of the wall, he who fights monsters, duty is more important than honor
  • Crane: elegant and beautiful courtiers, duelists, use honor as a weapon to manipulate others
  • Dragon: reculsive and eccentric, individualistic, seekers of enlightenment and prophecy
  • Lion: biggest army in the realm, ancestor worship, honorable combat, 
  • Phoenix: keepers of ancient knowledge and magic, pacifist unless provoked
  • Scorpion: assassins, spies, liars, and manipulators, accept dishonor for the good of the empire
  • Unicorn: clan who left the realm, changed, and returned as outsiders, best cavalry in the realm

Mechanics:

• Crab:  military power, win defensive conflicts, exhaust the attacker's resources and counter-attack
  • Crane: political power, high honor, duels
  • Dragon: balanced politics and military, lots of attachments, buffing a single character to battle alone
  • Lion: military power, high honor, swarm tactics
  • Phoenix: spells and combos, deny conflict participation or results, high honor
  • Scorpion: denial, control, debuffs, dishonor the enemy and themselves, can benefit from dishonor
  • Unicorn: military power, mobility, aggressive, can change plans after the enemy has committed resources

What do you think? What am I wrong about? What am I missing?

Just now, Tonbo Karasu said:

Overwhelming display of power, like wiping out the Snake, or standing between two armies, or repelling a Lion army with a handful of Shugenja.

If I remember correctly, Phoenix intercession usually didn't work out so well. Not counting having the Fire Dragon do the actual work.

34 minutes ago, Kuni Katsuyoshi said:

If I remember correctly, Phoenix intercession usually didn't work out so well. Not counting having the Fire Dragon do the actual work.

You do not remember correctly.

Especially the Fire Dragon bit.

The Fire Dragon's presence was only revealed after the Phoenix had rolled in and separated the combatants with a minimal loss of life. While calling the rain to douse the fires raging in the city.

EDIT ^ This is incorrect.

From The Truest Test Part III-

To the northeast, rushing toward the city with such speed that he could not believe it even as he looked upon it, there was a vast army of Phoenix. The army was encircled by the wind, much like the whirlwind storm that Natsu had witnessed as a child. Great plumes of earth rose and fell, hastening the army as if they strode upon the sandals of a Fortune. He could see coursing waves like a tsunami, carrying the Phoenix adrift among them and leaving behind no sign of moisture. Natsu had seen battle during the war with the Dragon, and years before in the limited conflict with the Phoenix, but he had never witnessed any display of elemental fury on the battlefield that could rival this.

Two Phoenix stood at the city’s edge, apparently moving well in advance of their clan’s army. One wore a strange mixture of Dragon and Phoenix symbols, and the other had long, flowing black hair that billowed in the suddenly strong breeze. “Stand down,” the older of the two commanded. “Put aside your weapons. This conflict is at an end.”

“You hold no authority over the Akodo legions!” Natsu shouted. “By what right do you command us so?”

“I command you in the name of all men and women who claim to serve their Empire with honor,” the older man continued. “You presume to spill blood in the Emperor’s streets with such reckless abandon, and yet ask us for justification?”

“We defend the city from the Khan’s men!” Natsu shouted.

“You wage war for war’s sake,” the Phoenix returned. “Nothing more.”

“Take him!”

The Phoenix lifted one hand, and tiny arcs of lighting danced among the Akodo, striking their blades. Against their will, the men shouted in pain and dropped them. “Do not force me to destroy your weapons,” the Phoenix said. “I have no wish to dishonor your families in such a way, but I will if you insist on continuing this shameful and pointless battle.”

“You have thrown in your lot with the Khan!” Natsu sneered. “You have arrived to ensure that he takes this city!”

“No,” the younger man replied. “We have arrived to ensure that this city remains intact, and that the people who dwell within it are free from the constant threat of violence. We owe no allegiance to the Khan, and neither will we permit this disgraceful bloodshed to stain the memory of Toturi III.”

Natsu shook his head. “You have no chance of standing against the Lion when we are bent on obeying our duty.”

“Look to the palace,” the older man ordered. “I think you may reconsider.”

