sappidus

Vague Mountain of Fire spoilers

66 posts in this topic

Just now, Bullroarer Took said:

Already spoiled Elledan & Elrohir.  The a unique Leadership ally for 2...

I'm done.

Looks like Rosie Cotton, with the Tactics hero being Tom Cotton (anyone call that?!).

Looks like Tom Cotton will be a decent hobbit defender, with 1/1/3/3? stats as our last unspoiled hero.
I think Rosie is 2/0/0/?, as our last unspoiled ally.
3 cost Leadership event with what looks like Aragorn's banner, 1 cost Tactics event, looks like 1 cost neutral attachment (+ Guthwine and Orc Disguise, which says attach to the Ring-Bearer) round out the remaining player cards.
Elladan and Elrohir are the only Spirit/Lore cards in the box.

Looks to me like Tom Cotton has 8 threat, so his threat is sum of stats.

I agree Rosie is 2/0/0, and at 2 cost is a good value.  Can't make out the text when blowing up, but I'm pretty sure it's a response.

27 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

I agree Rosie is 2/0/0, and at 2 cost is a good value.  Can't make out the text when blowing up, but I'm pretty sure it's a response.

I think it's an action with exhaust, actually. So, yay, Leadership Faramir decks...?

I think Rosie's ability is an action, since it seems shorter than "Response" in Elladan/Elrohir's text box. I think the Leadership event is a Quest action, and the Tactics event is a response.

Here's what the announcement article said about the player cards from this expansion:

The Mountain of Fire is loaded with new heroes, allies, events, and attachments that truly convey the awesome resolve of those noble and daring Men, Elves, Dwarves, and Hobbits that stood at the end against the forces of Mordor. [...] These are but two of the nine different player cards (three copies of each) that you'll find in The Mountain of Fire, and while these Elves may help you carve you way through your enemies, you'll find other cards to help you raise your spirits and evade the evils around you.

The Leadership event is probably related to "the awesome resolve" of the Free Peoples, and perhaps to raising spirits. Orc Disguise likely helps to evade enemies. I have no idea what the Tactics event will do. The neutral attachment looks like it could say "Attach to a Hobbit hero" and its image seems like this one from The Road to Doom preview article, which suggests it will relate to resolve or raising spirits:

mec62_sam-frodo.png

Caleb is keeping to his custom of having non-Fellowship heroes in the Saga boxes share a trait with allies in the Saga boxes (Gandalf, Bard and Beorn are exceptions, but we have Théoden-Háma, Treebeard-Quickbeam, Faramir-Anborn, Damrod-Mablung, Éowyn-Grimbold, Beregond-Imrahil), but this time there's a sphere swap. When Elfhelm was spoiled as a Tactics ally, I doubted that we would get Gwaihir hero and Meneldor ally (as I had previously expected) because it wouldn't really make sense to have Meneldor as the only Leadership eagle. (I expect we will still get Meneldor at some point.) It makes sense to have Elfhelm be Tactics, because Tactics is more of a Rohan sphere than Leadership, and it makes sense for Rosie to be Leadership (even though that doesn't match her dad) so that she can fit into a deck with Sam. Depending on whether her ability can be interpreted as inspiration from afar, I might include her in my thematic campaign for the Mount Doom, based on this quote:

Never for long had hope died in his staunch heart, and always until now he had taken some thought for their return. But the bitter truth came home to him at last: at best their provision would take them to their goal; and when the task was done, there they would come to an end, alone, houseless, foodless in the midst of a terrible desert. There could be no return.
‘So that was the job I felt I had to do when I started,’ thought Sam: ‘to help Mr. Frodo to the last step and then die with him? Well, if that is the job then I must do it. But I would dearly like to see Bywater again, and Rosie Cotton and her brothers, and the Gaffer and Marigold and all. I can’t think somehow that Gandalf would have sent Mr. Frodo on this errand if there hadn’t a’ been any hope of his ever coming back at all. Things all went wrong when he went down in Moria. I wish he hadn’t. He would have done something.’
But even as hope died in Sam, or seemed to die, it was turned to a new strength. Sam’s plain hobbit-face grew stern, almost grim, as the will hardened in him, and he felt through all his limbs a thrill, as if he was turning into some creature of stone and steel that neither despair nor weariness nor endless barren miles could subdue.

Later, as Frodo and Sam are running out of water, Sam remembers "the cool mud about his toes as he paddled in the Pool at Bywater with Jolly Cotton and Tom and Nibs, and their sister Rosie. ‘But that was years ago,’ he sighed, ‘and far away. The way back, if there is one, goes past the Mountain.’"

