Sign in to follow this  
simpatikool

ISD + Raiders

Hey Folks,

Have any of you had any luck playing a list comprising of an ISD and 2-3 Raiders? I have tried a couple different lists with the following Admirals. (Vader, Ozzel, Motti, but I have not had much luck to be honest. However, I feel like it can be a strong  surprise attack fleet if I can make it play correctly.

Use the Raiders to herd enemy ships into your Isds front arc by setting up pickets to "catch" enemy ships trying to flank/avoid your big bully ship. Leave your enemies no choice but to land either in front of your ISD or in front of your raiders close range. Or if you have initiative and last/first you can zoom a raider in with a double arc and then unload first activation and zip away. This is the only time I'd really reccomend being overtly aggressive with the raider, otherwise they usually end up dead.

1 hour ago, simpatikool said:

Hey Folks,

Have any of you had any luck playing a list comprising of an ISD and 2-3 Raiders? I have tried a couple different lists with the following Admirals. (Vader, Ozzel, Motti, but I have not had much luck to be honest. However, I feel like it can be a strong  surprise attack fleet if I can make it play correctly.

Short answer - yes.

Long answer: I think that Raider is the best support ship for ISDs. They're cheap (and it matters in an ISD fleet), maneuverable and can punch a way above their weight, especially nowadays.

I think one of the main concepts of playing them is to not be afraid to put them in a harm's way and certain death situations, because activation order matters (an opponent can't activate all of his threats at once) and more importantly: if they're shooting at your Raider, they aren't shooting at your ISD and it is often a difference between dead ISD and ISD that escapes with 2-4 hp left.

An ISD and Raiders can work just fine together, as the ISD does your heavy lifting at range and your Raiders cover picket duty, flakking, short-ranged face-punching, and activation assistance.

Your Raiders will perform a lot better with some more activations (they do not like being out-activated) and your ISD is always hungry for support, so I'd recommend trying to get 2ish Gozantis with Comms Nets in there to help them out - the Raiders appreciate the extra activation padding and the ISD appreciates someone else helping with squadron commands and the command token passing. If you can get up to 5-6 activations, the Raiders will perform better. Raiders are also a bit tricky to get the hang of and I find it's not uncommon for players to be too reckless with them, which results in them being destroyed earlier and easier than they should be. If you're still trying to come to grips with Raiders, I encourage you to give the article I wrote on them a read (if you haven't already).

Edited by Snipafist

Also try the olf OP Screed list...

3 raider 2s with overload pulse, avenger leadingshots xi7 intel officer (if you want redundancy) or other turbolaser/officer upgrade of choice, then use either aggressors or decimators to clean out enemy fighters or follow up ship attacks.

Edited by akenatum

5 minutes ago, Englishpete said:

With the advent of Minister Tua, Reinforced Blast Doors and Colonel Jendon, ISD/Raider/Raider/Gozanti/Gozanti/Squadrons is certainly a solid list.

FTFY ;) I played ISD/Raider/Raider/Gozanti/Gozanti with a Jendonball in a Regional and ended up winning all 3 games (and 2nd place). Boarding Troopers and External Racks are just extra icing on a cake ;)

Tried the OP+Raider thing - wasn't convinced.  It's a nice idea but you need to activate before the ISD which sometimes isn't what you want - and unless you run Screed (which has it's own problems) getting the blue crit can be chancey.

Raiders with OP+Gunnery+DCs sounds good but is pricey for what it does - still tempted to try it again though!

2 minutes ago, Kendraam said:

Tried the OP+Raider thing - wasn't convinced.  It's a nice idea but you need to activate before the ISD which sometimes isn't what you want - and unless you run Screed (which has it's own problems) getting the blue crit can be chancey.

Raiders with OP+Gunnery+DCs sounds good but is pricey for what it does - still tempted to try it again though!

And lord help you if you take Screed/Raider/OP against an enemy running Cracken. Saw it happen at our last store champs. It wasn't pretty.

This is my current thinking on the subject...

Motti's Last Command
Author: Englishpete

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Motti

Assault Objective: Advanced Gunnery
Defense Objective: Capture the VIP
Navigation Objective: Dangerous Territory

[ flagship ] Imperial I-Class Star Destroyer (110 points)
-  Admiral Motti  ( 24  points)
Avenger  ( 5  points)
-  Minister Tua  ( 2  points)
-  Boarding Troopers  ( 3  points)
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points)
-  X17 Turbolasers  ( 6  points)
-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points)
= 161 total ship cost

Raider-I Class Corvette (44 points)
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points)
-  External Racks  ( 3  points)
= 51 total ship cost

= 51 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
= 23 total ship cost

= 23 total ship cost

1 Colonel Jendon ( 20 points)
1 Maarek Steele ( 21 points)
1 TIE Defender Squadron ( 16 points)
1 Ciena Ree ( 17 points)
1 TIE Interceptor Squadron ( 11 points)

4 hours ago, Englishpete said:

Motti's Last Command

Avenger  ( 5  points)
= 161 total ship cost

= 51 total ship cost

= 51 total ship cost

= 23 total ship cost

= 23 total ship cost

1 Ciena Ree ( 17 points)

I built something similar to this earlier today but I like yours better. I might have to steal it. Do you think XI7 is the best call here? If it wasn't running BTs I'd agree but I'm leaning towards XX9s or DTTs in that slot.

