Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tsuruki

Curing trauma?

17 posts in this topic

So, after a core set campaign my Roland deck is sitting pretty at 4 mental Trauma, is there any way to reverse this? 

Trauma can be cured like any regular damage or sanity during a scenario. However, you will always start each successive scenario in a campaign with the trauma.

Yeah I've been patching the hole with all the anti-horror I can, elder sign amulets and a wall of allies and smoking pipes, I wish there was a "permament" that increases your HP maxes or cures a point of trauma for 2-3 xp points or so.

1 hour ago, tsuruki said:

Yeah I've been patching the hole with all the anti-horror I can, elder sign amulets and a wall of allies and smoking pipes, I wish there was a "permament" that increases your HP maxes or cures a point of trauma for 2-3 xp points or so.

I suspect there will be at some point, but nothing for now.

Therapy: Permanent, Exceptional, Level 1.  You may only select this upgrade if you have at least one mental trauma.  Gain +1 Sanity.

That'd fit the bill nicely, I think.

Welp! I came under repeated horror barrage in the Curse of the Rougarou just now. Encounter revelations and constant tickers galoore! Time to retire this battered investigator.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:56 AM, tsuruki said:

So, after a core set campaign my Roland deck is sitting pretty at 4 mental Trauma, is there any way to reverse this? 

Nope. I suspect the additional trauma imposed by campaign resolutions is in part to put a damper on the variant of continuing with your investigator in a new campaign.

On 8/15/2017 at 11:56 AM, tsuruki said:

If the campaign is complete start a new investigator or build a new Roland deck. The game is designed for a fresh investigator deck when starting a new scenario.

On 8/15/2017 at 0:00 PM, Network57 said:

Trauma can be cured like any regular damage or sanity during a scenario. However, you will always start each successive scenario in a campaign with the trauma.

That's not curing it. Trauma is different from damage and horror.

Posted (edited)

42 minutes ago, Meretrix said:

You're right that you can't cure Trauma, but I think @Network57 means curing the damage/horror that gets auto-inflicted on you at the start of the scenario as a result.

For example, I played Lost in Time and Space with my Zoey deck who had gone through the whole campaign, and earned herself 3 mental trauma. I can't do anything about that, but I can (and did) put 2x Moment of Respite in, to heal the 3 horror I get dealt at the beginning of the game. Doesn't stop it coming back again next game, but at least I can 'cure' it short term with the right cards.

Edited by General Zodd
Cited Network57

7 hours ago, Meretrix said:

If the campaign is complete start a new investigator or build a new Roland deck. The game is designed for a fresh investigator deck when starting a new scenario.

I think my explanation was rather accurate. It can be cured during a scenario, but you'll still always start each scenario with it. Please explain how that's incorrect, short of meaningless pedantry.

Jobu and General Zodd like this

Posted (edited)

Question was about curing trauma.

On 8/15/2017 at 0:00 PM, Network57 said:

Trauma can be cured like any regular damage or sanity during a scenario.

This is false. It's quite obvious damage and horror can be cured, everybody knows this and It wasn't the question.

Edited by Meretrix

2 hours ago, Meretrix said:

Question was about curing trauma.

This is false. It's quite obvious damage and horror can be cured, everybody knows this and It wasn't the question.

Not everybody knows this and it's not necessarily obvious, the distinction between trauma and the damage or horror inflicted upon you by that trauma is one of those things that catches new players out. @Network57 was answering an implicit question about how to handle trauma. @tsuruki's poor benighted Roland probably should be retired at that point, but if he wanted to persevere, the damage you start with isn't unmanageable. But sure, go ahead and be confrontational about it, rather than contribute anything more helpful to the discussion.

Ompakim likes this

50 minutes ago, General Zodd said:

go ahead and be confrontational about it, rather than contribute anything more helpful to the discussion.

Confrontational? Is that what pointing out disinformation is called now?

I wanted to point out the inaccurate answer to the op's question as to not confuse him. Specific terminology is important in these types of games.

3 minutes ago, Meretrix said:

Confrontational? Is that what pointing out disinformation is called now?

I wanted to point out the inaccurate answer to the op's question as to not confuse him. Specific terminology is important in these types of games.

You were definitely a bit confrontational.  Word choices are as important in real life as they are in card games ;)

BD Flory and General Zodd like this

Welp, the voices in Roland's head are arguing about the nature of his sorry mental condition! 

You will be happy to know that Roland proceed to the Miskatonic university, tried  to help find some missing professors and got himself poked in the brain. This investigator is now one of the exhibits in the Asylum.

I don't they will or should make a Permanant that increases Sanity or Health. 

Trauma exists to create consequences, It shouldn't be able to be removed just like Weaknesses cant.

And if they do make it, It will be at least 3 XP for a single Sanity increase.

Hannibal_pjv and Jobu like this

I think there is room for some interesting choices. Paying XP to get rid of trauma would be lame. But getting XP for taking trauma or having to take some nasty weakness or throwing a bad token into the chaos bag to heal it... I can definitely imagine something like that.

I like trauma and expect that there will not be cure for it. It is cumulative burden of life as it should be!

Ofcource you can use drugs and maybe even magic to temporary remedy the effects of trauma, but otherwise it is like the life itself. You can not run the death forever!