Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RogueLieutenant

Rise of the Empire expansion REVIEW

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello! The Jodo Cast review video for the new expansion is up!

This is the first time I've done a game review video so hopefully you like it! I know I still have a long way to go but I learned a lot making this video. :) 

EDIT: Scroll down for full spoiler images of the new Advanced Tactic Cards.

Edited by RogueLieutenant

Posted (edited)

Personally I was hoping to see more of what the new cards are / do but I guess that would be spoilers and not necessarily good for a review. 

Edited by g07h4xf00

21 hours ago, RogueLieutenant said:

Hello! The Jodo Cast review video for the new expansion is up!

This is the first time I've done a game review video so hopefully you like it! I know I still have a long way to go but I learned a lot making this video. :) 

Nice review. Could you please address my previous posts?

I'd suggest discussing here, this way others can enjoy the answers. :)

I'm curious how the new Sabotage works (destroying Shield Bunkers, perhaps, as an option?).

No review/preview so far shown any tactics cards that can prevent direct hits (as opposed to regular hits), I wonder if there are any.

subtrendy2 likes this

the new sabotage card is the same but with the added option of destroying shield bunkers. Never came into play much in my games. 

All tactic cards that can prevent damage refer specifically to hits. so if you roll a crit/direct hit or whatever you don't have to worry about being blocked by a tactics cards. 

Bron Ander Haltern likes this

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, RogueLieutenant said:

Sorry. Been busy. 

PM away. or ask on here. I don't have all the new cards memorized and they're boxed up but I'll answer what I can. :) 

One thing I'd like to know is about the mission cards. You have to play with either the base mission cards or the expansion ones, but not both. Are the expansion mission cards worth it? I feel like a lot of really really good cards are lost from the base set. To name some off the top of my head, cards that I'm definitely going to miss: Carbonite Freezing, Hidden Fleet, Incite Rebellion, Intercept Transmission, Display of Power, Trade Negotiations, Address Delays, Covert Operation, Public Uprising, and Daring Rescue. Would you say the new mission cards are satisfying enough or make up for the lack of these great cards from the base game? I'm definitely most sad about Carbonite Freezing I think. That ring will basically never be used during the expansion?

Edited by g07h4xf00
RogueLieutenant likes this

I think the new missions are worth it for a few reasons. 

You seem to have played the base game a lot I'm going to assume. Having new missions to discover as you play is always fun. 

Ooo I can do this now. 

Oh this is a neat new twist my opponent won't expect. 

Etc.

In the expansion there's now a rule that says you can never have more than 8 leaders at a time. That's because there's now some missions that let you recruit leaders. Like "attempt in a remote system, then choose a leader with no tactic values (Boba, Jabba, or Janus), place that leader in this system" or something to that effect. And there's another one that works for leaders with tactic values. 

So in one game I got two leaders recruited before the end of round 2 which was cool. Had more flexibility to craft my leader pool how I wanted instead of depending on the chance of the action deck for all of my leaders. 

There's also a card for the empire that has 2 copies called Deployment. 

(I'm at work so I'm just remembering what I can)

I think it's 2 Diplomacy; Attempt in any system. If successful place 1 TRIANGLE ground unit in that system. 

Which is another way for the empire to look for the rebel base. 

I think there's also some new things to attempt against captured leaders as well that'll let you discard missions cards from your opponent's hand (excluding starting missions). 

Garrett17 likes this

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, RogueLieutenant said:

I think the new missions are worth it for a few reasons. 

You seem to have played the base game a lot I'm going to assume. Having new missions to discover as you play is always fun. 

Ooo I can do this now. 

Oh this is a neat new twist my opponent won't expect. 

Etc.

In the expansion there's now a rule that says you can never have more than 8 leaders at a time. That's because there's now some missions that let you recruit leaders. Like "attempt in a remote system, then choose a leader with no tactic values (Boba, Jabba, or Janus), place that leader in this system" or something to that effect. And there's another one that works for leaders with tactic values. 

So in one game I got two leaders recruited before the end of round 2 which was cool. Had more flexibility to craft my leader pool how I wanted instead of depending on the chance of the action deck for all of my leaders. 

There's also a card for the empire that has 2 copies called Deployment. 

