DarthDude

GenCon Doomsday Clock

121 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, DarthDude said:

I wonder if that "Storypoint" mechanics is absolutely identical to Destiny Points?

I think the number per session is set rather than random from a die roll, but they seem to have the same mechanical effect 

DarthDude likes this

Looking through the conversation and keeping in mind something I heard (during the in flight report?) about expending motivation to have a more mechanical effect, I'm thinking/hoping the Heroic Abilities are reward for roleplaying and awarded by the GM for strong RP/in character choices.

Sidenote: We don't know where the character got it, but in case anyone forgot Fortune Favors the Bold from Smuggler(Gambler) is identical to Ready For Adventure (except the latter requires no strain).

DarthDude likes this

Looking at the Heroic Ability box, we've got a category for Name ("Dauntless Guardian"), Origin (In the Blood), Ability (Hard to Kill), and Upgrades (Story, Duration). I imagine the name is whatever the player names it, which is why it's written with quotation marks. The ability is probably what it does, which leads me to think its based on some generic ability called Hard to Kill, and the player would then customize it to fit their preferences. Upgrades are obvious, but Origin could be many different things. I'm guessing it has to do with how the character acquired the ability (In the Blood could mean that it's a natural ability, and not taught), but what that means mechanically is anyone's guess. Is it just fluff, or do different origins change what options the player has?

Richardbuxton and DarthDude like this

Posted (edited)

Looking at the magic system, I'm not sure how OK I am with "harmless" spells like heals and buffs requiring a check for their base effect. An attack spell or a curse I can fictionally see the reason, but I don't like the idea of Cure Wounds whiffing purely based on a dice roll. At least with Force Points, "failing" was by and large your choice, based on whether you felt you could pay the strain/conflict cost.

"I use my Divine spell to attempt to heal the wizard."

"Alright, you call out to the holy powers, lay your hand on the wizard and...<dice noises>...the gods give you a busy signal, apparently."

Edited by drbraininajar

18 minutes ago, drbraininajar said:

Looking at the magic system, I'm not sure how OK I am with "harmless" spells like heals and buffs requiring a check for their base effect. An attack spell or a curse I can fictionally see the reason, but I don't like the idea of Cure Wounds whiffing purely based on a dice roll. At least with Force Points, "failing" was by and large your choice, based on whether you felt you could pay the strain/conflict cost.

"Alright, you call out to the holy powers, lay your hand on the wizard and...<dice noises>...the gods give you a busy signal, apparently."

A base amount of wounds healed plus a surplus of successes could be an idea. Though a check should be required if you are hit while casting (depening on the severity of the damage), no matter the type of spell.

1 hour ago, drbraininajar said:

Regular Medicine checks have difficulty, why not a healing spell check? I mean, you are using otherworldly powers to force a physical body to undergo rapid healing; I would think the possibility of negative side effects would be much greater than usual. In this case, healing without strings would fall under potions or whatever. And the difference here is that I don't see a limit on how many times you can use the healing spell on a character; Star Wars' Heal is treated like a stimpack, and has a limit.

1 hour ago, Blackbird888 said:

I don't see a limit on how many times you can use the healing spell on a character; Star Wars' Heal is treated like a stimpack, and has a limit.

That could be a general rule, or a campaign specific rule (e.g gritty campaign - once per day limit; four-colour campaign, no limit). Certainly in WFRP 3e the limit on healing was covered in the rule book rather than being addressed in the commentary for specific abilities. I'm not familiar enough with SW to know exactly how it is addressed there. 

ZorinIchiona likes this

Posted (edited)

Maybe its just the D&D player in me, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when a heal or buff that you paid resources for can totally whiff. Fictionally speaking, it feels right that an attack is something you can misjudge timing on, or that can be dodged or resisted. A heal or buff is something your target is willing to undergo, and in most fiction, its a big deal when the magical healer type can't fix you, not "crud did I say 4 'Hail Marys' before I cast that or 5?"

The biggest argument I have against the comparison to a Medicine check is that Medicine checks are typically your "recoup between fights" healing due to the amount of in-universe time they take, and doesn't (by default) cost you strain or other resources to attempt. In-combat healing is directly the difference between an ally being in or out of the encounter. A missed attack may give the enemy a chance to retaliate, but a failed heal is far more directly responsible for a downed ally.

Obviously this is all from the perspective of a typical high fantasy setting, where magic is more reliable and common. A setting where magical knowledge is fractured and unreliable, and where magic was more rare would make this particular aspect easier to swallow. 
I guess the takeaway is that I hope there are lots of available built-in knobs for a GM to turn when it comes to magic/powers/etc, with some detailed, useful guidelines/instructions on how to adjust it to fit your campaign, and that the magic system we see here isn't the end all be all.

Edited by drbraininajar
Richardbuxton likes this

51 minutes ago, drbraininajar said:

Obviously this is all from the perspective of a typical high fantasy setting, where magic is more reliable and common. A setting where magical knowledge is fractured and unreliable, and where magic was more rare would make this particular aspect easier to swallow. 
I guess the takeaway is that I hope there are lots of available built-in knobs for a GM to turn when it comes to magic/powers/etc, with some detailed, useful guidelines/instructions on how to adjust it to fit your campaign, and that the magic system we see here isn't the end all be all.

It's possible they will have a side bar on a page talking about different settings with different levels of difficulty of using magic. But given the broad scope of this book I would not expect every rule for every type of system. Perhaps hints or mentions of ideas but just "having a magic system" will probably be their primary focus.

On the subject of casting spells without a roll there depth to that question. If the difficulty of a basic spell is quite low then even beginner characters will essentially always succeed. What this system does though is allow you to gamble and try for much more than the basic spell.