15 hours ago, Megatronrex said:

I built something similar to this earlier today but I like yours better. I might have to steal it. Do you think XI7 is the best call here? If it wasn't running BTs I'd agree but I'm leaning towards XX9s or DTTs in that slot.

It depends on how confident you are in that close range shot.  XI7s do nothing the turn you shoot with BTs.  But that's only one turn.  There are 3-4 more shooting opportunities that the XI7s can help with.  The best use for it I could see would be the prior turn you can prevent the redirect, accuracy the brace, forcing the damage through the shielded section, so then you can 1 round it the following turn with BTvenger.  But that's going to be a meta call - if you're not going up against a large ship, then there's no point in that imo.

I would question the ECM vs. RBD.  ECM works better against large single threats - but that's where your BTvenger is super strong anyways.  Might as well shore up your weakness to bomber swarms.  Plus it saves you 2 points that you can use for Comms relay on one of you Gozantis - which can be used to feed you an eng. token for another shield each turn.

1 hour ago, Khyros said:

It depends on how confident you are in that close range shot.  XI7s do nothing the turn you shoot with BTs.  But that's only one turn.  There are 3-4 more shooting opportunities that the XI7s can help with.  The best use for it I could see would be the prior turn you can prevent the redirect, accuracy the brace, forcing the damage through the shielded section, so then you can 1 round it the following turn with BTvenger.  But that's going to be a meta call - if you're not going up against a large ship, then there's no point in that imo.

I would question the ECM vs. RBD.  ECM works better against large single threats - but that's where your BTvenger is super strong anyways.  Might as well shore up your weakness to bomber swarms.  Plus it saves you 2 points that you can use for Comms relay on one of you Gozantis - which can be used to feed you an eng. token for another shield each turn.

It's also an easy way to get that squadron token onto Avenger turn 1, so you can use your commands each turn.

On 8/14/2017 at 0:08 PM, Kendraam said:

I did that day 1 as my gag list screed's d-bags.  It was every bit the jank expected. (I ran 2 of them!) Hah.

Was hilarious though.

Just ran on Sunday..

Vader

Isd1, Hondo, Avenger, Boarding Teams, Dual TL

Raider 2 , overload pulse Gunnery, disposable

Raider1 , external racks Inteptuas

Kitten, enhanced arm Hand of Justice 

Floatilla, suppessor, Tua, Ecm, slicer tools

1 tie interceptor

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:30 PM, Megatronrex said:

I like Xi-7's as they just push through damage and this ship needs to push damage.

On 15/08/2017 at 4:47 AM, Englishpete said:

Motti's Last Command

Avenger  ( 5  points)
= 161 total ship cost

= 51 total ship cost

= 51 total ship cost

= 23 total ship cost

= 23 total ship cost

1 Ciena Ree ( 17 points)

I would tweak the squadron build a bit for taste but otherwise I'd say you've got an amazing list there. 5 activations is really solid. 

So I have read this thread a couple of times and based on what I own and can run have put together the following list, taking a lot of the advice from other players.

Has a strong bid for 1st player. Features Screed so I can get the Overload Pulse shot in when I want it. A somewhat independent and tough Fighter Screen. It can overpower other middling fighter screens if necessary.

I have been able to get a handful of battles on this. One day, instead of running an event, maybe I will play in one and get a real thought of standing.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

Raider Revisited
Author: Simpatikool

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Screed

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Planetary Ion Cannon
Navigation Objective: Salvage Run

[ flagship ] Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
-  Admiral Screed  ( 26  points) 
 Avenger  ( 5  points) 
-  The Grand Inquisitor  ( 4  points) 
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points) 
-  Reinforced Blast Doors  ( 5  points) 
-  XX-9 Turbolasers  ( 5  points) 
= 176 total ship cost

Raider-II Class Corvette (48 points)
-  Disposable Capacitors  ( 3  points) 
-  Overload Pulse  ( 8  points) 
= 59 total ship cost

Raider-I Class Corvette (44 points)
= 51 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
 Suppressor  ( 4  points) 
-  Comms Net  ( 2  points) 
= 29 total ship cost

2 TIE Defender Squadrons ( 32 points) 
1 Morna Kee ( 27 points) 
1 YV-666 ( 15 points) 

I used an 1xISD+3xRaider fleet at a tournament this last weekend (Naboobo2000 was there as a witness and opponent). I'm a pretty decent player, but I came in dead last at the tournament. The ISD went down in flames all three matches.

I tried to use it in the way that MandalorianMoose is suggesting, above - using the Raiders as hunting dogs to corral the opponent's ships into the front arc of the ISD - but it just did not work out that way. :(