(I'm at work so I'm just remembering what I can)

I think it's 2 Diplomacy; Attempt in any system. If successful place 1 TRIANGLE ground unit in that system. 

Which is another way for the empire to look for the rebel base. 

I think there's also some new things to attempt against captured leaders as well that'll let you discard missions cards from your opponent's hand (excluding starting missions). 

That's cool. I seems like that "Deployment" is supposed to replace "Trade Negotiations" and "Message From High Command" (that's a card, right? How many copies are there?) is to replace "Display of Power." Honestly I think these two base game cards were super strong for Empire, probably too strong. Is the Carbonite ring not used / a thing anymore in the new missions deck?

Edited by g07h4xf00

Posted (edited)

Hi Rogue,

Nice review.  I had a few card specific questions if you've got a sec.

I heard that there are 12 new objective cards for the rebels to play. Would you mind giving your thoughts on them? The previews have covered "Raid Outposts", "Decisive Victory", "Rebel Cell", "Raid Imperial Factor" and "Defensive Position" but I'd love to hear about some of the others since I had no idea they were adding so many.

Also, was curious about the effects of two of the combat cards in particular. Specifically Ion Cannon (Rebel-Space) and the Nebulon-B Frigate (also Rebel-Space).

Again, thanks for the review.

Edited by Garrett17

2 hours ago, Garrett17 said:

Hi Rogue,

Nice review.  I had a few card specific questions if you've got a sec.

I heard that there are 12 new objective cards for the rebels to play. Would you mind giving your thoughts on them? The previews have covered "Raid Outposts", "Decisive Victory", "Rebel Cell", "Raid Imperial Factor" and "Defensive Position" but I'd love to hear about some of the others since I had no idea they were adding so many.

Also, was curious about the effects of two of the combat cards in particular. Specifically Ion Cannon (Rebel-Space) and the Nebulon-B Frigate (also Rebel-Space).

Again, thanks for the review.

Thanks for watching! :D

I can't really remember any of the mission cards that specifically. I'd have to go crack open the box and take a look again. 

same goes for the combat cards but i'm preeeety sure this is how they are: 

Ion Canon is a space tactic card. Its effect is that your opponent rolls 2 fewer red dice during the space combat round. 

The Nebulon B is also a space tactic card. I'm pretty sure the non-unit effect says your opponent cannot play a space tactic card next round. I think the Nebulon effect is that you may play an additional card. so essentially you can play a card in reaction. 

I would have to double check on these as well. 

Sorry I don't remember them accurately.... 

remind me tomorrow evening and i'll see if I can bust open the box and check for you. 

I'm still waiting to see if we're gonna get a weekly article today about the expansion showing some of the new cards we haven't seen before.

I don't think we ever got an article as late during the day - and with base game the article with full rules was the last one before "hey, game is now available" one.

On the other hand, they could still realistically crank out one more article with new objectives.

5 hours ago, RogueLieutenant said:

It's 2 in the afternoon! I'm still at work! :P

Keep reminding me, or PM me, or pester me on twitter or discord

I have some busy plans tonight and this weekend but I want to get you the info you're looking for. 

Not a problem. No need to make it a priority. Just if and when you can find a spare moment. If not, no worries.

Posted (edited)

Normally I wouldn't (probably...) jump on the bandwagon of asking reviewer for some very specific info, but I feel that when it comes to advanced tactic cards, lack of complete information stifles serious conversation about new combat system - with its rock-paper-scissors aspect playing a significant part, it's hard to discuss paper without knowing what rock is, exactly... :) I feel it's not a significant problem with other aspects of the expansion, like new missions.

Like others said, really appreciate the preview and all info in this thread. No hurry and if you're unable to, then no worries, GenCon is surely an exhausting experience.

At this moment there are only 6 tactic cards left that we don't know anything about, so if you would be so generous to fill in some blanks or maybe verify the ones marked as uncertain - so as not to spend time/effort to duplicate something that was already leaked/announced, you might take a look at this list:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1832705/list-advanced-tactic-cards-progress

Thanks a lot!

By the way, is Rise of the Empire available for purchase on GenCon? Would be a bit strange if it wasn't, but no one is bragging online about their brand new copy yet... ;) 

Edited by Bron Ander Haltern