awp832

Bury them Deep

18 posts in this topic

Preview article of Carcosa is up, featuring William Yorrick, the gravedigger!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/15/bury-them-deep/

I like him a lot!   He is sort of the Survivor class taking part in the guardian role, using scrappy weapons to get by.   The baseball bat seems like an auto-include here,  the main weakness of the weapon being somewhat mitigated by Yorrick's special ability.    Gravedigger's shovel also seems like a fairly good weapon, I like that you can get rid of it for a useful effect if you have another weapon in hand (or discard pile) that you are looking to play.  

His signature card Bury them Deep is fantastic,  I'll never say no to +1 xp, and there have been plenty of times I've defeated an enemy and thought to myself...  "boy, I wish that card had Victory points so I wouldn't have to ever see him again this game".  All at the low low price of free.  

Graveyard Ghouls could be a pain early on, but all things considered it isn't that bad of a weakness.

His guardian cards are going to help him out.   I love the idea of Brother Xavier, and Vicious Blow-2 to help him deal some extra damage.  And I'm definitely looking forward to some Guard Dog recursion!

Totally agree!  He looks awesome to play!  I'm already planning my deck for him, haha.  I love that he has access to Survivor and Guardian cards.  Curious what his full deckbuilding requirements are.

it's listed in the preview article Adira, or at least it is if you click through the images.  Fairly standard 30 cards, 0-5 Survivor, 0-5 Neutral, 0-2 Guardian.  

I'm thinking about the Lantern a little.   Do we like this over the flashlight?  It's quite handy for 1 shroud locations,  or if you are planning to investigate a LOT.   Otherwise I think the flashlight seems superior.   Maybe Rex likes this....  but Rex has so many other ways to increase his Lore he probably doesn't want to spend an out-of-faction card on this.    1 automatic damage when you need it though is very nice.   It might be worth it to run just for that.

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, awp832 said:

it's listed in the preview article Adira, or at least it is if you click through the images.  Fairly standard 30 cards, 0-5 Survivor, 0-5 Neutral, 0-2 Guardian.  

I'm thinking about the Lantern a little.   Do we like this over the flashlight?  It's quite handy for 1 shroud locations,  or if you are planning to investigate a LOT.   Otherwise I think the flashlight seems superior.   Maybe Rex likes this....  but Rex has so many other ways to increase his Lore he probably doesn't want to spend an out-of-faction card on this.    1 automatic damage when you need it though is very nice.   It might be worth it to run just for that.

I want to arm him with a pistol, shovel and lantern (bandolier obviously).  Allows him to use the lantern or shovel for fighting or gaining clues and can use the other (or gun) to get those discarded items back after killing something.  Just gives you lots of options for dealing with whatever.

Edited by Slothgodfather

Been using Yorick for a while, and he's a lot of fun.  Tends to get resource-constrained very quickly, and I think ends up playing far more as a Guardian than Survivor (at least as I run him) but his recursion is almost silly.

Yorick certainly is interesting, but he will suffer the same way all guardians do, no $$, especially with recursion, sure you can discard your expensive cards for skill pips, however when you want to play them from your discard you still have to pay for them.  This is progressively difficult since guardian cards are expensive, and survivor cards require resources on hand to use when the situation arises (lucky, look what I found).  I certainly plan to try him and see but since guardian and survivor have no resource generation (short of emer cache), using his recursion will be difficult I think, it will certainly be an interesting deck to create

I agree, to a certain extent.    I think Yorrick might favor cheaper Survivor weapons like Baseball bat over the more expensive Guardian weapons.   The humble Knife is particularly good for Yorrick because he can use it's discard ability to do +2 attack, +1 damage and if he kills something with it he can pay 1 resource to immediately get it back.   Knife might be one of his best weapons to be honest.

Getting cards from your discard pile has an extra benefit as well in many scenarios that mill cards from your deck.  You'll have easy access to any asset in your discard pile, so it's hard for the encounter deck to deny Yorrick cards that are important for his build.  

Jobu likes this

I think you need to go with cheap cost cards with him (more Survivor than Guardian).  Beat Cop looks cool at first, but when you need to pay 4 to recurse it every time, its less so.  He needs to be a monster killer, but Guardian needs to prop up Survivor more than take center stage.

