Chronos96

What do you want from the next expansion and the game itself?

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I realize it will be awhile before the next deluxe is announced but it's always fun to speculate. FFG has done a great job on this game and continues to surprise with each scenario; that being said patterns and cycles have started to emerge with both the permanent boosters and skill cards as well as with the investigator requirements. Some people may say otherwise but I think it's interesting how Minh, William and, Sefina with the exception of her 33 card limit all have deck-building requirements like the core investigators. I don't doubt that FFG will break the mold in some way but I also wouldn't be surprised if we get a set of investigators that are inverses of the core or people like William. What I mean is this:

We have so far 8 Primary/secondary  class investigators 

Wendy (Survivor/Rogue)               William (Survivor/Guardian)

Roland (Guardian/Seeker)             Minh (Seeker/Survivor)

Skids (Rogue/Guardian)                 Sefina (Rogue/Mystic)

Daisy (Seeker/Mystic)

Agnes (Mystic/Survivor)

The deck building requirements for all of these is primary class levels 0-5 Neutral 0-5 and secondary class levels 0-2.

This likely gives us at least two more investigators with this deck building structure with the possibility of 10 more if you reverse them

ex. Roland is a Guardian with access to Seeker cards levels 0-2  but imagine a Seeker with access to Guardian cards levels 0-2

I don't FFG will be that formulaic but I do expect at least two more most likely a Mystic/Guardian and  Rogue/Seeker  which I could see Luke Bryant and Trish Scarborough being respectively in some later expansion.

Another thing that was surprising was the release of Lola Hayes and her requirements so early.  While her ability to use cards from any faction makes sense thematically when you compare her to Marie Lambeau I think Lola was released to get players to playing with 3 classes. Yes, she can technically have a deck with all 5 but consistency becomes a major issue even without worrying about her signature weakness. In order to have efficiency she really needs two main classes plus a third to cover any bases she's lacking in or you could go with a ratio of 50% one class and 25% for the other two. 

Lola Hayes's requirements:

Deck size: 35. Deckbuilding Options: Survivor, Guardian, Seeker, Rogue, and Mystic cards level 0-3, Neutral cards level 0-5.

Marie Lambeau's:

Deck size: 30. Deckbuilding options: Spell cards level 0-5, Mystic cards () level 0-3, Neutral cards level 0-5, Occult cards level 0, up to five other level 0 Seeker and/or Survivor cards

Notice the occult trait in Marie's requirements I think that she's basically a Dunwich Legacy investigator except instead of having 5 oof slots from any of the classes she has two. Now if any of you play magic you'll know that there are 10 3 colored combinations. I think the rest of the investigators like marie will probably probably be in expansions 3-5 as well as the other investigators that complete Mark and Akachi who are also focused on traits but who seem to stick with their class/color like how Mark focuses on Tactic trait cards and Akachi on cards with charges and occult.

Now in terms of what I want for a Deluxe expansion I really hope there's a Dreamlands campaign as well as a Mountains of Madness/Ithaqua campaign based on the release of the first two expansions it seems like expansions 3 and 4 will be Cthulhu and Shub-niggurath. I also want to see Lily Chin, Amanda Sharpe, Monty, Charlie Kane and Diana Stanely soon as well as Dexter Drake.

Edited by Chronos96

1 hour ago, Chronos96 said:

Based on the release of the first two expansions it seems like expansions 3 and 4 will be Cthulhu and Azathoth.

What information are you basing your estimate of Azathoth on? For my part I would guess Shub-Niggurath given that the core set had an encounter set "Agents of Shub-Niggurath".

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, ricedwlit said:

What information are you basing your estimate of Azathoth on? For my part I would guess Shub-Niggurath given that the core set had an encounter set "Agents of Shub-Niggurath".

I meant Shub.  Funny that, that's the thing that gets someone to comment.

Edited by Chronos96
hengst2404 likes this

So much to consider here. I have a chart of 25 possible two faction combos (depending on which is the 'main' and which the 'secondary') which I'm slowly filling in, but of course Dunwich investigators and Marie both rather exploded that... and then Lola did too. That makes me feel pretty positive that there isn't a formula that Matt feels he has to shoehorn each investigator into, and could lead to weirder and more wonderful investigators. Even with what we know of PtC, it seems as though the idea to have all five (or six!) investigators behave in similar fashion within a single box has gone out of the window. So in terms of what I want to see: just more investigators who are immersive and interesting to play. I'm going to really enjoy getting to grips with Mark and Akachi, both investigators who seem fairly straightforward but might have a lot of nuance both for deckbuilding and then piloting, as well as the more overtly bonkers investigators - Lola and Sefina. Meanwhile Yorick and Minh open up great lines of consideration - I'd not much considered survivor and guardian pairings, or indeed survivor + seeker. 