2 hours ago, sappidus said:

Looks like Rosie Cotton, with the Tactics hero being Tom Cotton (anyone call that?!).

Master of Lore predicted that we might get a Tom Cotton hero and Rosie Cotton ally a long time ago, referring to Farmer Cotton's role in the Battle of Bywater. (Scouring of the Shire looks likely as a PoD for this year's Fellowship event.) I didn't predict them for this expansion, but I noticed the art for Tom and Rosie Cotton recently, and anticipated that we might see them soon:

The second from the right image in the bottom row might be art for Rosie Cotton, and the old character next to Arwen might be Gaffer Gamgee or Farmer Cotton.

Quest spoilers:

Several of the  encounter cards have two eye icons, and one has three, so Fortitude tests are relatively high variance. (I'm pretty sure this is what Caleb was referring to in the video when he mentioned that he was expecting some angry emails, since it all comes down to a Fortitude test at the end.) There's a Nazgûl enemy in the Mount Doom encounter deck, so in Epic Multiplayer Mode the Aragorn players can potentially reduce the threat in Frodo's staging area by letting the Eye of Sauron flip to Frodo's side for one round (hopefully with few Nazgûl moving to Frodo's staging area) and then flip it back, taking all the Nazgûl and keeping them.

mec62-the-eye-of-sauron-side1.pngmec62-the-eye-of-sauron-side2.png

(If Caleb is careful to avoid having more than eight Nazgûl in play at a time, I expect we'll only have two Nazgûl enemies in each of the encounter decks for the last quest, since there might be four copies of Wraith on Wings in play.) Several of the Orcs have negative effects when they engage you. A deck that keeps its threat low has easier fortitude tests and doesn't have the penalties from engaging enemies, but threat builds up in the staging area. As Caleb said in the Team Covenant video, it will be difficult to keep threat low, since threat is increased by 1 each round for each non-Ring-bearer character you control. I look forward to seeing how Gollum works, including how he can help with the final fortitude test. Reaching the conclusion of the saga campign is exciting, and tomorrow we should have full player card spoilers.

Posted (edited)

Looks like quite a few (for a LOTR LCG expansion) secondary Hobbits in this box. I think a Scouring of the Shire scenario somewhere is pretty much guaranteed. I mean, giving us Tom Cotton who only was important during the Scouring and not giving us Scouring would be a huge bummer. Still, I'm really hyped for Rosie and Tom Cotton. I'm also excited for that "Captains of the West" event or at least that's how I read it (with beautiful art depicting the Gondor, Rohan and Dol Amroth banners blowing). If mono Leadership Gondor wants it, I'll be really happy.

As always, I'm really curious about that neutral attachment. I get the feeling this box might contain a lot of state-of-the-game changing cards (I hope so anyway), especially if that card which looks like it might be related to Secrecy judging by the art brings Secrecy to a whole new level. Or maybe it's a generic courage themed card and works in all decks. Either way, I'm excited for the player cards in this box.

Also, am I the only one who thinks those Snaga look pretty darn big? Power creep anyone?

Edited by Gizlivadi
JsBingley and dr00 like this

Rosie Cotton is really good with Sam.  You can wait until after staging to add her WP to the quest, or you can save her to boost Sam's defense or attack.  Friend of Friends is also potentially amazing with Sam.

Just now, John Constantine said:

She exhausts to give her STR to someone else, what's your prob?

I thought you would misinterpret.  Margaery gives +3, Rosie one less than that.  So she is Margaery -1.

Posted (edited)

Well, Rosie has 2 wp, so she gives 2. Margaery has 3 so she gives 3. I meant the whole concept, not exact numbers.

Edited by John Constantine

Wir, what? How many Hobbit allies do we have? Aren't these cards a bit powerless? Do I miss something???

9 minutes ago, Flrbb said:

Wir, what? How many Hobbit allies do we have? Aren't these cards a bit powerless? Do I miss something???

You only need one.  Farmer Maggot.  Have him come in, do 2 direct damage, attack for four then bounce out so he can do his damage again next turn.

I am happy for more hobbits, but I am disappointed I'm not getting a new hero Sam.  The second half of the Return of the King is told from his point of view.  At one point he is the only character.  It's crazy they left him out.

dr00, Kjeld and Nickpes like this

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Flrbb said:

Eight. Rosie will make 9. Interestingly, Tom could also revive the long-derided Keen-eyed Took.

Edited by Kjeld

Curious Brandybuck seems perfect for Tom Cotton. Rosie is cool too since her ability does not say "Printed" Willpower so she gets even better with things like Sword that was Broken and ally Faramir

dr00 likes this