Mrk1984

Biggs nerf idea?

I don't know if this horse has been beaten enough or not, but I was just thinking about what type of nerf could Biggs take that doesn't fundamentally remove him from the board, which in turn makes many other ships unplayable. 

So the proposal (not sure if it has been brought up):

If you do not have more than 3 stress tokens, when another friendly ship at range one is declared the target of an attack and the attacking ship can target you, you may choose to have the opponent target you instead. If you do, receive 1 stress token.

This nerfs him in some ways but not entirely. R4-D6 is less effective(might encourage more R2 astromech), he cannot K-turn the next round, and likely no action, but it can play into your hand. Either they target Biggs, or you let them split fire. 

When another friendly ship is declared as the target of an attack, if you would obstruct the attack, the active ship must attack you instead (ignoring restrictions), If the attack does not hit, the attacker attacks the original target with the original weapon (even if he discarded the weapon).

16 minutes ago, GLEXOR said:

When another friendly ship is declared as the target of an attack, if you would obstruct the attack, the active ship must attack you instead (ignoring restrictions), If the attack does not hit, the attacker attacks the original target with the original weapon (even if he discarded the weapon).

I do like the Biggs in the line of fire, I've thought of having if Biggs is the closest enemy ship idea, but why get another attack if it misses? 

IMO: at the start of combat, you choose whether or not Biggs' ability is active this round. If it is, Biggs cannot generate evade results this round.

Not gonna bother templating it into actual X-wing text, and FFG doesn't do such dramatic errata anyway. But I think this would be a thematic rebalance, as you can't choose to block shots while dodging them.

I don't see it as blocking shots with Biggs, more like getting in the way so the other ships can't be targeted. This is what he did in the trench, he was avoiding getting shot for a little but (though vader wasn't actively shooting, just lining up the shot) But if Biggs can't evade, he's useless. 

4 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

How about him assigning his protection to one ship at a time rather than to everybody in range? At the beginning of a round, he could assign a "Biggs Token" to another ship, thus granting that ship his protection? 

I like this too, but it doesn't address Kanan Biggs 

13 minutes ago, Mrk1984 said:

I like this too, but it doesn't address Kanan Biggs 

Fair, though that hasn't really been high on my radar for a while now. 

Edit: an extreme answer to that is to make his ability work on small ships only. I think that could work gameplay wise and for fluff reasons, but might be too far. Won't fully know without testing.

Edited by SabineKey

The easiest solution is just to cut his dreadful ability from the game. He's warped the design process for Rebel ships for long enough, and luckily the ships that allegedly don't work without him actually do just fine (K-Wings, ARC-170's, Y-Wings to name the 1-AGI ones).

He's a crutch, and one that has led to some of the most unenjoyable lists in the game (the latest incarnation being "FSR2"). Bury that nonsense.

Edited by MalusCalibur

"When a friendly ship at range 1 is defending, you may suffer 2 or more uncancelled hit results."

This gives him a similar level of effectiveness as a meat shield, but with more vulnerability for the whole squad. The attack still hits the other ship, which matters for many secondary weapons and a few other card abilities. It also satisfy the thematic concept of Biggs taking it for the team. All of this with more choice for both players. Biggs wouldn't be controlling an opponent's decisions, which has always been the primary mechanical complaint about Biggs. On the Rebel side of the table, the Biggs player gains a choice in which ship takes damage. 

54 minutes ago, jmswood said:

"When a friendly ship at range 1 is defending, you may suffer 2 or more uncancelled hit results."

This gives him a similar level of effectiveness as a meat shield, but with more vulnerability for the whole squad. The attack still hits the other ship, which matters for many secondary weapons and a few other card abilities. It also satisfy the thematic concept of Biggs taking it for the team. All of this with more choice for both players. Biggs wouldn't be controlling an opponent's decisions, which has always been the primary mechanical complaint about Biggs. On the Rebel side of the table, the Biggs player gains a choice in which ship takes damage. 

A reverse Prince Xizor? I like it!

How to nerf Biggs in 5 simple steps.

1. Place Biggs pilot card on ground
  2. Place assembled Biggs model, plastic base and cardboard tile on ground on top of Biggs Pilot Card.
  3. Hold Brick or large stone over the model in a way that keeps one or both of your hands free.
  4. Light pilot card on fire with a match or lighter
  5. Put out fire with brick. Using repeated pats.

Hope this helps :P

Edited by Marinealver

I've suggested this fix before, but no-one else seems to like it:

When another friendly ship in range 1 is attacked, you may choose to intercept and suffer an amount of hits/crits equal to your evade results.

Eg Fenn Rau shoots Miranda at range 1. He gets 4 hits and a crit. Biggs can roll his 2 green dice and take up to 2 of those hits. Miranda rolls her 1 green and takes the remaining hits and crit.

This represents Biggs flying in the way of the attacker, but crucially he can't dodge any of the damage and the attacker still does the same total damage as they would have done without Biggs being there - it's just spread between 2 ships.

Biggs Nerf: This text should read.

Biggs can't be target of friendly abilities or friendly card effects, that remove or reduce damage

Simple; no drama. he's still good, but can't be beefed up to Super levels. reword as required to be within rules.

or just "Biggs can't be targeted by friendly ship(s) abilities or friendly ship(s) card effects.

would be simple enough.

Edited by the1hodgy

Just spitballing, but what if Biggs could only protect other X-wings (T-65 and T-70).  Not only does it open the design space back up and kill boring builds like FSR2 and Kanan-Biggs, but it encourages more X-wings on the table and it's the beginning (but not end) of buffing the X-wing.

You could even afford to release more damage reducing/spreading tech if you only had to worry about "X-wing only" and not "every rebel ship, ever".

Maybe something like : 

"When another friendly ship at Range 1 is defending, it can turn one blank result to an eye result." 
Still powerful, encourages to fire on Biggs instead of his pals, and even combos well with Luke.

14 hours ago, MalusCalibur said:

The easiest solution is just to cut his dreadful ability from the game. He's warped the design process for Rebel ships for long enough, and luckily the ships that allegedly don't work without him actually do just fine (K-Wings, ARC-170's, Y-Wings to name the 1-AGI ones).

He's a crutch, and one that has led to some of the most unenjoyable lists in the game (the latest incarnation being "FSR2"). Bury that nonsense.

Yeah, let's remove the X-wing from the game of its namesake. Nerfing Biggs will be the final nail in the coffin for that ship, as it is completely and utterly useless in all other forms, and has been for at least 2 years.

Edited by Boris_the_Dwarf