Jump to content
copperbell

Who still owns copies of both of these?

Recommended Posts

To answer the question of this thread: still have the original 1st edition RPG book, plus (all 1st editions) the sourcebook and Galaxy Guide 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. All in extremely good condition (I only played the game a couple of times... I good the books to read and collect)

Getting reprints of Tatooine Manhunt, Starfall, Death in the Undercity etc would be a wish come true.

Edited by Jedi Bendu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2017 at 1:18 PM, Currahee Chris said:

Yeah, I agree which is what has me scratching my head over all of this- is FFG doing this as another, game exclusive to their current SW offering? The article states that it is a collectors edition release and not compatible with the current SW FFG systems.....which begs the question (At least in my mind) why do it??

Personally, yes, I picked it up back in 87 when it was released and it was (and still is) a fantastic game system. Would be neat to see some new material on it.

Why do it? It's pretty much easy money, that's why. There's very little effort needed to develop this - it's primarily just a re-print, so there's some re-mastering for new printing techniques, but the writing is done, and there's no need to playtest something that's been out for 30 years. There's also a sizeable, very vocal market for this (notice all of us coming out of the woodwork, excited about it). Once they were able to acquire the rights to print this, then doing this is as near to a sure thing as you're going to get in the RPG industry.

This is a case where FFG's desire for money and my desire for nostalgia intersect perfectly. Win-win, all-around, really!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got around 20 Star Wars WEG books in the basement including these two. I still use WEG as a resource, but since I discovered the d6holocron website I'm more likely to look in my downloaded d6holocron folder then bother with a trip to the basement. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had everything produced by WEG for Star Wars practically, a couple i didn't bother with such as the Death Star Technical Companion...kinda pointless. My favorite was the Tales of the Jedi and the Adventure Journals (with author contributions of Timothy Zahn among others). Notable mentions was Planets of the Galaxy 3, Rules of Engagement. They were well conceived and executed. They also did something that FFG seems reluctant to do and that was do direct companions for movies and the EU. A little tidbit was when Timothy Zahn was going to write the beloved Heir to the Empire trilogy he was given a large amount of SW WEG rpg books he said they were invaluable as a resource to help frame his novels. If that ain't Kudos i don't know what is.

SWAJ9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have all of my old WEG books, but not these two particular volumes.  

I remember the first book in the series I bought was Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley.  I had no idea what an RPG was like and I soon realized while reading the book that I would need a core rulebook to actually use the GG but I didn't care.  It was so cool.  I was trying to figure out what all the strange stats meant for game play and was eager to jump into it.  Once I finally got my hands on the 2nd Edition Revised and Expanded, it led to years of thrilling Star Wars enjoyment that lasted until the Prequels came out and made us question our faith.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, n107 said:

I still have all of my old WEG books, but not these two particular volumes.  

I remember the first book in the series I bought was Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley.  I had no idea what an RPG was like and I soon realized while reading the book that I would need a core rulebook to actually use the GG but I didn't care.  It was so cool.  I was trying to figure out what all the strange stats meant for game play and was eager to jump into it.  Once I finally got my hands on the 2nd Edition Revised and Expanded, it led to years of thrilling Star Wars enjoyment that lasted until the Prequels came out and made us question our faith.  

Tatooine was a good GG. one of the few to get a 2nd ed treatment. GG 1,3,5,7 if my memory serves me. What annoyed me was just as WEG went belly up they were developing the xwing sourcebook. The xwing novels were fine additions to the EU from those pages of course Coran Horn. I was lucky enough to get into SW WEG close to day one but it took a while before I got into a group. The 2nd ed sourcebook was fantastic all polished and glossy lol

latest?cb=20050917053916.cf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Freeptop said:

Why do it? It's pretty much easy money, that's why. There's very little effort needed to develop this - it's primarily just a re-print, so there's some re-mastering for new printing techniques, but the writing is done, and there's no need to playtest something that's been out for 30 years. There's also a sizeable, very vocal market for this (notice all of us coming out of the woodwork, excited about it). Once they were able to acquire the rights to print this, then doing this is as near to a sure thing as you're going to get in the RPG industry.

This is a case where FFG's desire for money and my desire for nostalgia intersect perfectly. Win-win, all-around, really!

 

I certainly would agree but I just don't understand why go to another game when they already have another game system out there for SW......me personally, I think it is great, as I still hold WEG as the Standard for SW RPG but it seems like taking this on might dilute their offerings of EOE, FD, Rebellion, etc.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Currahee Chris said:

I certainly would agree but I just don't understand why go to another game when they already have another game system out there for SW......me personally, I think it is great, as I still hold WEG as the Standard for SW RPG but it seems like taking this on might dilute their offerings of EOE, FD, Rebellion, etc.....

Companies don't tend to pass up easy money. Gaming companies in particular generally can't afford to give up easy money...

This is likely a one-off, so there's really not much threat of dilution. It's squarely targeted at folks who have fond memories of the WEG game, so it allows them to make some bucks off us, and if things really go well? We get back into playing a Star Wars RPG, and want to try new stuff... at which point, the only option for new stuff is FFG's main system.

Worst-case scenario for FFG? Everyone loves the old WEG game so much more than FFG's system, they stop playing/buying the newer stuff. Then FFG starts re-printing all the old stuff, and starts developing new books for the WEG system. This scenario gets filed under "extremely unlikely, but still would work out for FFG in the long-run."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Freeptop said:

Companies don't tend to pass up easy money. Gaming companies in particular generally can't afford to give up easy money...

