Jedi Ronin

FFG announces new Star Wars RPG Edition

46 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, OddballE8 said:

Umm... collectors and nostalgics?
With a pinch of those who still play it and want a new print because their old one is falling to pieces.

Pretty much.

It's a niche project, something that FFG probably isn't expecting to make any sort of financial killing on, while at the same time honoring the game that played a significant role in reviving Star Wars as a franchise and laid the groundwork for Star Wars RPGs to come.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's a limited print run and that once they've run out, that's all she wrote.

And yeah, in spite of being "out of print" or a "dead system" for nearly two decades (last published supplement was in 1998), the d6 system still has a very active and supportive fanbase, albeit one that can get rather nasty at times towards other Star Wars RPG systems; WotC got a lot of that vitrol for the perceived crime of "stealing" the license from WEG despite the fault being entirely that of WEG's management team and their bad investment decisions leading to bankruptcy and thus forfeiting the license, which WotC quickly worked to snap up much as FFG and a bunch of other publishers did when WotC opted to not renew the license.

If this one-shot product helps bring some of the d6 holdouts over to FFG's in-house actively supported system, then so much the better for FFG.  But if not, so be it.  So long as FFG doesn't wind up with several pallets of these taking up space in their warehouse, it's all good for them.

Daeglan likes this

I don't see myself picking this up, but it seems like a neat item.  I played the 2e waaaaaaaaaay back in the day, and it's a really solid system.  I'm sure this limited run will find a good home with the old fans from the day, and new fans who want a piece of the history.

Posted (edited)

While I don't expect much to come from the reprint as a keep sake I can only hope. The D6 died at the height of its popularity. Bill tried to revitalised it with working on the D20 system for wizards but that was just a folly filled endeavour. WEG had allot to answer for in their bad business ventures I think it was a shoe business of all things that made them go chapter 11. But if FFG can revitalise the system and share the campaigns across two systems then I'm all for it. Do I see it happening sadly no. Game makers are usually pretty jealous people when it comes to "their" system few have been transferred to other companies unscathed. Yea their is a huge player base loyal to D6 system and should it excites the imagination to what could be FFG won't win any hold overs to their system with this tactic and I'm sure they are well aware of that and this is purely a nostalgia piece given weight that it is 1st edition not 2nd ed r&e. Oh well...

Edited by splad

It's a nice nod to WEG, they truly did do a lot to keep the SW franchise going and definitely inspired the FFG version. I'm not going to pick it up (like others I believe the 2nd Revised Ed was much better) but I'm glad they've done it.

splad likes this

If this is simply a reprint of the 1st Edition I may be out. Like most people here, I agree that 2nd Edition R&E is the superior product and if I were to run a game it would have to be with that rule set. 

Maybe it's the 1st Ed. cover with 2nd Ed. R&E rules?

From what I've been reading, of the people who played the WEG version, no one is looking for a reprint of 1st Edition rules.

So if no one familiar with the old game will look at it, and it contains a version of the rules people who are familiar with the game don't want, who is this for? 

SEApocalypse likes this

17 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

It's meant for collecting, not for playing (although you could play with it, that's not the real goal).

If the posts here and on other forums I've read are to be believed, it doesn't seem anyone is interested in it.  I hope that's not the case.

But my experience suggests potential buyers want it to be a ruleset they might actually use, rather than just something to take up space on a shelf.

I am curious how well the D&D 1 Ed. reprint sold.  It did the same thing this one is.  Did D&D players who only knew 3rd and 4th Ed. buy it?  Do most people who own it use it or does it just sit on their shelf?

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:58 AM, Desslok said:

Also - I'm curious how the rights to this wound up at FFG? Sure the setting and characters and whatnot is the property of LFL, and you cant copyright a game engine, but the text and layout and have to wound up with whoever bought up all the rights at the Bucci Retail Group fire-sale. Going by Wikipedia, it looks like the WEG properties bounced around for a while, Yeti to Eric Gibson to Purgatory Publishing to Nocturnal Media. Sure the Star Wars name and rights weren't included in those properties, but the actual text of the books, the art and the layout must have gone somewhere?

Did the whole thing, text and art, wind up with LFL? Did someone at FFG pick up the rights on Ebay?

I think d6 is pretty much  open source now.  There's multiple systems that utilize d6 or a variant.  Here's the main open d6 page I think.  http://opend6.wikidot.com/.  Mini 6 is a (relatively) popular variant that streamlines d6 even further.  http://www.antipaladingames.com/p/mini-six.html.

1 hour ago, Split Light said:

I think d6 is pretty much  open source now.  There's multiple systems that utilize d6 or a variant.  Here's the main open d6 page I think.  http://opend6.wikidot.com/.  Mini 6 is a (relatively) popular variant that streamlines d6 even further.  http://www.antipaladingames.com/p/mini-six.html.

Probably has more to do with LFL OWNING the property and all products published under their licensing agreements.  While LFL doesn't "own" the D6 system they do own all books published under that license, so in theory they could republish whatever they want.  The reality is this is a one and done product tying in with the 30th anniversary of the original RPG and the 40th anniversary of ANH.  I found it interesting that Pablo Hidalgo, a long time LFL employee and one the members of LFL Star Wars Story Group did the Gen Con presentation of the release.  In the 90s Hidalgo wrote a few pieces for WEG, and I suspect he probably had some influence in getting the set published.