His deck also needs to favor Assets over Events which you need to keep in mind while building him.   You will be spending a lot of resources on Assets coming into play and won't have the resources handy. 

And since its been semi spoiled, anyone noticed Guardians got a new level 0 Firearm - .32 colt?  That has major deck building implications for the Guardian class going forward, it shifts your deck building options in a major way (Roland can start with 5 guns and get extra ammo early).  Combine that with Mystics now ability to generate resources and that's at least two classes that have changed in a big way.

I also find infinite Lantern throwing kind of funny.

This guy is the one investigator that can pull off the Taunt Lv2/Survival Instinct Lv2 combo with ease.

I'm looking at the neutrals from Dunwich and I happened upon *The Red-Gloved Man.  I feel there may be errata on this card quickly, with respect to Yorrick - changing "discard" to "remove from game" (I forget how that's specifically worded).  With 1+ Bury Them Deep, you could conceivably get this card before you leave the deluxe box.

59946c472457a_023101.jpg.4dbbfb61c4406a201e5b56654dee0e26.jpg

In response to my own comment, I remind myself that Yorrick's ability is only triggered on his turn, therefore you only have a max of 2 standard actions after putting him into play.  You also must trigger Yorrick's ability without *The Red-Gloved Man.  Perhaps you spoke to soon, me.

However, given the situation, you could kill an easy beasty at the start of your turn and explore your location twice with a base of 6.  2 actions also allow you to move and then deal with Obscuring Fog, Locked Door, or Arcane Barrier (the latter is actually dealt with simply by moving).

In response to that, I point out that *The Red-Gloved Man is fast and can be used to deal with everything just listed.

Ah, says me, but those things are a 1 round only miracle working.

Of course, I reply, which is why I pointed out the potential "remove from game" errata.  This allows him to be used as intended and not spammed multiple times per game, which there will be certain games where he will be spammed with the introduction of better recursion.

Thoughts?  (Other than our own, I mean.)

2 hours ago, C2K said:

This guy is the one investigator that can pull off the Taunt Lv2/Survival Instinct Lv2 combo with ease.

Yeah, see also the Taunt + Aquinnah III combination :D:D 

2 hours ago, C2K said:

I like that idea!  That feels right for Yorrick, and as both are events, they can't be recursioned (i.e. not exploitable).

Hey @Duciris, I think it's intentional that the Red-Gloved Man doesn't get removed from the game. I've been happily running Red-Gloved Man and A Chance Encounter in a Wendy Adams deck, and recurring the Chance Encounters with her amulet to see the RGM repeatedly - and it's wonderful! He's my guardian angel! Yorick could also use A Chance Encounter and keep fishing him back for more bonuses. That gives me an idea....

Soakman likes this

Posted (edited)

@zooeyglass, I hadn't thought about that.  I play Ashcan in our run through Dunwich.  I might consider using that in future.  I know I won't have the recursion, but a couple more times of TRG would be worth it.

Edited by Duciris

1 hour ago, zooeyglass said:

Hey @Duciris, I think it's intentional that the Red-Gloved Man doesn't get removed from the game. I've been happily running Red-Gloved Man and A Chance Encounter in a Wendy Adams deck, and recurring the Chance Encounters with her amulet to see the RGM repeatedly - and it's wonderful! He's my guardian angel! Yorick could also use A Chance Encounter and keep fishing him back for more bonuses. That gives me an idea....

What a great strategy for Wendy! 

zooeyglass likes this

Yeah, Red-Gloved Man is good for Yorick, but certainly not a problem. Yorick doesn't have easy access to additional actions, and the fact that you have to kill an enemy to proc his ability means you have two actions left to take advantage of him, for 2 resources and tying up your ally slot. Hardly game-breaking.

Thanks @Soakman! Yeah, super fun. 

@Duciris just remember with Ashcan that the Red Gloved Man and Duke don't synergise together particularly well: when RGM comes into play, you can set your combat or intellect to six, but if you then want to attack with Duke or investigate with Duke, he sets your combat/intellect respectively *back* to four.... Obviously you don't always have to use Duke to do those actions, but it's less of a boon than Wendy going to 6 in any stat.