Above the Imperial Palace, another figure appeared, much as Sezaru had appeared only a few hours previously. Where Sezaru’s appearance had brought chaos and death, however, this new arrival instead radiated a warm, peaceful light that drove away the smoke and clamor of war. She hung unmoving above the palace, hands folded in her sleeves, her eyes close. “Samurai of Rokugan,” she said, her voice booming like thunder, “the Phoenix Clan will not permit the Imperial City to be desecrated in this manner. Otosan Uchi was lost to us because the hearts of men could not contain their violence and vengeance, but that shall not happen again. Toshi Ranbo shall survive this day, no matter the cost. Put aside your weapons. This battle serves no purpose save to shame us all, and further loss of life will not be tolerated.” She paused for a moment and unfolded her hands, releasing a small, dark orb that floated before her. “The Phoenix have strayed from the path in the past, but we have found our way, and we must not stand aside and allow this desecration to occur. By the will of the Celestial Heavens, and the favor bestowed upon the Phoenix by Tengoku through the power of the Egg of the Void, this city is now under the protection of the Phoenix Clan and the Council of Elemental Masters.” She raised her hands above her head. “All those who cannot accept this risk the wrath of the Heavens themselves, and may the Fortunes forgive your foolishness.”

As Isawa Ochiai raised her hands, the clouds above her parted and the brilliance of the Heavens shone down on the mortal realm for the briefest of moments. When the light faded, and mortal eyes could once again look upon Ochiai, the gasp of shock was almost audible across the city.

The great Fire Dragon swam through the heavens above the Imperial Palace, seeming to coil around Ochiai protectively.

After their sudden arrival in the city’s northeastern quarter, the Phoenix washed over Toshi Ranbo like a wave. Their greatest shugenja, the Elemental Guard, moved through the streets like a force of nature. Alongside them were the Elemental Legions, Shiba trained to accompany, assist, and fight side by side with the Guard. Everywhere battle they found, the powerful Isawa magic held the combatants at bay until the legions could isolate each faction and prevent them from engaging. A tense peace followed in their wake. It was obvious that the samurai killing one another in the streets had little desire to obey the Phoenix mandate of peace, but the shadow of the Fire Dragon seemed to fall over every section of the city, and by its mere presence, it forced the cessation of battle. None dared lift a hand against the Fire Dragon, for to do so was to abandon every shred of belief in the Celestial Order and the Mandate of Heaven.

Water and wind, fire and earth were shaped by the Isawa at Ochiai’s command, and slowly, the city quieted. The battle was at an end, although none could say how long it would last.

The ONE time in AEG's tenure the Phoenix unilaterally punked out multiple opponents and they send the Fire Dragon in to steal the thunder.

Edited by Shiba Gunichi

5 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

You do not remember correctly.

Mea culpa.

Though the Crab and Crane turning on the Phoenix was pretty.....Yeah take THAT fire chickens!!??

7 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Especially the Fire Dragon bit.

The Fire Dragon's presence was only revealed after the Phoenix had rolled in and separated the combatants with a minimal loss of life. While calling the rain to douse the fires raging in the city.

The ONE time in AEG's tenure the Phoenix unilaterally punked out multiple opponents and they send the Fire Dragon in to steal the thunder.

That's life in the Phoenix Clan??

An Oni's summary of the clans:

Crab -  Samurai have hard shell, boil first, crack shell and suck out the juicy innards.  Best with melted butter.  Use the discarded tetsubos to clean your teeth.  Hygiene is important.

Crane -  Just a chicken with long legs. Crane samurai acts like chicken, tastes like chicken.  BBQ or deep fry.  Collect dripping to make a nice gravy.  Use their fancy clothes for a napkin.  Your manners are showing.

Dragon - It's just a big snake.  Grilled or braised careful not to overcook Samurai meat.  Its only time they  they get tough.  Scales make for good trade at market.

Lion - Just remember "Loins of Lion are worth trying, drink their tears when they are crying."  Lion pelts make for cozy blanket.

Phoenix - See Crane.  Only difference is Phoenix start the cook fire for you.

Scorpion -  "Little bug that lie taste best when you deep fry."  Wear their funny mask to trick other dumb samurai.

Unicorn - Can't spell Poni without the Oni.  They are secretly bringing bad stuff into Rokugan for us, so best to let them be.  If you not Oni and read this, just kidding.  You can trust me because I wear Scorpion mask.

Edited by Ishi Tonu

3 hours ago, YasukiKaito said:

Looks solid to me! :)

Under Theme I might add:

Crab: Practical
Lion: Tactical
Scorpion: Loyal
Unicorn: Compassionate

Mechanics

Crab: Sacrificing Characters

Those are very useful short words to add to the theme statements. I forgot about Crab sacrificing their own characters, but it totally makes sense in their theme. Thanks!