Nrin

App reveal at Gen Con?

59 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TallGiraffe said:

Doubt it. Conflicts wit Hasbro and EA would make putting it out hard.

They've already announced it for 2017 so I'm not sure that matters. I'm assuming they wouldn't have done that if they hadn't figured out how to get it released. 

subtrendy2 and rbaker1978 like this

11 minutes ago, TheUnsullied said:

They've already announced it for 2017 so I'm not sure that matters. I'm assuming they wouldn't have done that if they hadn't figured out how to get it released. 

Where is this announcement? I would love to be wrong.

6 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

If they'll call it Companion Software, noone will have any problems :D

9 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

Out of interest, what are the conflicts? 

Hasbro Star Wars licenses for boardgames and EA Star Wars licenses for Electronic Games.

the companion app shouldn't really step on either of these toes, and any potential issues would have been ironed out by FFG long before even announcing they were working on the app.

the argument is a non-issue, and the app will simply be released when it's done.

55 minutes ago, SeerOzymandius said:

Out of interest, what are the conflicts? 

People assuming conflicts where none have been indicated because they think the long silences are a sign of problems rather than just time it takes to get to somewhere where it's worthy of news. As we know from past experience in anything FFG... They'll let us know when they feel like they want to let us know, and no sooner.

The fact that FF doesn't have the ability, legally, to put out a video game makes me think we're just going to end up with something disappointing like the Descent app which is really little more than a digital deck of cards, with minimal record keeping, no dice rolling and no AI.  So no "elements that could let it be called a game".  The Descent games using the app always feel like hollow victories because the monsters are "played" so ineffectively and the random powers they get each round to compensate for their bad choices feels really artificial too.

The map exploration element of the Descent app is a huge plus however, so I probably wouldn't be complaining except there are only 2 campaigns in the app with only side missions of the the physical expansions being used.  It's frustrating that what you would think would be the easiest thing to do, take existing physical campaigns, and put them in the app, isn't done.  While I'm glad we got 2 "new" campaigns and the random delve thing, I'd have thought taking 1st edition adventures or the no longer printed original adventure for 2nd edition, and putting them in the app would have been much easier and it's disappointing they're not there.  Even easier taking the 6 campaigns and putting them fully in the app wasn't done, which again feels weird and is disappointing.

Arviss likes this

9 minutes ago, Union said:

The fact that FF doesn't have the ability, legally, to put out a video game makes me think we're just going to end up with something disappointing like the Descent app which is really little more than a digital deck of cards, with minimal record keeping, no dice rolling and no AI.  So no "elements that could let it be called a game".  The Descent games using the app always feel like hollow victories because the monsters are "played" so ineffectively and the random powers they get each round to compensate for their bad choices feels really artificial too.

The map exploration element of the Descent app is a huge plus however, so I probably wouldn't be complaining except there are only 2 campaigns in the app with only side missions of the the physical expansions being used.  It's frustrating that what you would think would be the easiest thing to do, take existing physical campaigns, and put them in the app, isn't done.  While I'm glad we got 2 "new" campaigns and the random delve thing, I'd have thought taking 1st edition adventures or the no longer printed original adventure for 2nd edition, and putting them in the app would have been much easier and it's disappointing they're not there.  Even easier taking the 6 campaigns and putting them fully in the app wasn't done, which again feels weird and is disappointing.

That's interesting.  I've really never heard much negative about the Descent app, and most people on here seem to be hoping that IA's will be similar.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, subtrendy2 said:

That's interesting.  I've really never heard much negative about the Descent app, and most people on here seem to be hoping that IA's will be similar.

Descent hadn't had a box expansion for over a year and then they got two plus the app all around the same time.  I think at that point fans were pretty happy to be getting anything.

So don't get me wrong, 2 more campaigns and a random mission generator for a game everyone thought was on life support was pretty fantastic even if the quality of the app is somewhat less than fantastic.  But if we get the same thing for IA, which is still growing and thriving, people may be pretty disappointed, particularly if it doesn't support skirmish which is the only part that a lot of IA players use.