This is likely a one-off, so there's really not much threat of dilution. It's squarely targeted at folks who have fond memories of the WEG game, so it allows them to make some bucks off us, and if things really go well? We get back into playing a Star Wars RPG, and want to try new stuff... at which point, the only option for new stuff is FFG's main system.

Worst-case scenario for FFG? Everyone loves the old WEG game so much more than FFG's system, they stop playing/buying the newer stuff. Then FFG starts re-printing all the old stuff, and starts developing new books for the WEG system. This scenario gets filed under "extremely unlikely, but still would work out for FFG in the long-run."

If only it was that simple that FFG world pull up their tent pole rpg and delve into the WEG archive. Is it possible a year ago I world have said no but look at the star wars books they have. They have nearly maxed out on companions for classes so what's left the sporadic adventure and source book. WEG was prolific in mining the star wars universe far more aptly than FFG. They won't even touch movie or novels to make sourcebook for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the full color 3rd edition book and a ton of other d6 WEG books.  I think the reason they're releasing this is to test the waters to see if releasing further d6 stuff is worth while, as rpg companies like Modiphius are kicking FFG's *** right now.  I have a ton of FFG SW books and can't get a soul to play it, everyone says the system sucks and its just WH3 light but if I ask lets play d6 SW there all in.

Edited by flyingcircus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, flyingcircus said:

I have the full color 3rd edition book and a ton of other d6 WEG books.  I think the reason they're releasing this is to test the waters to see if releasing further d6 stuff is worth while, as rpg companies like Modiphius are kicking FFG's *** right now.  I have a ton of FFG SW books and can't get a soul to play it, everyone says the system sucks and its just WH3 light but if I ask lets play d6 SW there all in.

You so so right friend I tried the EoE on a group and they hated it but when I drop aD6 game in they want more....hmmm maybe their is a contributing factor their lol. The Last WEG star wars edition was the 2nd edition revised and expanded and it just nailed it. Actually it was funny I got a player who is a rules jockey he yums that stuff up. We had a bone of contention about the combat system in the FFG version. I think it was about moving and actions and it was just one sentence of text not even include in the main body of the combat section for movement that I had to search the rules up and down for. The lack of what I call good parenting rules as far as layout is something I abhor about the FFG star wars yet I can mine their source information all day long.It just makes a perfect marriage imo to take a system that works and lend their creative writing to fleshing out the galaxy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange that they are also developing a generic version if this system is so unpopular? I think you will have several voice their opinion that this is their current, favorite RPG system trumping all others. *raises hand*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sturn said:

Strange that they are also developing a generic version if this system is so unpopular? I think you will have several voice their opinion that this is their current, favorite RPG system trumping all others. *raises hand*

I will agree with you that mine or yours isn't a universal consensus. That their are fans for both. As I stated I do not have a single complaint about their campaign material as a source just their mechanics. It would be fun idea that for a few extra pages in the FFG books that they could include rules conversion for both heh. Win win as far as I'm concerned. pipe dream or not it's a fun idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2017 at 5:33 PM, splad said:

If only it was that simple that FFG world pull up their tent pole rpg and delve into the WEG archive. Is it possible a year ago I world have said no but look at the star wars books they have. They have nearly maxed out on companions for classes so what's left the sporadic adventure and source book. WEG was prolific in mining the star wars universe far more aptly than FFG. They won't even touch movie or novels to make sourcebook for.

As I said, I felt that was extremely unlikely. Most likely scenario is that this is a one-off to parlay the 30th anniversary into easy short-term money. Not much risk of dilution there.

The rest of it was just a flight of fancy on my part, where I went with the assumption that this one-off somehow did affect the sales of FFGs main Star Wars RPG :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Freeptop said:

As I said, I felt that was extremely unlikely. Most likely scenario is that this is a one-off to parlay the 30th anniversary into easy short-term money. Not much risk of dilution there.

The rest of it was just a flight of fancy on my part, where I went with the assumption that this one-off somehow did affect the sales of FFGs main Star Wars RPG :)

Hey I'm living the dream. I am a realist but was trying to impart to FFG that their is an untapped market for the large star wars d6 community. Yes it is a dream but one that has grounds in a realistic opportunity for FFG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bojanglez said:

me! i have a crazy amount of my WEG books still taking up shelf space (alongside FFG's). The panorama makes it look wonky. I don't actually live inside a reality distortion field.

IMG_2157.jpg

Beautiful:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a foot or two of WEG material - essentially all 1st Ed modified by the companion etc. I did pick up a revised 2nd ed rulebook and dragged a few ideas over to 1st ed. Ran a short campaign most recently about 2 years ago. Have done several over time. One of my favourite systems and works well with the genre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GandofGand said:

I have pretty much all of the WEG D6 Books, used to have most of the Journals but lost them in one of many moves. 

I still use them Tales of the Jedi for Source Material...8) 

I wish WEG had been around long enough to do an Old Republic Game even if it is (legends) plenty of people loved that part of the old EU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The FFG SW sytem just needs a better combat anf force power explanation system in the books, most is very vague at best and mabe an option to play without all the narration dice just some way to play it as a straight up rpg like the old d6 stuff and it would probably gain more followers and people that would play, at least I could get a group to play then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...