Jump to content
Snipafist

Star Wars: Legion large scale FFG ground combat minis wargame

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Visovics said:

The best move for them is CIS vs. Clone Troopers, it's what we see most big scale ground engagements, episodes 2 and 3 give SEVERAL vehicles and units for both sides

It's certainly a more bountiful source of vehicles. The Rebel Alliance is sorely lacking in ground units. Snowspeeders, those ski speeders from The Last Jedi... and that's pretty much it.

The description does say Galactic Civil War though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mistake people are making is assuming that just because they didn't see it in the original trilogy it must not exist.  We know that the Empire still has a need for tanks in Rogue One even with AT-STs and platoons of Stormtroopers patrolling around and an Imperial Star Destroyer literally blotting out the sun. That indicates that heavy armor and weapons are a major threat on the ground for Imperial forces.   Even the equivalent of skimmer technicals would be a major threat in a Star Wars land battle.

Also,  Legends/EU got absolutely stupid with power levels.   If 4 ISD-2s could actually slag a planet of all  surface life in less than 24 hours,  then the Death Star would be a meaningless threat next to a squadron of 10 Star Destroyers appearing in orbit at a fraction of the cost.  So heavy armor from the Clone Wars would be a major threat in the hands of the Rebellion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, thecactusman17 said:

Also,  Legends/EU got absolutely stupid with power levels.   If 4 ISD-2s could actually slag a planet of all  surface life in less than 24 hours,  then the Death Star would be a meaningless threat next to a squadron of 10 Star Destroyers appearing in orbit at a fraction of the cost.  So heavy armor from the Clone Wars would be a major threat in the hands of the Rebellion. 

Well, even in Cannon ISDs have the potential to level a planet, we see in the Aftermath it exists a call to 3 ISDs on Kashyyyk to do continual Orbital Bombardment on the planet, the time frame seems a bit powerful tho (24 hours is crazy!!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget the tanks.

"Our scouts have returned Sir. They report Zulus Ewoks to the South, thousands of 'em."

"Well Colour Sargent, build the mealie bags a little higher and prepare the light repeating blasters. Oh yes and if they start singing 'Yub-Yub' at us don't retaliate, just gun them down."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The description says "Infantry Battles" so it's not given, that there will be tons of vehicles.

And just because the description says "Epic" it's not given, that it will be anything like the Epic 40K scale.

Although it absolutely could be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, thecactusman17 said:

The mistake people are making is assuming that just because they didn't see it in the original trilogy it must not exist.  We know that the Empire still has a need for tanks in Rogue One even with AT-STs and platoons of Stormtroopers patrolling around and an Imperial Star Destroyer literally blotting out the sun. That indicates that heavy armor and weapons are a major threat on the ground for Imperial forces.   Even the equivalent of skimmer technicals would be a major threat in a Star Wars land battle.

Also,  Legends/EU got absolutely stupid with power levels.   If 4 ISD-2s could actually slag a planet of all  surface life in less than 24 hours,  then the Death Star would be a meaningless threat next to a squadron of 10 Star Destroyers appearing in orbit at a fraction of the cost.  So heavy armor from the Clone Wars would be a major threat in the hands of the Rebellion. 

Infantry, yeah, but why would armored vehicles indicate they fear Rebel tanks? Coallition troops in Afghanistan have tanks, IFVs and heavy artillery but that doesn't mean they expect Talibans to dig up and use MBTs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, eMeM said:

Infantry, yeah, but why would armored vehicles indicate they fear Rebel tanks? Coallition troops in Afghanistan have tanks, IFVs and heavy artillery but that doesn't mean they expect Talibans to dig up and use MBTs.

That's because they destroyed all the Taliban tanks in the initial assault.  That's the point.  We (the USA) actually went in and actively targeted all the American and Russian technology almost immediately.  And it left the Taliban and AQ hiding in caves and only walking around in plainclothes in urban centers we didn't want to bomb because they were filled with everyone else.

I had a much longer post about this, but decided to delete it when I realized my analogy was going to get me another warning.  At best.

Tanks kill infantry, but they are vulnerable to armor piercing weapons.  On the ground among infantry, you will typically have fewer armor piercing weapons.  And that's what allows tanks to have a place when air superiority hasn't been claimed in modern battlefields.  And in modern battlefields, the deciding factor is claiming air superiority.  In Star Wars, air superiority is a much more transient thing because so many Star Wars vehicles are fighter jets and similar air superiority systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teloch said:

My money is on it being a different scale to IA. It wouldn't make sense from a business perspective to let people reuse their IA models instead of buying the new ones.

Depends on what they plan for IA.  If they're about to drop it because of the lawsuits with other companies, it's an easy switch from one to the other and they don't have to destroy the molds (which I understand to be expensive).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, Dust Tactics (grid-based skirmish boardgame) and Dust Warfare (classic miniatures wargame) both share(d) the same line of 28mm miniatures and battlefield accessories. It wouldn't be a stretch to repeat the play with IA/Legion. It really all depends on how many AT-ATs are expected to hit a Legion battlefield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thecactusman17 said:

Depends on what they plan for IA.  If they're about to drop it because of the lawsuits with other companies, it's an easy switch from one to the other and they don't have to destroy the molds (which I understand to be expensive).

Im in agreeance. If the line is dropped it will keep the player base alot happier to recycle these back into the new game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thecactusman17 said:

That's because they destroyed all the Taliban tanks in the initial assault.  That's the point.  We (the USA) actually went in and actively targeted all the American and Russian technology almost immediately.  And it left the Taliban and AQ hiding in caves and only walking around in plainclothes in urban centers we didn't want to bomb because they were filled with everyone else.

I had a much longer post about this, but decided to delete it when I realized my analogy was going to get me another warning.  At best.

Tanks kill infantry, but they are vulnerable to armor piercing weapons.  On the ground among infantry, you will typically have fewer armor piercing weapons.  And that's what allows tanks to have a place when air superiority hasn't been claimed in modern battlefields.  And in modern battlefields, the deciding factor is claiming air superiority.  In Star Wars, air superiority is a much more transient thing because so many Star Wars vehicles are fighter jets and similar air superiority systems.

Countries that joined the Coalition later, when there was absolutely zero chance of anything bigger than a toyota appearing still took heavy AFVs with them.

The presence of Imperial heavy weapons doesn't mean the Rebels have anything comparable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Darknet said:

Im in agreeance. If the line is dropped it will keep the player base alot happier to recycle these back into the new game.

That would be genius - you mean if Legions was the same scale as IA? Their sales of IA minis would certainly get a shot in the arm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

ALL WINGS REPORT IN...!

This may be the game I need right now... X-Wing is definitely a huge part of my "free time" but it's making me sad recently. Can't wait to see the scale! And if the minis are painted. I imagine not, which is fine - but maybe. 

The release said unpainted. But maybe figs are unpainted, vehicles painted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...