rbaker1978

Star Wars: Legion announced (by distributor)

148 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

There has been a lot of discussion about this over on the Armada forum. Mostly it's just to soon to know anything. After reading through it all though I am hoping for something on the same scale as Flames of War.

Edited by Swusn

I have a lot of thoughts on this. 

Though I'll hold off until there's an official announcement. 

I'm sure this game is going to take up a whole episode of our podcast next week. :P

I'm just worried it'll split up communities for their existing games. Most people pick one game and stick to it. I don't want to see the already small communities for IA or Armada, or the LCG shrink more if there's a new Star Wars game. 

If the game somehow incorporates IA minis though. ooooweee. :D

But anyway... I'll hold my tongue until there's an official announcment and we know more. 

31 minutes ago, RogueLieutenant said:

I have a lot of thoughts on this. 

Though I'll hold off until there's an official announcement. 

I'm sure this game is going to take up a whole episode of our podcast next week. :P

I'm just worried it'll split up communities for their existing games. Most people pick one game and stick to it. I don't want to see the already small communities for IA or Armada, or the LCG shrink more if there's a new Star Wars game. 

If the game somehow incorporates IA minis though. ooooweee. :D

But anyway... I'll hold my tongue until there's an official announcment and we know more. 

Right.  I'm thinking, make it like Rebel Assault, maybe.  Let all existing minis, including AT-STs and such be used.  Then, add in stuff that simply couldn't have worked for IA, like Airspeeders or AT-ATs.  

Otherwise, I really just don't see what new this can literally and figuratively bring to the table.

thereisnotry likes this

I have everything for IA (6x packs and 3x boxes) plus a star wars miniatures AT-AT, with all the miniatures lined up in a display cabinet. It looks like I've got armies ready for a 40K style miniatures game. Bring it on FFG.

However this is not the GenCon announcement I am looking for.

Much like Armada was scaled around the Imperial Star Destroyer, I think this will be scaled around the iconic AT-AT. So it probably won't step on the toes of IA all that much.  Just a guess though.  

This will be the cash grab that definitively kills IA skirmish. Rune Wars probably took off like a rocket, IA attendance is drowning, makes sense to just scuttle it and reboot with a more successful system. Might as well just call this Imperial Assault skirmish version 2.0. And then they can release Imperial Assault 2nd edition with full app integration so they can start double-dipping on all the campaign players who don't play skirmish. 

RIP IA. 

Spidey NZ likes this

I hope to close IA in Endor, closing the cycle from Tatooine to Endor with 6 boxes related to the main locations of the original trilogy. I love IA, but in Spain never took off, so few community playing it regularly.

I also think 6 competitive games in Star Wars lore are too much: IA, Armada, XWing, LCG, Destiny and Legion. 

Main things to know this afternoon about Legion:

• Scale? Same as IA? smaller to fit iconic AT-AT's?
  • Compatibility with IA? Could be amazing, but low probability to be true.
  • Rank and file game? I expect no, since modern warfare is not about several files of units walking or running in a battlefield
  • Infinity skirmish style game? Could be my best bet but rereading the description don't looks like. High density scenography boards could work really nice. And the lore is really rich to do that. Core box with big elements like W40k 8th edition could be really good.
  • Runewars similarities on fog of war system? One of the things I love from Runewars is the double dial system, lets see if the fog of war description is related with this.
  • W40k similarities about how groups are handled? Imho trays are not for this kind of game. Saga / Congo / W40k are individual miniatures into a group.
  • Table size dimensions to play? 6'x3' is really bad -Runewars and Armada, 3'x3' is amazing for X-Wing, FLGS have a lot of problem to deal with 6'x3' tables sometimes.

Let's see what FFG show to us!

ryanjamal likes this

I'm excited, but if this turns out to be Rune Wars with Star Wars slapped on it, I'll pass on the game itself and maybe just get the minis for RP or other minis rules.

7 minutes ago, robertpolson said:

So what does Star Wars Legions means for IA?

I'm not sure it does much to IA.  I think some skirmish folks will move over. As a primarily campaign player I completely lost any interest when they indicated that the mini's were unpainted, the scale was off (I'm not a minis guy, but Isn't IA 28mm scale?), and the primary design was going to heavily utilize upgrade cards...

None of those by themselves was a deal breaker, but altogether? I don't see myself purchasing it.

Frankly, I'm wondering if this isn't a bit of a mistake on FFGs part, because they seem to be splitting the competitive skirmish/wargamer pie with Runewars, Armada, X-Wing, and now Legion.  We'll see, FFG has done very well with the Star Wars license, so if anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt...

ManateeX likes this

Yeah. I'm still skeptical. 

I love Skirmish, but i'm worried more players will be dumping skirmish for this. It just feels like they're going to be splitting small communities even smaller. 

Also as someone who is flailing trying to keep up with all of the Star Wars games, this is just annoying lol. :P It's impossible to stay on top of all of them now!

If it's IA-mini compatible, I may pick it up. Otherwise... not the scale or type groundcombat system I was looking for rom the announcement. 

thestag likes this

I w as really looking for a game with At-Ats and snow speeders built in scale where that wouldn't be unwieldy but this seems more squad based than infantry based. Really this makes me think the game is sort of Imperial Assault without the limitation of the built in maps. Not that those reservations would stop me from picking it up.

VadersMarchKazoo likes this