Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Felswrath

Considering getting into the game in Cleveland

6 posts in this topic

I have never played an rpg, but am a big fan of Imperial Assault. I love the progression and world building aspects the most. As such, I think this is the next logical place to go. But I'm reluctant, never having played an rpg, I don't know if I'm getting in over my head. Is there anyone here in the Cleveland Ohio area who would be willing to demo? If not, should I go ahead and purchase a beginner box so I'm only spending half the price of a book and getting a sense of how to construct a scenario, or should I go for the book?

If you end up forging ahead on your own, I and many others will highly recommend grabbing a beginner box. They have everything you need for your first experience in Star Wars role playing: Pre-built character sheets, A fully written adventure (some with a follow up PDF available online), Maps, Character tokens, and a set of dice.

It's a fantastic deal if you're just starting out and want to get your feet wet. Even if you plan to buy a core rule book, playing through a box is incredibly helpful for players and GMs to learn the basic gameplay.

The fact you get a set of dice, which alone is half the price of a box, makes it way worth it. I own three of the four boxes even though I've only played one of them.

zsavk likes this

Thanks I picked up the boxes for AoR and EotE a few days ago. I'm really excited to try this with some friends on Sunday. One question, though, are characters aloud to pick up weapons, equipment, and armor from dead npcs?

3 hours ago, Felswrath said:

Thanks I picked up the boxes for AoR and EotE a few days ago. I'm really excited to try this with some friends on Sunday. One question, though, are characters aloud to pick up weapons, equipment, and armor from dead npcs?

Yes they are allowed to.  But enforce encumbrance if they start trying to carry every rifle and suit of armor they run into.  Looting is usually because they have something better than you do, or to use the clothes as a disguise.  It shouldn't be for getting money.  Unless that's how you want to play.

I don't recall if the Beginner Boxes address Encumbrance.

Play it logically as it applies to the story. If a PC intends to carry around a set of Stormtrooper armor and six Imperial blaster carbines, they're certainly going to be noticed.

But if they want to pull a classic Stormtrooper Switcheroo, well that's exactly what's fun about RPGs.

Felswrath likes this

Yeah rogue_09 there is no encumbrance in the beginner game. To make things at least somewhat believable though, I was going to limit the pcs to the slots provided in the folios 3-4 weapons and 5-6 types of gear/equipment. Both totaling a maximum of 9.