Jedi Ronin

FFG announces new Star Wars RPG Edition

I had to check and make sure it wasn't April 1.  Not sure what they are doing with this release ...

I can't believe they are going to abandon the narrative dice in favor of d6.  And I don't think this would be a big seller.

It seems it's just a remake of one of the older games, 30 years of Star Wars roleplaying.  "The Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition is being made available as a collectible piece of Star Wars history, intended to stand alone."

But, I don't know why they keep announcing RPG's when none of them can get out of development (except Ghosts which is lost at sea apparently).

Edited by Imperial Stormtrooper

Yeah, from the article it sounds like they are just reprinting. Basically no work (I assume) on their end to make money. Little bit of risk to cannibalize the current product, but in the end they are different enough that I don't see a big issue. 

Boo!   

This old, overated, and decidedly inferior ruleset will probably sell quite well.  But you know the saying about a fool and his money..

If I had the ability, I would gather up every copy of the old rpg and fling it into the sun.  I am so sick of hearing about it.

But as a money maker, good on FFG.  

57 minutes ago, Jedi Ronin said:

I know it's a reprint or WEG - I'm just joking around.

I plan on picking this up though.

I still have my originals.  Don't see a point in picking up the collector's edition, unless they have some conversions in it.  But it sounds like a straight reprint, with downgraded graphics (Black & white) and a changed intro.  

Well, that's. . . .  weird.

I love the game to death and all, it's a great engine - but I already have the orginal versions on my shelf, and the space on my shelf is VERY precious to me. Cant see me picking this up.

*note to self, check back in after Q4 after buying this. . . .*

Also - I'm curious how the rights to this wound up at FFG? Sure the setting and characters and whatnot is the property of LFL, and you cant copyright a game engine, but the text and layout and have to wound up with whoever bought up all the rights at the Bucci Retail Group fire-sale. Going by Wikipedia, it looks like the WEG properties bounced around for a while, Yeti to Eric Gibson to Purgatory Publishing to Nocturnal Media. Sure the Star Wars name and rights weren't included in those properties, but the actual text of the books, the art and the layout must have gone somewhere?

Did the whole thing, text and art, wind up with LFL? Did someone at FFG pick up the rights on Ebay?

10 minutes ago, Desslok said:

Also - I'm curious how the rights to this wound up at FFG? Sure the setting and characters and whatnot is the property of LFL, and you cant copyright a game engine, but the text and layout and have to wound up with whoever bought up all the rights at the Bucci Retail Group fire-sale. Going by Wikipedia, it looks like the WEG properties bounced around for a while, Yeti to Eric Gibson to Purgatory Publishing to Nocturnal Media. Sure the Star Wars name and rights weren't included in those properties, but the actual text of the books, the art and the layout must have gone somewhere?

Did the whole thing, text and art, wind up with LFL? Did someone at FFG pick up the rights on Ebay?

I'd wager LFL.

I really like WEG's version, although I prefer the later 2eR&E, but I have no interest in purchasing this. I already own everything I need for playing with D6, and it's all freely available online too. Of course, this is meant more as a collector's piece than anything, and I don't buy games just as collector's pieces, so I'm obviously not an intended customer anyways.

Yeah, it's a surprise move from FFG, not sure who the audience is really.  I loved the D6 version, the sourcebook expanded the Star Wars universe far beyond what was in the movies and was so immersive that I spun lots of adventures off it.  Back in 1987, at the age of 13, I picked up both books for £10 each.  Will I buy these? Despite everything its certainly tempting.

37 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

Hopefully this won't confuse any misinformed consumers looking to get in to FFG's Star Wars games.

the article says this at the bottom but I agree, it's pretty much guaranteed what you say will happen:

The rules and reference materials presented in the Star Wars™: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition are not compatible with Star Wars™: Age of Rebellion™, Star Wars™: Edge of the Empire™, and Star Wars™: Force and Destiny™.
     The 
Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition is being made available as a collectible piece of Star Wars history, intended to stand alone.

Edited by Bojanglez

Like all first editions, the first edition WEG Star Wars was a flawed game. The revised Second edition was much better.

What really gets me tho is that this isnt really just a reprint. They had to completely rebuild the book from the ground up, so for editing and layout this was probably alot closer to making a new book than just a normal reprint. That effort would have been much better spent improving their own game instead of trying a money grab on alot of people who still have the game they loved 30 years ago. 

I will pass on this one. Second edition revised I might go for, but not a redone first edition that will only take up shelf space

If I can buy this from FLGS, I may buy it, but if I'd have to order it from FFG store, I won't. Price of $110.57 (*) (or maybe even higher (taxes and customs)) is a bit too steep from two books.

(*) book $59.95 and shipping 50.62... :( Because of shipping costs, I probably will never buy anything directly from FFG.