Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StGemma

Finally beat Escape from Dol Guldur - Solo, 50 cards, Core set, Standard Difficulty, Progression play

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello,

If anyone is interested, here is a video I recorded beating this difficult quest playing solo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_YonlVYPIc

As far as I know, I only made one actual mistake: I forgot to put 1 damage on a defending ally card at the end of the gameplay. Regardless, I won the next round! Can we consider it a speed run at 18 minutes and 17 seconds? This scenario can definitely be beaten quicker though. Thank you all! =)

Some think this stage is impossible, but if you get a starting hand such as the one in the video, you stand a much better chance of winning.

Also, I have a few other videos on my channel of speed running the core set and will eventually continue past the core set in a progression series style of play. Enjoy!

Edited by StGemma
alexbobspoons and Rouxxor like this

Awesome well done I'll have to check out the video later. As a single handed progression solo player is always felt this one would elude me. 

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, alexbobspoons said:

Awesome well done I'll have to check out the video later. As a single handed progression solo player is always felt this one would elude me. 

Hello,

I have sad news. It turns out I actually made a huge mistake during that game play: I used Stand and Fight and brought Gandalf in at one point. I had no idea this was not allowed. Thus, that drastically changes the outcome of that game. I may still have won even if I did not do that error, but who knows. I will keep at it and eventually beat this, even if I have given this scenario a go hundreds of times. =p

Edit: REJOICE!! I was going at it again for many hours, and I actually finally beat the quest without any major mistakes, except that I forgot to add 1 damage to an ally at the very end, which has no bearing on the outcome since I won next turn. I will edit the video and upload it to youtube soon. I would even like to even claim it as a "Speed run" since I beat it in about 18:25 seconds. A new personal best. =p

Edited by StGemma
alexbobspoons, Authraw and Seastan like this

Well done. Mistakes Halen but having fun is the main aim. Good you still beat it. 

I'd be interested in your deck last of you ever publish it :)

22 hours ago, alexbobspoons said:

Well done. Mistakes Halen but having fun is the main aim. Good you still beat it. 

I'd be interested in your deck last of you ever publish it :)

Here is a video I made briefly going through the deck I used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf2Tqn2g8w4

Nota bene: in the video I mentioned I used two "Daughter of the Nimrodel" for the video I posted in the OP. However, for my actual win I mentioned above on my second post, I only used 1 Daughter and brought in Miner of the Iron Hills, but ended up not even getting to play him. =p

I want to get another win at a quicker time and use Beorn instead of the Miner.

alexbobspoons likes this

Congratulations. It is a good challenge and I may also try it in the future because I wasn't good enough to do it when the game was released ^^. If you can post anywhere the list I will, so as alexspoons pleased to learn from it :).

Posted (edited)

I pulled a few victories (also solo, progression style, standard difficulty, 50 card deck) a few years back. It was exhausting and I haven't tried again since... but I am curious (masochistic?) enough to try the NM version of the quest some day.

Anyhow, congrats StGemma, it's one **** of an accomplishment. I'm amazed that you could complete the quest as quickly as you did (I tend to be slow and take my time analyzing the board state and trying to make sure I haven't forgotten any passive or forced effect triggers, etc.), and doubt I'll ever break your speed record. :-)

Edited by TwiceBornh
Apparently h*ll is a bad word subject to censure???

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, TwiceBornh said:

I'm amazed that you could complete the quest as quickly as you did (I tend to be slow and take my time analyzing the board state and trying to make sure I haven't forgotten any passive or forced effect triggers, etc.), and doubt I'll ever break your speed record. :-)

Thank you! I currently have a lot of time on my hands since it is summer break from school. Thus, I have been going at this quest probably hundreds of times over, losing a zillion times in the process of course. Therefore, I know all the cards almost like the back of my hand. =p

Also, I stick to 50 cards since that is the tournament style. I could certainly have a much higher win rate if I broke that barrier and used a smaller deck since I would get the almighty three attachment combo (Steward of Gondor, Celebrian's stone, Unexpected courage) in my hand more often.

Edited by StGemma

Posted (edited)

Yeah, same (regarding sticking to the 50 cards).

And like you, I took advantage of an extended period of time off to focus on beating Dol Guldur solo. Probably would not have happened if work had consumed my time to the extent it usually did.

Interesting to see the different progression style approaches used to beat the quest. My winning line-ups were Eowyn, Aragorn and either Legolas or Denethor instead of Eleanor.

Edited by TwiceBornh

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, TwiceBornh said:

I pulled a few victories (also solo, progression style, standard difficulty, 50 card deck) a few years back. It was exhausting and I haven't tried again since... but I am curious (masochistic?) enough to try the NM version of the quest some day.

Anyhow, congrats StGemma, it's one **** of an accomplishment. I'm amazed that you could complete the quest as quickly as you did (I tend to be slow and take my time analyzing the board state and trying to make sure I haven't forgotten any passive or forced effect triggers, etc.), and doubt I'll ever break your speed record. :-)

The NM version is an quite impossible challenge equivalent when it was released. Over the years since I first beat it with a combo (so in turn two, probably beat the speed run ^^) but this deck was broke by an errata on love of tales. Since I beat it only with my Gandalf / Elrond / Arwen Undomiel deck (http://ringsdb.com/deck/view/43432), but I heard about beating it with a Caldara deck (near from http://ringsdb.com/deck/view/48903) and Seastan's Boromir can be also one of the few deck to pass it (http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/42/seastan-s-boromir-1.0).

Edited by Rouxxor

I am a big fan of Escape from Dol Guldur Nightmare. 

My Boromir deck can beat it maybe 1/100+ times. Any solo deck is going to take some luck I guess, but this is too low for me to recommend.

My favourite strategy, which has closer to 10% success rate (30% if you pick your captive to be Glorfindel), can be found here: http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/2137/beravor-s-nightmarish-escape-1.0

With the right captive it has a pretty decent shot at winning. But any other captive and it's 0% chance.

Another method that I like is this one: http://ringsdb.com/deck/view/34302

It takes a different approach because it's built to not care who gets captured. It's overall win rate might be higher due to this.

StGemma and alexbobspoons like this

Posted (edited)

Hello all. I finally uploaded the new video of a successful win I pulled off the other day. The youtube link is in the OP. =) Please let me know if I made any mistakes. I seem to keep learning new things when uploading these videos onto youtube. 

Regarding Nightmare mode: goodness gracious. Looks like it would take an eternity to try and beat that solo, core set, progression style. =p Anyone think it is possible?

Also, I am working on a delicious treat video of this quest that I feel you all might enjoy. It will take me a while to finish though. I will post it when it is complete.

Edited by StGemma
Rouxxor likes this

I don't think you should restrict yourself to the core set when playing Dol Guldur NM solo. The NM pack was released years later, when the designers could take a much broader player card pool into consideration... and any progression style NM deck should also keep that in mind. 

StGemma and Rouxxor like this

I think also that you shouldn't play it only with core set. If you want to play it progression style you should at least play al the three first cycles and the two hobbit saga.  I record an approximate progression of all the LOTR sets that was released here : http://sdajce.forumactif.org/t6544-ordre-d-achat-conseille-ordre-de-parution

It is in french but you should be able to understand what that means. If you want the same things in english and with more precision you may go on boardgamegeek (BGG).

StGemma likes this