Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarthDude

1st or 2nd edition?

20 posts in this topic

I have been told by awed friends, that d6 StarWars is the best StarWars RPG to date. Sadly I never played it, but what I know so far is that there are 2 editions. Which one will this be and which one is the better? I love FFG Star Wars, but I might give the WEG version a shot out of nostalgia.

Hexnwolf likes this

It looks like the first edition. The covers are the same. The other two editions are of course second edition and second edition revised and expanded

DarthDude likes this

On 8/16/2017 at 2:19 PM, DarthDude said:

I have been told by awed friends, that d6 StarWars is the best StarWars RPG to date. Sadly I never played it, but what I know so far is that there are 2 editions. Which one will this be and which one is the better? I love FFG Star Wars, but I might give the WEG version a shot out of nostalgia.

This is opinions, I myself have played or ran every edition of Star Wars from the original D6 to FFG Star Wars and in my opinion, FFG is the best rendition of Star Wars, it brings back the Dice pool which the original grew up on, Saga Star Wars was also pretty cool as well but I do think the Narrative Dice pool allows the players to get into the game with the advantages since it would allow them to come up with their own ways to spend their Advantages in every situation, in the original D6 was just based off of Hitting a certain number rather if it was a low number or a high number. D20 Star Wars was okay and the Saga edition made that edition a great system for all the D20 hype at the time.

Also the crew for Order 66 GM Chris and GM Dave help their listeners understand what you can do with system and what they have done in their own games, rather of it was the Saga edition or the narrative edition of Star Wars and they are even going to help with the GENESYS podcast, I do highly recommend listening to the Order 66 podcast sometime, it is usually about an hour long podcast and they do talk with the writers and have fun little segments done by others. Check it out sometime.

Endersai and DarthDude like this

3 minutes ago, gilbur said:

This is opinions, I myself have played or ran every edition of Star Wars from the original D6 to FFG Star Wars and in my opinion, FFG is the best rendition of Star Wars, it brings back the Dice pool which the original grew up on, Saga Star Wars was also pretty cool as well but I do think the Narrative Dice pool allows the players to get into the game with the advantages since it would allow them to come up with their own ways to spend their Advantages in every situation, in the original D6 was just based off of Hitting a certain number rather if it was a low number or a high number. D20 Star Wars was okay and the Saga edition made that edition a great system for all the D20 hype at the time.

Also the crew for Order 66 GM Chris and GM Dave help their listeners understand what you can do with system and what they have done in their own games, rather of it was the Saga edition or the narrative edition of Star Wars and they are even going to help with the GENESYS podcast, I do highly recommend listening to the Order 66 podcast sometime, it is usually about an hour long podcast and they do talk with the writers and have fun little segments done by others. Check it out sometime.

Their Podcast is awesome and I surely will look forward to their Genesys effots. 

I loved the SAGA approach, the talent trees they invented. That time I was hoping this to be the next 4th edition but alas, then D&D 4th came over us and it had MMO simulation written all over it.

Posted (edited)

So we don't know officially what edition this is? I get the covers are 1st Edition, but doesn't necessarily mean it's 1st Edition rules. 

Edited by selderane
splad likes this

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:19 AM, DarthDude said:

If you're going 2nd ed, get R&E. There's nothing quite like Wookies who can't stop raging to get your games going sideways.

splad likes this

Posted (edited)

Under the FFG rules, wookiees can rage non-stop for months, or for exactly as long as some piddly critical hit remains unhealed. This can be something that has no effect on you anymore, like a hit that dazed you for a turn,  other than the +10 to further critical hits (so it's a rank of anti-Durable in exchange for ÷2 Brawl/Melee damage).

Edited by HappyDaze
Autocorrect sucks.
splad likes this

I think each system has its strengths.

I love the ships and hardware FFG has created but Star Wars WEG was my first RPG so I'll always have a huge soft spot for it and IMO Saga is by far the best system for ship combat, especially fleet combat.