For deluxes: I do actually really want a Cthulhu cycle and a Shub one. I know it's the expected thing with the four 'Agents' sets in the core set, but I find it, however prosaic it might seem, to be quite appealing. It would really fill out one's expectations of the core set and I think an Innsmouth / chartering a ship / Ry'leh cycle, and a woods / cultic activity / verdant growth cycle would both be immense. So yeah... that's where I'm at. I think once we've seen more of Carcosa we'll have a better idea of just how much potential this game has! 

9 hours ago, ricedwlit said:

9 hours ago, Chronos96 said:

I meant Shub.  Funny that, that's the thing that gets someone to comment.

I guess I deserved that - my defense is it was late and night and I was on a mobile device. :)

So to answer your original question:  I would like to continue to see more investigators that "break the rules" like Lola, Marie, etc.  I've no problem with Core and Dunwich investigators deck building rules since they are easy to understand and work with.  But I really appreciate the challenge that comes with having to put together a deck that isn't primarily driven by being one class.   I've got Marie and while I've used here a few times, I think her potential isn't really there yet since we don't have enough cards specifically for her.

As far as cycles go, once we finish with the Hastur/Cthulhu/Shub I'd love to have a cycle with Nyalarthotep.   The deluxe could set up the framing story and then each pack could be devoted to uncovering/dealing with one of his masks as we try to foil some overall plot.

28 minutes ago, zooeyglass said:

I think once we've seen more of Carcosa we'll have a better idea of just how much potential this game has! 

I agree, I'm personally excited about the four icon skill cards that you can only use when your at a certain threshold.

Posted (edited)

I guess I deserved that - my defense is it was late and night and I was on a mobile device. :)

29 minutes ago, ricedwlit said:

You're fine, it was just at the time of your post something like 17 people had viewed this and hadn't said anything.

So to answer your original question:  I would like to continue to see more investigators that "break the rules" like Lola, Marie, etc.  I've no problem with Core and Dunwich investigators deck building rules since they are easy to understand and work with.  But I really appreciate the challenge that comes with having to put together a deck that isn't primarily driven by being one class.   I've got Marie and while I've used here a few times, I think her potential isn't really there yet since we don't have enough cards specifically for her.

She seems interesting but I agree I wonder if she'll be more usable after Carcosa, I do think she's likely to be in one of the next two expansions though. So probably sometime in 2018-2019. Based on the release schedule of Dunwich and the month break it seems like we'll be done with Carcosa by February assuming it comes out on the last day of this month. I wonder if there will be a larger gap though between Carcosa and the third deluxe though. I remember when the leak came out earlier this year so I'm curious if they announced Carcosa when they did because of the leak or if they always intended to announce it when they did.

Edited by Chronos96
Jobu likes this

I don't think they should make reverses of the 2 faction cards. Having a seeker with of 2 guardian would be boring and too similar to Roland.

They can still happen, But with different rules. Maybe up to 5 Guardian cards and something else. 

I want to see an expansion that combines 2 cycles into a single campaign, or something similar, like a deluxe box with 12 mythos packs or something.  I also want to see a standalone with usable non story assets, it may be impossible but I would love to see a standalone with an xp card for each faction that somehow relates to it.

On 8/17/2017 at 9:33 AM, ricedwlit said:

Also Shub is mentioned the Rougarou standalone I believe

9 hours ago, Starbreaker1 said:

I want to see an expansion that combines 2 cycles into a single campaign, or something similar, like a deluxe box with 12 mythos packs or something.  I also want to see a standalone with usable non story assets, it may be impossible but I would love to see a standalone with an xp card for each faction that somehow relates to it.

Ew. 8 scenarios is quite long enough for me, thanks. :P

I wouldn't mind seeing the Shub-Niggurath box (if it follows Carcosa) explore damage in the way Carcosa purports to explore horror.