Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonasBenz

The Case Against Vibroknife

59 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Buhallin said:

You don't try much control, do you?

Control and mill decks have to survive. That's hard to begin with, but when you take away any defensive options it's downright silly. I used to play Jabba/Dooku with moderate success, Vibroknife put Dooku on the shelf forever.

Vibroknife completely defines out of existence any sort of control/defense/mill deck design.

Control decks often run on yellow and yellow can remove upgrades. 

1 minute ago, Stone37 said:

Control decks often run on yellow and yellow can remove upgrades. 

Again, spoken like someone who's never tried it. Control generally doesn't have the damage to make Disarm work, and Confiscation is temporary.  And all that's on top of the usual silver bullet issues.

I play tournament and casual. My consern with vivroknife is that its ability is not taken into consideration in its cost. For something this strong, I think ambush should be removed and +1 added to ressource cost. At least that way, few chance to see it on turn one, and ambush removed will give more time to control dice etc.

Chak

Forgot to quote

You don't try much control, do you?

Control and mill decks have to survive. That's hard to begin with, but when you take away any defensive options it's downright silly. I used to play Jabba/Dooku with moderate success, Vibroknife put Dooku on the shelf forever.

Vibroknife completely defines out of existence any sort of control/defense/mill deck design.

I agree 99%

Posted (edited)

Again, spoken like someone who's never tried it. Control generally doesn't have the damage to make Disarm work, and Confiscation is temporary.  And all that's on top of the usual silver bullet issues.

Yes, you are playing stone with scissors and want the scissors changed so you can win more. Yet perhaps this is the very thing that VK was included in as a counter. Were you ever disappointed when playing fast hands on Jabba and he rolled up 2 Disrupt? Bet your opponent was as salty as, but hey, I built my deck to play that way didn't I? Why then, is having no regard for your shields any different?

I chose to play an EMO Vader for my store champs, during play-testing I was frustrated by my luck in not rolling or getting cards I wanted, so I removed VK as 1 damage just wasn't making me feel the card was great. Sure there were times I had to burn away shields, but I had a very nice damage curve happening that was just more consistent for me and my dice rolling. For all that is worth I ended up going home on SOS while the players of two losses I took ending up 1st and 3rd.

But if you are not prepared to change the deck you have, or can't, then I think you are not exactly in the right calling for an errata. In general 2 damage is dead easy, just not in a Jabba/Unkar Mill Deck. That choice though is on you.

If you play against pure agro or light control, decks that would rather deal damage that take shields. Which are the far more common deck archetypes in use, the VK doesn't bring any great advantage if you don't have shields.

Edited by Amanal
Stone37 likes this

I think that Vibroknife should've been two different cards, one that's a melee ambush (like a Holdout Blaster but melee) and a different one that makes dice unblockable. Either ability on the card would be fine, and Vibroknife is relatively balanced in non-Rey decks in my opinion (for example, I don't get much use out of it in my Vader(SoR)/Kylo decks), but having both abilities makes the card completely broken in a Rey deck. 

I'm looking forward to the 2 cost upgrade that says "While this door is in your pool, your opponent cannot resolve ranged damage dice."

That's pretty much what Vibroknife does to every defensive die in the game, why not have one for offense as well?  Heck, I'll even be generous and say mine doesn't have Ambush!

The reason you don't see much value in Vibroknife is that nobody plays shields, BECAUSE OF VIBROKNIFE. Control and mill are overall very weak in Destiny. The decks tend to be slow, their dice sides are extra slow, and it control is only every temporary. It's already a massive uphill battle, but Vibroknife just ends it.

pheylorn likes this

12 hours ago, Amanal said:

Yes, you are playing stone with scissors and want the scissors changed so you can win more. Yet perhaps this is the very thing that VK was included in as a counter. Were you ever disappointed when playing fast hands on Jabba and he rolled up 2 Disrupt? Bet your opponent was as salty as, but hey, I built my deck to play that way didn't I? Why then, is having no regard for your shields any different?

I chose to play an EMO Vader for my store champs, during play-testing I was frustrated by my luck in not rolling or getting cards I wanted, so I removed VK as 1 damage just wasn't making me feel the card was great. Sure there were times I had to burn away shields, but I had a very nice damage curve happening that was just more consistent for me and my dice rolling. For all that is worth I ended up going home on SOS while the players of two losses I took ending up 1st and 3rd.

But if you are not prepared to change the deck you have, or can't, then I think you are not exactly in the right calling for an errata. In general 2 damage is dead easy, just not in a Jabba/Unkar Mill Deck. That choice though is on you.

If you play against pure agro or light control, decks that would rather deal damage that take shields. Which are the far more common deck archetypes in use, the VK doesn't bring any great advantage if you don't have shields.

xjHUmeN.gif