Leoric, the wizard character, has something called a "Magic Tome" which adds upgrades to his Spells without changing the difficulty. That class of item will surely exist for Priests as well, since this particular divine PC is really a Paladin.

Another thing to consider is that in the Star Wars system there's a section in the Gm chapter that suggests sometimes a roll is simply not needed. Some activities are so mundane for a character that the only time a roll is required is when they are in the heat of battle and under time pressure. This extends to the Force Powers of that system and presumably the Spells of Genesys. It's the equivalent of "taking 10" where your assumed to simply succeed but nothing extraordinary happens, which leads to my next point.

If your rolling a large skill/characteristic pool of dice against a small difficulty you end up with lots of extraordinary results. Your character "lays hands" and roll Success with 6 Advantage and 2 Triumph... My deity comes down and congratulates me on my stellar effort for the fourth time today?

These situations are examples where a player can see a bit of a way to game the system by always making effortless tasks in order to roll huge success with benefits. That's when a GM can step in before hand and simply say "You don't need to roll, they're all better now, let's move on to the real story"

TLDR: don't worry that it says you need to roll, the Gm can always declare PC success and move on 

DarthDude likes this

23 hours ago, DarthDude said:

Exactly :D 

Aye, from what I read so far about the demo play and seeing the character sheet,

it's almost everything I ever wanted in a RP system.

DarthDude likes this

Not having to roll for a heal makes it, in my opinion, somewhat overpowered.

If you then pair it with no limitations then it would be ridiculous.

One should always try to apply the Heal in a combat free zone, take some time, and use aids for bonus dice.

During combat, if one wants a sure heal, I'd say that costs some Strain, or extra difficulty.

But outside in a nice hospital in a neat and clean city, then it sure can be an auto-success.

It all comes down to situation and environment, imo.

TheSourceHD and DarthDude like this

On ‎18‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 2:36 PM, Solkar77 said:

4.- Lead designer mentioned streamlined Defense... How it works? 

Are you serious; the most pressing issue of the millennium, and only one person asking?! 

Is this some kind of conspiracy?

If so, would you, PLEASE, let me in.

Posted (edited)

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:50 AM, DarthDude said:

I wonder if that "Storypoint" mechanics is absolutely identical to Destiny Points?

They are.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:36 AM, Richardbuxton said:

I think the number per session is set rather than random from a die roll, but they seem to have the same mechanical effect 

It's actually fixed; one Story Point per PC in their pool, and one for the GM in his pool. At least, that's how it was run at the table.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:26 AM, Hinklemar said:

Looking through the conversation and keeping in mind something I heard (during the in flight report?) about expending motivation to have a more mechanical effect, I'm thinking/hoping the Heroic Abilities are reward for roleplaying and awarded by the GM for strong RP/in character choices.

Sidenote: We don't know where the character got it, but in case anyone forgot Fortune Favors the Bold from Smuggler(Gambler) is identical to Ready For Adventure (except the latter requires no strain).

Each PC had a Strength, a Flaw, a Desire, and a Fear. A lot of these felt like a mass incorporation of Morality, Duty, and Obligation. Which is awesome.

Not sure what or how those Heroic Abilities are obtained. Zero indication on the sheets, and the "Ability Points" thing is more confusing than clarifying.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:02 AM, Grimmerling said:

Are you serious; the most pressing issue of the millennium, and only one person asking?! 

Is this some kind of conspiracy?

If so, would you, PLEASE, let me in.

Mentioned in another thread, but it's been simplified. Defense is either granted a base value (Defense 1 from armor, Ranged Defense 1 from cover, Ranged Defense 2 from some effect in the climax of the module "The Haunted City") or added (Defensive 1 adds 1 to your melee defense. Deflection 2 adds 2 to your Ranged Defense).

There is no more limitation on the source of additive bonuses. Meaning Syndrael's Melee Defense was 3 because she had a Defensive 2 Shield and a Defensive 1 sword. In the current Star Wars RPG rules, she couldn't get the +1 from the sword because she's already getting +2 from a "like source" (wielded weapons).

The apparent Defense cap of 4 (mentioned in the GM Rules that someone photo'd from the con; that one wasn't me...) would help curtail someone from building a "turtle-tank" character; someone who has boatloads of Defense and is there to suck up attacks meant for others.

Edited by DarthGM
dbm_ and DarthDude like this

11 hours ago, 2P51 said:

@DarthGM Looking over the folios I get the impression weapon damage is now baseline similar to blasters in SW and no more +X+Brawn+Successes or no?

My understanding is that they're set values on the sheet to facilitate con-module play.

Syndrael has a Brawn of 3 and her sheet says her sword does 6 damage. Thaiden has a Brawn of 2 and his sword (with same crit rating and qualities) does 5 damage.  That seems to indicate highly that swords deal "Str+3" damage.

DarthDude likes this

1 hour ago, DarthGM said:

My understanding is that they're set values on the sheet to facilitate con-module play.

Syndrael has a Brawn of 3 and her sheet says her sword does 6 damage. Thaiden has a Brawn of 2 and his sword (with same crit rating and qualities) does 5 damage.  That seems to indicate highly that swords deal "Str+3" damage.

Gratzy.  Under the spell effects were Deadly and Range and such explained mechanically?  Maybe I missed it in the graphics.

DarthDude likes this

27 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

Gratzy.  Under the spell effects were Deadly and Range and such explained mechanically?  Maybe I missed it in the graphics.

They were not.

Playtesters would know, but it wasn't spelled out what they mean in the GenCon Module documents.

DarthDude likes this