Blackbird888

Sam Stewart Interview on Genesys

12 posts in this topic

I continue to be intrigued.  They didn't reveal a ton of information, but the interview gives some direction for speculation.  This should keep me distracted until we start hearing some reports from GenCon.

Richardbuxton and DarthDude like this

Points that interest me:

• Sam confirmed the fixes to defense.
  • It looks like motivations may be expanded upon and supplant the obligation/duty/morality mechanics.
  • "We also took the time to simplify and streamline a lot of rules so that they would work better across multiple settings." What this means, we can only speculate. I imagine things like vehicle rules (which are pretty Star Wars specific as-is) will be getting simplified. I'll call out attachments and modifications being another set of rules that might get the simplified.
  • Archetypes work the same as species do confirmed.
  • "You see, part of the book is devoted to teaching GMs how to build their own settings. These include guidelines for building your own adversaries, talents, skills, archetypes, items, and careers. It also includes a bunch of alternate rulesets that aren’t integral to the core game, but could be used in multiple different settings. So you can pick up these rulesets and add them to your game with minimal effort." Also includes "guidelines for GMs who want to design their own skills, careers, talents, items, species"; which is great.

27 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:
  • "You see, part of the book is devoted to teaching GMs how to build their own settings. These include guidelines for building your own adversaries, talents, skills, archetypes, items, and careers. It also includes a bunch of alternate rulesets that aren’t integral to the core game, but could be used in multiple different settings. So you can pick up these rulesets and add them to your game with minimal effort." Also includes "guidelines for GMs who want to design their own skills, careers, talents, items, species"; which is great.

It's this last point that is most interesting to me. I wonder how in depth these guidelines will be. There's a sliding scale between "systematic methodology with loose point buy balancing" to "meandering suggestions". Technically DnD 5e DMG had a section on making your own things, like custom races, but only offered a half explained methodology that gave an idea but no real way to execute it. There was a muddled build for "making" an aasimar race template, but no guidelines on how to go free form. Lo and behold a proper aasimar template appeared in Volo's Guide to Monsters. Although with DnD the developers have a vested interest in leaving players in the dark (to prevent Pathfinder 2.0 and to incentive buying official source books or participating in the Unearthed Arcana releases).  Meanwhile, there's plenty of systematic and semi-balanced point buy race builders available on the internet for 5e that are pretty fun.

The point to this ramble is that I hope FFG gives the "custom content creation" section some real meat and potatoes methodology. A collection of vague ponderings, platitudes, and pointers won't help developers make actually useful and balanced modules. But a robust guide will help GMs get exactly what they need out of the system and will really foster a healthy GM community.

The best option would be an add on splatbook that lists developer notes and super in depth content creation, a tool box for a tool box so to say. This would keep the core audience (GMs and players who want to use pre-made setting books and stick pretty close to vanilla) from getting lost, while also giving the developer hobbyists and game designers an addendum to make excellent content.

DarthDude and Souppilgrim like this

52 minutes ago, dresdinseven said:

It's this last point that is most interesting to me. I wonder how in depth these guidelines will be. There's a sliding scale between "systematic methodology with loose point buy balancing" to "meandering suggestions". Technically DnD 5e DMG had a section on making your own things, like custom races, but only offered a half explained methodology that gave an idea but no real way to execute it. There was a muddled build for "making" an aasimar race template, but no guidelines on how to go free form. Lo and behold a proper aasimar template appeared in Volo's Guide to Monsters. Although with DnD the developers have a vested interest in leaving players in the dark (to prevent Pathfinder 2.0 and to incentive buying official source books or participating in the Unearthed Arcana releases).  Meanwhile, there's plenty of systematic and semi-balanced point buy race builders available on the internet for 5e that are pretty fun.

The point to this ramble is that I hope FFG gives the "custom content creation" section some real meat and potatoes methodology. A collection of vague ponderings, platitudes, and pointers won't help developers make actually useful and balanced modules. But a robust guide will help GMs get exactly what they need out of the system and will really foster a healthy GM community.

The best option would be an add on splatbook that lists developer notes and super in depth content creation, a tool box for a tool box so to say. This would keep the core audience (GMs and players who want to use pre-made setting books and stick pretty close to vanilla) from getting lost, while also giving the developer hobbyists and game designers an addendum to make excellent content.

This is exactly what I hope for as well. I want to take the book and be able to create the details of the setting in my mind (Mass Effect^^) literally on the fly (okay, let's say a minimum of effort) . If Genesys manages this, they win me over.

copperbell likes this

I'd like a steam punk technology guide or at least a character and game setting creation example to make the system clearer.

Maybe this weekend we'll have more answers?

DarthDude likes this

I would love to get a hold of the new defense rules to apply to Star Wars, the game that actually needs that fix that we've all been waiting for.

Help me Sam Stewart, you're my only hope.

Timerron and DarthDude like this

11 hours ago, Timerron said:

It mentioned careers but not specializations. Makes me wonder if the relationship between the two things have changed. 

Very interesting point there, Unfortunately I can't see the Gencon characters answering this conundrum either.

Lets hope the Erata/FAQ that Sam teased on the recent Order 66 podcast gets a lot of these simplification or clarification ideas put into it.

Timerron and DarthDude like this

• Defense has been revamped so that it is a lot simpler to understand and implement in the game.
  • Motivations are another thing we’ve expanded on. The new system has a lot of depth to it, and some additional choices for the players. We think it does a lot to define characters, and interacts with the game mechanically in some interesting ways.

Good points.

• These include guidelines for building your own adversaries, talents, skills, archetypes, items, and careers. It also includes a bunch of alternate rulesets that aren’t integral to the core game, but could be used in multiple different settings.

I'm curious about this.

• When you read the book, we want it to seem like you’re having a conversation with us about the game, instead of reading a textbook.

I'm very curious about this.

• It also includes a bunch of alternate rulesets that aren’t integral to the core game, but could be used in multiple different settings. So you can pick up these rulesets and add them to your game with minimal effort.

I'm very very curious about this.