Sign in to follow this  
Chuda Meh

The world, a stage (scorpion story)

1 minute ago, Mon no Oni said:

Well, if he was supposed to be her son, too, she would have referred to him naturally as "our son". That she said "your son" may (or may not) be significant in as much is not the natural turn of phrase she would use otherwise.

Based on RL experience, I didn't find "your son" odd even if both were Dairu's biological parents. But considering that Dairu was almost a footnote in the fiction, we cannot really judge in any way.

2 minutes ago, Mon no Oni said:

Well, if he was supposed to be her son, too, she would have referred to him naturally as "our son". That she said "your son" may (or may not) be significant in as much is not the natural turn of phrase she would use otherwise.

Hmm 

maybe the roles are reversed this time with Dairu being Shojus' but not Kachikos'. It would put a different spin on her. 'Concubine' comment.

This story reads less like a husband and wife talking and more like two allied political rivals trying to feel each other out. I believe this is intentional.

Shoju does not trust Kachiko. He chose to have this conversation in a semi-public location (the gardens) where he could post guards rather than a private location (the bath) a husband and wife could converse in.

1 hour ago, Mon no Oni said:

As a father, the child is "ours" when everything is fine, and "yours" when acting especially like the spouse and/or in trouble, particularly if you're blaming the spouse.

4 minutes ago, SirEuain said:

You know, I'd like to see Junzo stay uncorrupted. It'd be a nice surprise.

I agree on an uncorrupted Junzo, at least at first. Much more interesting to see the story develop.

10 minutes ago, Mon no Oni said:

I agree on an uncorrupted Junzo, at least at first. Much more interesting to see the story develop.

It's like my dad used to say:

"Everyone falls. What matters is that when you do you commit yourself to Fu Leng and be the best Oni you can be."

At least that's what I think he said.  I'd ask him, but, I kind of ate him to show my loyalty to Fu Leng.......so yeah. :ph34r:

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Well, Dave certainly nailed the characterization here- as an intro to the Scorpion, it rocked my socks.

People expecting more plot advancement should content themselves with the Coup chatter at the end- juxtaposed with Shoju altering the swimming patterns of the fish with a single finger. I really liked that bit.

I am also beyond amused that neither Shoju nor Kachiko regards the Phoenix as holding relevance. If my favorite clan exists in their blind spot, I am not gonna cry. ;)

I liked the fact that the Scorpion clan fiction referenced the stagehands. The way "ninjas" tend to dress when depicted in Western media (ie black pajamas) is actually the uniform used by stagehands in traditional Japanese plays. As the fiction stated, the stagehands were seen by the audience, but were intended to be ignored as a mere part of the scenery. When a part of the scenery would suddenly, say, jump out from the background and murder somebody, it was extremely startling for the audience--and so the actors playing ninjas would dress and act like stagehands, until the moment was right for them to step into the spotlight. 

...Not that I would do anything so dishonorable as to accuse the Scorpion Clan of using ninjas. I'm sure it was pure coincidence that this reference and this fiction coincided...

4 hours ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

This story reads less like a husband and wife talking and more like two allied political rivals trying to feel each other out. I believe this is intentional.

Shoju does not trust Kachiko. He chose to have this conversation in a semi-public location (the gardens) where he could post guards rather than a private location (the bath) a husband and wife could converse in.

He must trust her enough to have been alone with her at least once, for at least 10 minutes, if Dairu's existence is any indication.

It could be that he used to trust her, but not anymore. In which case, I'd be very interested to find out why.

I liked them using the old 'so loyal I'd kill my master if he told me to' bit.

Shoju and Kachiko's characterization was in line with what I'd expect given the Scorpion Clan War novel.

Also, Kisada is wise to beware of Scorpions bearing gifts.

Have some Juniper. And if you'd like to see a display of seduction worth of Kachiko herself go here.

Juniper Buckingham - Scorpion by shineyorkboy

Edited by shineyorkboy

1 hour ago, Fumi said:

He must trust her enough to have been alone with her at least once, for at least 10 minutes, if Dairu's existence is any indication.

In many aristocratic societies, high-ranking people were basically never alone. Including while having sex with their spouses/illicit lovers/etc. They had attendants and guards and so forth standing right there in the room while they got it on.

I bet he didn't even take the mask off for those 10 minutes, though. 

EDIT: Between his mask, his withered arm, and penchant for operating behind the scenes, he kinda gives me a solid Phantom of the Opera vibe. How's his singing voice? :lol:

Edited by Zesu Shadaban

1 hour ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

I bet he didn't even take the mask off for those 10 minutes, though. 

EDIT: Between his mask, his withered arm, and penchant for operating behind the scenes, he kinda gives me a solid Phantom of the Opera vibe. How's his singing voice? :lol:

Probably pretty good....not that we should read anything into that. Of course if he wanted to hang out in the caverns below  Kyuden Bayushi doing musical numbers, who would stop him???

2 hours ago, Kinzen said:

In many aristocratic societies, high-ranking people were basically never alone. Including while having sex with their spouses/illicit lovers/etc. They had attendants and guards and so forth standing right there in the room while they got it on.

That awkward moment when you realize that whenever that one attractive guard is assigned to bedroom duty, your spouse orgasms faster...

Yet another reason to be glad I'm not a samurai.

Nice one, FFG... Sneaky, sneaky Scorpion... :ph34r:

Question now is: Where can we find the Unicorn intro fiction... without losing honor, that is... :P

Edited by daimaru
Additional comments