As a log time D6 Star Wars GM I appreciate the nod, but I left that system behind years ago and couldn't be happier.  It still holds some serious nostalgia for me, but FFGs Star Wars RPG is just simply a better system (or at least a better system for what I'm trying to accomplish as a GM/storyteller).

9 minutes ago, Gallandro said:

As a log time D6 Star Wars GM I appreciate the nod, but I left that system behind years ago and couldn't be happier.  It still holds some serious nostalgia for me, but FFGs Star Wars RPG is just simply a better system (or at least a better system for what I'm trying to accomplish as a GM/storyteller).

I'm in the same boat as you here.  I played d6 from the very first edition, and will always hold many fond memories of it.  FFG's Star Wars has forever replaced it though.  I don't think I could ever go back.  I do still have most of my old WEG books, and occasionally pull them out as reference material, but they've been relegated to a shelf on the basement book case.

The 2nd edition Rebel Alliance Sourcebook and the Pirates and Privateers sourcebook are my two favorite RPG sourcebooks period and Far Orbit Project is my favorite published adventure but I have little interest in a 1st edition corebook reprint.

TheShard likes this

1 hour ago, DurosSpacer said:

Nothing wrong with having multiple ways to play Star Wars.  Why would anything be wrong with that?  Just because one company will own both ways to do it doesn't mean it is wrong.  

True, and for some of us older gamers that have drank the fruit punch and run games in FFG's narrative dice system, there's still the occasional appeal to throw down some old-fashioned d6 Star Wars for the occasional one-shot.

Desslok and splad like this

2 hours ago, DurosSpacer said:

Nothing wrong with having multiple ways to play Star Wars.  Why would anything be wrong with that?  Just because one company will own both ways to do it doesn't mean it is wrong.  

A possible chance to please new current ffg fan with new material and possibly bring in the old D6 fans if they expand their production line. Wishful thinking, maybe but who knows this is the days of the revival after all.

You know what would be cool? Take some of the older WEG material and modify it, update it and release it. Take, oh say Tatooine Manhunt, Shantipole and Scavenger Hunt - tweak the text ever so slightly to conform to the all the information we now know since 1989, change the game engine components around, and bundle them together in one adventure book. That way some really good games get regenerated for a new market, there's a new stream of supplements, and more canned games is always good!

We get more stuff, FFG gets more money. Win-win all around.  

Tom Cruise likes this

Oh, sure - I know all about Kyla's awesome and hard work (and useful). I was just thinking of a super sexy volume that the people not on the forums could pick up too.

15 hours ago, Desslok said:

You know what would be cool? Take some of the older WEG material and modify it, update it and release it. Take, oh say Tatooine Manhunt, Shantipole and Scavenger Hunt - tweak the text ever so slightly to conform to the all the information we now know since 1989, change the game engine components around, and bundle them together in one adventure book. That way some really good games get regenerated for a new market, there's a new stream of supplements, and more canned games is always good!

We get more stuff, FFG gets more money. Win-win all around.  

The only problem I see with that approach is that the bulk of WEG's published adventures tended to assume one (if not both) of two things:

1) That the PCs are active members of the Rebel Alliance, or at the very least are working against the Empire.

2) That the PCs' ship is an easily replaceable resource, so having it crash and be ruined is no big deal.

The first item would put a lot of the adventures into the AoR bracket, which at least in my area doesn't have quite the popularity/pull of EotE or F&D.  Second item can be bad for a party that's decided to sink a lot of resources into their group's ship, or have worked to get a better quality ship than whatever clunker they started out with.

Granted, those are things that can be changed, but you get to a point where the writers might as well be creating original adventures as opposed to adapting previously printed ones.

splad likes this

40 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

The only problem I see with that approach is that the bulk of WEG's published adventures tended to assume one (if not both) of two things:

1) That the PCs are active members of the Rebel Alliance, or at the very least are working against the Empire.

2) That the PCs' ship is an easily replaceable resource, so having it crash and be ruined is no big deal.

The first item would put a lot of the adventures into the AoR bracket, which at least in my area doesn't have quite the popularity/pull of EotE or F&D.  Second item can be bad for a party that's decided to sink a lot of resources into their group's ship, or have worked to get a better quality ship than whatever clunker they started out with.

Granted, those are things that can be changed, but you get to a point where the writers might as well be creating original adventures as opposed to adapting previously printed ones.

Their was a little of the throw it away attitude when it came to players starships from weg but not from the players. While your claims are fairly substantiated, modification to an adventure would not be hard too do. As for the rebellion being a major plot point yes it was a very light side centric game the shade EoE throws on the star wars rpg galaxy is a cool influence. But their are ways around that. Setting up the mission as blind ops through a third party could be one way. In fact I ran starfall not long ago and with not one rebel or Jedi in it. I used a rebel droid who made then land out of hyperspace near the star destroyer to kick off the mission . The droid being the one looking for his matter Walex Blissex and I ran another weg adventure straight after called other space after the hyper drive had a mishap and that Is easily modified from rebel centric. So their is allot of weg adventures that can easily be mined and fitted for EoE