I think that outside of fighters WEG space combat is far too quick, too all or nothing to fit with what we saw in the movies.FFG is better there but I still prefer a system designed for a map for space craft and fleet combat because outside of rare circumstances a ship captain or fleet commander would have access to something akin to a Saga map IMO. But Saga using a class and level based character system makes it much worse then the others for building a diverse character especially if something changes the player's plans for what skills and abilities they are going to develop mid campaign.

15 minutes ago, RogueCorona said:

I think that outside of fighters WEG space combat is far too quick, too all or nothing to fit with what we saw in the movies.FFG is better there .

Many FFG capital ships can destroy an equivalent vessel in a single turn's exchange of fire, and since range doesn't matter as long as it's in-range, they can do this all the way out to the limits of their range. Closing with Star Destroyers makes no real difference, they'll kill you at any range or miss you completely because of the craptastic FFG Silhouette rules.

4 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

Many FFG capital ships can destroy an equivalent vessel in a single turn's exchange of fire, and since range doesn't matter as long as it's in-range, they can do this all the way out to the limits of their range. Closing with Star Destroyers makes no real difference, they'll kill you at any range or miss you completely because of the craptastic FFG Silhouette rules.

WEG used scale to throttle dice from different sizes. That way capital weapons would have a harder time hitting smaller ships but do full damage. Also to answer the charge that space combat was to quick was an exact unerline of what star wars space combat was like. The space transports were rugged enough in starfighter to starfighter combat that it made longevity in combat a real thing.

On 2017-08-19 at 10:19 PM, selderane said:

So we don't know officially what edition this is? I get the covers are 1st Edition, but doesn't necessarily mean it's 1st Edition rules. 

I would be they're 1st edition, simply because it's the 30th anniversary of that edition.  FFG would not turn down the opportunity to milk this, so several years from now we can "look forward" to 30th anniversary editions of the others.

Endersai likes this

1 hour ago, whafrog said:

I would be they're 1st edition, simply because it's the 30th anniversary of that edition.  FFG would not turn down the opportunity to milk this, so several years from now we can "look forward" to 30th anniversary editions of the others.

I'm inclined to agree... I just want to be wrong.

4 hours ago, whafrog said:

Against the laws of realism many people who enjoy that the D6 system is being reprinted but is it likely to be relaunched unfortunately no and it's sad that potential of such an endevour being wasted but ffg is very unlikely to use and open source system in favour of their own despite its many flaws.

On 8/21/2017 at 5:38 AM, splad said:

WEG used scale to throttle dice from different sizes. That way capital weapons would have a harder time hitting smaller ships but do full damage. Also to answer the charge that space combat was to quick was an exact unerline of what star wars space combat was like. The space transports were rugged enough in starfighter to starfighter combat that it made longevity in combat a real thing.

Yeah but it doesn't really fit the movies. Look at ROTJ where we see a Nebulon-B and and Imperial Star Destroyer trading fire with no signs that the smaller ship is badly damaged much less destroyed in one salvo.

1 hour ago, RogueCorona said:

Yeah but it doesn't really fit the movies. Look at ROTJ where we see a Nebulon-B and and Imperial Star Destroyer trading fire with no signs that the smaller ship is badly damaged much less destroyed in one salvo.

Trying to hit star fighters with capital-ship weapons is difficult that's why they have a star-fighter defense and they were doing plenty of snub fighter kills.

A Nebulon-B is a capital ship. Much smaller then a Star Destroyer, less then 20% the length. but still a capital scale target

On 8/19/2017 at 8:19 PM, selderane said:

Looking at the sample pages they had in the announcement, that was the 1st Edition book. I would be shocked if we got one of the other editions.

Harlock999 likes this

17 hours ago, Desslok said:

Looking at the sample pages they had in the announcement, that was the 1st Edition book. I would be shocked if we got one of the other editions.

Man, that's disappointing.  I didn't see that.

Yeah, count me as one of the voices passing.  Were I inclined to play an older edition, 1st Edition would not be it.