Sign in to follow this  
Hawkman2000

Tournament Prizes?

So, random thought. Who would think it cool if FFG gave out alternate color minis as prizes? 

Like maybe ones from the command units? They could be solid colored plastic, maybe blue for Daqan or whatnot. It wouldn't be terribly pricey for FFG because they're running off minis in production anyway, they would just use a different die in the plastic instead of grey. But it would be something more than cardboard or plastic tokens. 

Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, Hawkman2000 said:

So, random thought. Who would think it cool if FFG gave out alternate color minis as prizes? 

Like maybe ones from the command units? They could be solid colored plastic, maybe blue for Daqan or whatnot. It wouldn't be terribly pricey for FFG because they're running off minis in production anyway, they would just use a different die in the plastic instead of grey. But it would be something more than cardboard or plastic tokens. 

Thoughts? 

They are probably going with acrylic tokens and such along with alt art cards and occasional different Dice. 

1 hour ago, Darthain said:

In a game where the majority will be painting their army, what is the value in a different colour of plastic?

When I used to play more tabletop wargames, I could go to an event and maybe see 10% of people's stuff painted. And that was with Warhammer/40k with players who had been in the game for years - some with no painted material whatsoever. Absolutely, painting is part of the hobby, but not a necessity. 

In a sea of grey minis, another color plastic would really stand out and at the very lest might be more collectible than just full art cards. The same could be said FFG's use of alt dice as prizes in other games - it's not necessary, but something different in the board to talk about. 

1 hour ago, Hawkman2000 said:

When I used to play more tabletop wargames, I could go to an event and maybe see 10% of people's stuff painted. And that was with Warhammer/40k with players who had been in the game for years - some with no painted material whatsoever. Absolutely, painting is part of the hobby, but not a necessity. 

In a sea of grey minis, another color plastic would really stand out and at the very lest might be more collectible than just full art cards. The same could be said FFG's use of alt dice as prizes in other games - it's not necessary, but something different in the board to talk about. 

Again. Spray prime a bunch of models one color is just as easy. Alternate sculpts would be much nicer.

Alternate sculpts would be the best prize, however, I'd feel jealous knowing I'd never be able to get one. So I say they stick with alternative art and plastic tokens as, like others have said, you can quickly spray paint the Daqan blue instead of grey if that's all you want.

I like what FFG does with their prive kits currently...Alt sculps would be cool but they would also not really be something I would probably get my hands on lol unless i bought them on ebay.  Special tournament terrain might be cool, but typically I like store prize support over official prize support...

12 hours ago, player2669310 said:

I was given this promo card, but I can't seem to find any information about it. Can anyone shed any light? Thanks in advance!

IMG_20170904_175946750 - Copy.jpg

Is it paper stock or is that plastic? From the last prize kit we had at FFGC, the alt art cards had a darker blue background. Looks cool!

46 minutes ago, tgall said:

Is it paper stock or is that plastic? From the last prize kit we had at FFGC, the alt art cards had a darker blue background. Looks cool!

It's definitely paper stock. The badge-looking logo in the lower left corner matches what was on some L5R promos from GenCon, so I wonder if it was specific to events there?

1 hour ago, player2669310 said:

It's definitely paper stock. The badge-looking logo in the lower left corner matches what was on some L5R promos from GenCon, so I wonder if it was specific to events there?

I think that is one of the general promo cards from the Gencon tournament, I remember seeing it somewhere in regards to that.  I think the acrylic cards were only for the top x places...

4 hours ago, Contrapulator said:

Anyone have pictures of the acrylic cards? Are they translucent?

Edit: paging @Duke2000

Sorry friend, they didn't give out the acrylic cards in the NA championship.  I think they were prizes in the skirmish and team events, but I don't know for sure.