Snipafist

Star Wars: Legion large scale FFG ground combat minis wargame

16 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Nope.  Hothgary regularly has 8 come out for Fleet Patrols, with 3-4 apologies.  We had 20 at our Store Championships, and that was players just from Calgary with a couple from Red Deer, no-one from Edmonton made the trip down.

Got another store's Store Champs on Saturday, too.  So I get to see the people who can't make my normal Sunday Tournaments.

5-6 groups are all basement CC play, too.

In short, the Core Set is the only Price Barrier to the game  (And that often breaks $140 here, if you get it locally - more if you add postage.  Even more if you add Import fees)...  Once you've bought in, you've bought in.  You'll buy that Star Destroyer because you've bought in, and its a freakin' Star Destroyer.

Just looked at Amazon.ca to get a feel for your prices.

Despite accounting for the weaker Canadian dollar, those are high prices even after discount.  The ISD is $75 Canadian.  Even after exchanging to USD, that's still the equivalent of $10 more expensive in the states MSRP.  

11 hours ago, Snipafist said:

I'm an FLGS employee (hobby job as I await the kiddo) and I'm looking at the email right now. Check your email inbox. You should be looking for an email titled "Alliance Midwest Daily Receiving 8/16/17." Most of the time, the solicitation emails from distributors are ignored by everyone because they're glorified spam, so I'm not surprised it snuck past most people.

Any other game store employees out there who can back this up? Just search your store email inbox for an email from Alliance or for the title I supplied and you should be able to corroborate the existence of Legion in it.

I have been playing my own version of "Ground Battles" for X-Wing for a while now:

S4kv6hj.jpg

Nn6oAE9.jpg

The infantry is 10mm and a stand represents a squad of 10 soldiers.  The AT-AT is around 10cm tall (4") and fits the Gozanti very well.

Ne20QXnb.jpg

Just thought I would speculate with pictures.

Edited by DB Draft

3 minutes ago, Norell said:

There were no huge Warhammer-like ground battles in GCW. If anything then in the Clone wars...

Depends on how big you consider the warhammer battles, there's a significant difference between 1000 point games and 2500, which are we talking about?

3 minutes ago, Norell said:

2500 points as I assume there will be a similar sacle cap in this game too.

Well, Battle of Hoth?

triple AT-AT, some AT-STs, then troops deployed from empire

Many troopers, snowspeeders, turbolaser stations, and a shield generator for rebellion

Could work...

11 minutes ago, Visovics said:

Depends on how big you consider the warhammer battles, there's a significant difference between 1000 point games and 2500, which are we talking about?

Warhammer 40k games are no bigger than a company level skirmish by modern standards. Give me battalion and brigade level battles please.

Edited by Truthiness

Scarrif could also fit with a stretch

The main problem on those thoughts is how unbalanced things are, the empire always has the bigger more destructive stuff. Rebels are on foot against chicken walkers, AT-ATs, AT-ACTs, Tanks... Air support is what helps in the balancing

7 minutes ago, Visovics said:

Scarrif could also fit with a stretch

The main problem on those thoughts is how unbalanced things are, the empire always has the bigger more destructive stuff. Rebels are on foot against chicken walkers, AT-ATs, AT-ACTs, Tanks... Air support is what helps in the balancing

Infantry with good close air support is very dangerous in modern style warfare and significantly more flexible. What it lacks compared to armor is speed. Infantry be a wee bit slow.

I think this will have some emphasis on the new movies and material coming out like the battle of scariff.  Add in the ep8 trailer showing a pretty decent sized space battle and we are looking at more equal sides in the fight.

The Battle for Endor was no small battle.  sure the Empire played with 2000more pts lets say but really, the original trilogies had some of these battles, especially in the EU.  Were they huge all in gambits, no, but there is a place for the 40k level of "large skirmish".  I would expect 40kish size so 60models vs 60models roughly.  I do hope there is air support in some form.  We shall see.

I hope there is an update today during the in flight thing they do at GenCon.

I'm excited to see what this all is, but man oh man are they not going to let what you saw in the original trilogy limit their design space. That I can guarantee. (Also, I can guarantee they're not making a game based off the prequels when they have the option of making a game based off the actual original movies.)

4 hours ago, DB Draft said:

I have been playing my own version of "Ground Battles" for X-Wing for a while now:

S4kv6hj.jpg

Nn6oAE9.jpg

The infantry is 10mm and a stand represents a squad of 10 soldiers.  The AT-AT is around 10cm tall (4") and fits the Gozanti very well.

Ne20QXnb.jpg

What is this from? This is exactly what I want!

25 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Guys, guys, 

Calling it now, before the reveal. Core set comes with 1 AT-ST and a dozen or so Stormtroopers for the Imperials. And on the rebels side? 100 ewoks, plus a couple log traps. 

Wave 1 will include more of the same, but will also have the Ewok Glider. 

;)

My call based on the $90 reported price tag, unpainted...

1 AT-AT and 6 Snow Troopers for the Empire

1 Snow Speeder, 1 Gun Emplacement and 10 Rebel Soldiers for the Rebels.

Possibly a little more for each side based on price and scale.

37 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Guys, guys, 

Calling it now, before the reveal. Core set comes with 1 AT-ST and a dozen or so Stormtroopers for the Imperials. And on the rebels side? 100 ewoks, plus a couple log traps. 

;)

Noooo! Log Traps are all well and good but I need me some Ewok Gliders day 1. If there's no Ewok Gliders in the core set then this game is DOA. #Legionisdead:P

1 hour ago, Herowannabe said:

Guys, guys, 

;)

If this game has Ewoks I would buy them, I like the guys and you can never have too many Ewok gliders, X-Wing and Armada need them too:lol::lol:

And didn't someone say they eat the dead Stormtroopers? Would make for a great special rule: "Whenever you kill a enemy unit in close combat heal one wound"

Edited by Iceeagle85

5 hours ago, DB Draft said:

S4kv6hj.jpg

Nn6oAE9.jpg

Ne20QXnb.jpg

That's it!  That's what I'm after!  Where did you get those models?