DarthDude

GenCon Doomsday Clock

121 posts in this topic

The clock is ticking! Three more days until a small chance  of some revelation of the Genesys mechanics in a fantasy setting might enlighten us. Hear ye, hear ye, GenCon Genesys players, there is a heavy burden upon your shoulders to spread your knowledge amongst the waiting masses. 

...oh, and by the way, should you not comply, I know where you park your car :D 

Richardbuxton likes this

Could some brave GenConer do us homebrew hobbyists a solid and politely ask someone official about the liscencing possibilities? I know they probably can't comment, but it would be great to get an early heads up on the prospects of creating our own Genesys content and sourcebooks.

DarthDude likes this

Posted (edited)

I plan on asking a bit about pending IPs. Anybody have any specifics they want me to ask?

Edited by Ragudaddy
Spelling
DarthDude likes this

If there's no official announcement, just another layer of people who sign NDAs and take the Boy Scout's Oath not to tell even the smallest morsel, I'll be pretty disappointed.  FFG should realize that they need to give us something to chew on until release.  Something to generate hype and ideas, because the more momentum we as the small yet active community have the more we can run with it.  Pretty much everyone here is going to buy a Genesys book, and I know two or three people who aren't on this forum who are also going to buy the book, and probably on day one to boot.

With a sneak peak, we could get things ready to have gaming sessions running the day we get the book physically into our hands.  Sit down with our friends, get the paper and pencils ready, and then roll some dice.  Wouldn't that be exciting?

copperbell and DarthDude like this

Posted (edited)

I'm confident there will be more information released. This is a marquee event for the hobby and a great way of getting wider awareness of the product. Why waste that?

Edited by dbm_
Typo...
DarthDude likes this

I know it's been radio silence, but I have no doubt that Genesys will be a big chunk of announcement at the in flight report this weekend.

DarthDude likes this

buhuhu, I fear I'll have to wait until tomorrow for some firsthand GenCon reports from oversea, darn timezone difference! I guess it hasn't even started yet, east coast must be 7:15am atm :D 

So do FFG have any seminars scheduled to talk about their new stuff?

Never been to GenCon, so not sure how it normally works...

DarthDude likes this

5 minutes ago, dbm_ said:

So do FFG have any seminars scheduled to talk about their new stuff?

Never been to GenCon, so not sure how it normally works...

12pm tomorrow should be the "In Flight Report".  Might need to get a ticket if there's any left.

DarthDude and dbm_ like this

39 minutes ago, copperbell said:

Someone's posting something to do with L5R on the Genesys Facebook page if that helps?

They know how to make an impression :D The last time I played L5R was the D20 version. Only thing I emember, I was no Crab on the Wall!

Day One; two days of Genesys run for 9 players.

Yup, 9. One group of 5, and one group of 4. And a couple got in with generic tickets.

Somewhat surprised no one has posted images of the character sheets or the magic rules. Players were allowed to take them.

Below is pretty much public knowledge now, no one playing had to sign an NDA or anything...

Magic use is skill based; roll Arcana or Divine to use spells depending on your schtick. Difficulty determined by the spell plus what modifiers you give it (such as the mage who can add Burn 3 to one of his spells for +1 Difficulty) How spells are "learned" or "advanced" is still under wraps. (I mean, _I_ know; but...)

A couple neat talents are introduced like one that you can spend a maneuver to remove the Two Weapon Difficulty increase, and one where you can take two strain instead of 2 advantage to hit with your second weapon.

Each character was +190-210 xp, and had something akin to a signature ability, such as the quasi-paladin who can heal all damage she has and then 3 more at the beginning of her next turn once per session. Or the crossbowman who gains Blast 5 to his shots for 3 turns.

Warhammers hit like a frikkin' concussion dealing, knockdown triggering truck. Inaccurate, tho.

Dice are almost entirely the same except for the difficulty die, which oddly has one half of it reversed from the SW RPG dice. Convinced that's not by design, tho.

May post up more public knowledge  plus photos tomorrow. Definitely after GenCon.

1 hour ago, DarthGM said:

Magic use is skill based; roll Arcana or Divine to use spells depending on your schtick. Difficulty determined by the spell plus what modifiers you give it (such as the mage who can add Burn 3 to one of his spells for +1 Difficulty) How spells are "learned" or "advanced" is still under wraps. (I mean, _I_ know; but...)

Exactly what I hoped for, adding kind of traits to spells like building blocks in a toolbox! :) 

Sounds very promising so far. Might be I found exactly this generic system I was looking for years!

Could you have an insight if specialization trees with talent branches are similar to SW? A dream come true would be if you could purchase talents rather freely in talent trees instead of specializations.

And a good job as always, sir! :) 

Hexnwolf and Richardbuxton like this

Yup, 9. One group of 5, and one group of 4. And a couple got in with generic tickets.

Somewhat surprised no one has posted images of the character sheets or the magic rules. Players were allowed to take them.

Below is pretty much public knowledge now, no one playing had to sign an NDA or anything...

A couple neat talents are introduced like one that you can spend a maneuver to remove the Two Weapon Difficulty increase, and one where you can take two strain instead of 2 advantage to hit with your second weapon.

Each character was +190-210 xp, and had something akin to a signature ability, such as the quasi-paladin who can heal all damage she has and then 3 more at the beginning of her next turn once per session. Or the crossbowman who gains Blast 5 to his shots for 3 turns.

Warhammers hit like a frikkin' concussion dealing, knockdown triggering truck. Inaccurate, tho.

Dice are almost entirely the same except for the difficulty die, which oddly has one half of it reversed from the SW RPG dice. Convinced that's not by design, tho.

May post up more public knowledge  plus photos tomorrow. Definitely after GenCon.

Your a legend. I'm so glad to hear all of this.

The idea that a spell difficulty can be changed depending on your wants and needs is awesome and something I really hoped to see.

The Mechanic of spending Strain instead of Advantage is also an excellent addition.

That manoeuvre for two weapon combat, is it specific in its wording of the weapons that your character is using? Or is it any combination such as a pistol and a sword?

Skills? Please someone post the character sheets so we can see the skills, and talents, and Spells.

its probably late there so I hope someone can give more details in your morning.

DarthDude and Hexnwolf like this

Thank you for this information. The milage we will be able to ken, just based on your verbiage is very very appreciated.

DarthDude likes this

Should they keep specializations (which I do not hope) the guidlines for creating specializations will hopefully add prerequisites and a minimum tier to talents. So you can create specializations more easily.

@DarthGM, do you know if specializations were used or some other mechanic for obtaining talents?

Narrative dice pools for Magic use?

Oh I now understand why I haven't been able to understand why they treat force powers the way they do!

After what happened to the d6 star wars that resulted in d6 Space i must admit to being impressed at what's been mentioned above.

Now I'm really hoping they allow videos of them playing Genesys on YouTube!😉

DarthDude and Richardbuxton like this