Edited by Union
subtrendy2 likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm really looking forward to an app. Even if it's somewhat limited. Perfect example, a friend of mine lives out of town and we were thinking about starting a campaign that we'd pick up each time we visit one another. However, given that it's just the two of us we've had to stick to skirmish up until now. An app that removes the imperial player will make it possible to have a fun 2-player experience in the campaign. 

I'm sure the app will have a different dynamic than a live IP. But, it's not like a living IP always plays thematically anyways (most probably don't). Focus fire is not particularly  thematic after all. I'm sure that there will be groups/instances where a living IP will be better than the app, especially if you have 4-5 people in your group. But when you don't, which is a problem for a large number of gamers, you will still be able to have a fun campaign experience!

Edit: side question...does the Decent app allow for multiple ongoing campaigns? this would be a nice feature if you have more than one group.

Edited by VadersMarchKazoo

Am I remembering correctly that last year at GenCon there was a day specific day where FFG had time set aside for a panel/bunch of announcements/whatever?  Does anybody know when if/when they've got something like that scheduled for this year?

2 minutes ago, ManateeX said:

Am I remembering correctly that last year at GenCon there was a day specific day where FFG had time set aside for a panel/bunch of announcements/whatever?  Does anybody know when if/when they've got something like that scheduled for this year?

You mean the In-Flight Report? (I think that is what it is called.

ManateeX, rbaker1978 and ryanjamal like this

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, ManateeX said:

In-Flight Report: Friday 11:00 am (central)

https://www.gencon.com/events/110527

ManateeX, subtrendy2 and ryanjamal like this

17 minutes ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

In-Flight Report: Friday 11:00 am (central)

https://www.gencon.com/events/110527

Awww yeah!  That's where Jabba was announced last year, right?

Also, was GenCon like super early last year, or is it just me?  Thought it was first week of August.

Posted (edited)

I don't remember if that was the JR announcement specifically. But here's a link to a previous posting of the report (previously posted by Professor A1bert) -

26 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

So how does the descent app work and how do we want the IA app to work?

The Road to Legend is free and you can download and play it without the Descent game to see how it works.

2 hours ago, Union said:

Descent hadn't had a box expansion for over a year and then they got two plus the app all around the same time.  I think at that point fans were pretty happy to be getting anything.

So don't get me wrong, 2 more campaigns and a random mission generator for a game everyone thought was on life support was pretty fantastic even if the quality of the app is somewhat less than fantastic.  But if we get the same thing for IA, which is still growing and thriving, people may be pretty disappointed, particularly if it doesn't support skirmish which is the only part that a lot of IA players use.

I couldn't disagree more, My group was struggling to get through an IA campaign when the Descent app was announced. We all preferd a co-op experience to the 1 Vs many aspect of IA. When the descent app was announced we figured we enjoyed the basic mechanics of IA so why not give Descent a try. We bought the basic box and played the tutorial and instantly all agreed to put IA on hold until the IA version of the APP was released (although nothing was mentioned at the time it seemed pretty obvious it would come eventually.) Since then we've played been getting in regular campaigns of RtL in and IA only hits the table on the rare occasion only two of us show up and we feel like a skirmish.

The App made tracking your campaign and setting up a breeze while eliminating the need for one of us to be the odd man out. It also made it easier to get on the table because you only needed 4 instead of 5 which is the amount of reliable people we have in the group. I'm pretty much on hold for buying anything else IA until the app comes out so I hope it is at least mentioned at Gencon (preferably with a release date)

Hopefully there will be more concrete information and not just "we're working on it".  I decided to get into Imperial Assault based on the fact that an app similar to Road to Legend was being developed. 

Now having owned and played some skirmishes and campaign mode, I really do enjoy the game along with my family so we wouldn't be too put out if the app vanished in a puff of smoke.  But considering how much Road to Legend added to our Descent experiences once we tried it out, an app of that nature would be most welcome.  The more so if it applied to Skirmish as well as Campaign.

VadersMarchKazoo and Swusn like this

1 hour ago, The Cocky Rooster said:

The Road to Legend is free and you can download and play it without the Descent game to see how it works.

I don't want to mess around with an app I have no idea how it works, I just want to know how it effects the game.