drail14me

Advice for listening to Podcasts....

Only been playing X-Wing since May. Discovered Podcasts shortly after. Been listening on my iPhone via some corded ear buds. I'm ready to cut the cord and go Bluetooth. 

Anyone got any experience with a Bluetooth earbud that will play Podcasts and can be used for phone calls too? I need something pretty secure so it will stay in my ear while working or exercising. 

I'm not having any luck at my local WalMart and there's not much else in this small town. 

Thanks for any advice. 

9 minutes ago, drail14me said:

Only been playing X-Wing since May. Discovered Podcasts shortly after. Been listening on my iPhone via some corded ear buds. I'm ready to cut the cord and go Bluetooth. 

Anyone got any experience with a Bluetooth earbud that will play Podcasts and can be used for phone calls too? I need something pretty secure so it will stay in my ear while working or exercising. 

I'm not having any luck at my local WalMart and there's not much else in this small town. 

Thanks for any advice. 

I use LG headphones that I bought from Amazon. I think it's the LG tone900 and we're inseparable. Having hands free to pause, play, and rewind is amazing. I also found that I prefer one with retractable headphone cords. Sound quality is fine, no complaints there.

My best advice is to find the Bluetooth headphones category on Amazon and read reviews, see which ones would be best for you. Physical retailers tend to be a lot more expensive for Bluetooth headsets. Best of luck, fly casual!

I had Bluebuds by Jaybird for a few years. They are what I used for listening to my podcasts. they just died on my last month (lasted almost 4 years). The battery stopped holding a charge. They had a very nice, secure fit. They sounded terrific. But cost a pretty penny. purchased through the apple store. 

27 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

I've had a set of apple AirPods since December. I love them so much I would buy them again if I lost them. And I hate spending money frivolously. They are kind of impossible to beat.

I completely agree.  I use the Apple AirPods daily, and I think they are worth every penny spent on them.  I would immediately replace them if I lost them.

1 hour ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

I've had a set of apple AirPods since December. I love them so much I would buy them again if I lost them. And I hate spending money frivolously. They are kind of impossible to beat.

40 minutes ago, Rinehart said:

I completely agree.  I use the Apple AirPods daily, and I think they are worth every penny spent on them.  I would immediately replace them if I lost them.

Those AirPods look nice but not very secure. How do they do when exercising or when fairly active? Do they have an over the ear clip? Seems like they would fall out. I'd hate for them to fall out while I'm working on some heavy equipment and get lost. Also, will the right one fit in your left ear? I'm deaf in my right ear so if it would fit in my left ear, I could listen to one while the other charged! (There's a bright side to everything!)

The best advice for listening to podcasts is don't listen to X-Wing podcasts.  They are, as a whole, not very informative and the signal-to-noise ratio is astronomically low.  They also tend to be quite full of themselves.

Seriously, there is a world of fascinating, well produced, entertaining and informative podcasts out there.  Even some about boargaming generally are quite worthwhile.   But X-Wing specific podcasts are ... ehhh.  It's not really the podcasters' fault (well, the inside jokes, poor editing and pacing, and unstructured ramblings are), but the lack of meaningful content is a result of the fact that X-Wing is a five year old game and most of the finer points of the game have been discussed to death.  There's reeally not that much to talk about regarding the game any given week or month.  It's the same reason these forums are so toxic...everyone wants to talk about X-Wing all day, but there's really nothing to say or nothing that needs to be said most of the time.

1 hour ago, HammerGibbens said:

I use LG headphones that I bought from Amazon. I think it's the LG tone900 and we're inseparable. Having hands free to pause, play, and rewind is amazing. I also found that I prefer one with retractable headphone cords. Sound quality is fine, no complaints there.

My best advice is to find the Bluetooth headphones category on Amazon and read reviews, see which ones would be best for you. Physical retailers tend to be a lot more expensive for Bluetooth headsets. Best of luck, fly casual!

My local Walmart actually has a pair of these I looked at today. It's good to know they work well. You've had no trouble getting the Tone to connect to the Podcasts app on an iPhone? The Bluetooth device I tried wouldn't connect with the Podcast app.

7 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

The best advice for listening to podcasts is don't listen to X-Wing podcasts.  They are, as a whole, not very informative and the signal-to-noise ratio is astronomically low.  They also tend to be quite full of themselves.

Seriously, there is a world of fascinating, well produced, entertaining and informative podcasts out there.  Even some about boargaming generally are quite worthwhile.   But X-Wing specific podcasts are ... ehhh.  It's not really the podcasters' fault (well, the inside jokes, poor editing and pacing, and unstructured ramblings are), but the lack of meaningful content is a result of the fact that X-Wing is a five year old game and most of the finer points of the game have been discussed to death.  There's reeally not that much to talk about regarding the game any given week or month.  It's the same reason these forums are so toxic...everyone wants to talk about X-Wing all day, but there's really nothing to say or nothing that needs to be said most of the time.

Don't listen to grump guss here, I listen to X-Wing podcasts almost daily and really enjoy them.

3 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

Don't listen to grump guss here, I listen to X-Wing podcasts almost daily and really enjoy them.

I'm just saying we all have very finite amounts of free time between work, family, and other aspects of life.  The limited time I have to listen to podcasts, I'm not squandering them on a bunch of yahoos spending ten minutes teasing each other for not pissing before the recording started.  If I want to hear that sort of playful throwaway friend banter, I'll go hang out with my actual friends.  Feels weird and obnoxious being a fly on the wall for group's of strangers goof around time.

39 minutes ago, drail14me said:

Those AirPods look nice but not very secure. How do they do when exercising or when fairly active? Do they have an over the ear clip? Seems like they would fall out. I'd hate for them to fall out while I'm working on some heavy equipment and get lost. Also, will the right one fit in your left ear? I'm deaf in my right ear so if it would fit in my left ear, I could listen to one while the other charged! (There's a bright side to everything!)

I row. I run. I lift weights. I've had one fall out one time since Christmas, and that was only because my seat belt hit it at a weird angle that pushed it up and out.

you can listen to one at a time, but you can't swap them to the wrong ear. If I was deaf in one ear I'd sell the other one. There have to be people out there who've lost one somehow.

Edited by TasteTheRainbow

8 hours ago, drail14me said:

My local Walmart actually has a pair of these I looked at today. It's good to know they work well. You've had no trouble getting the Tone to connect to the Podcasts app on an iPhone? The Bluetooth device I tried wouldn't connect with the Podcast app.

I use an Android phone (with no trouble), but my girlfriend has an iPhone and a matching pair of headphones and never has any trouble with hers

I would recommend over the ear bluetooth.  I'm older, though, and can say listening to podcasts through ear buds usually hurts my ear.  I prefer over the ear.  I know that's just my preference, though.  If you go that route, look for ones that don't have cheap plastic bands over the head.  Think about what would happen if sat on or dropped.  

On 8/11/2017 at 3:44 PM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

They also tend to be quite full of themselves.

WHAT?!?!?!?  Do you know who I am?  I'll get you banned from X-wing for talking to me like that!  How dare you.....

:P

Actually, I'm surprised people listen to mine!  I will say that we have a lot of casual stuff still to cover.  We have only played through one epic ship campaign so far.  Lots more missions to go through. 

1 hour ago, heychadwick said:

I would recommend over the ear bluetooth.  I'm older, though, and can say listening to podcasts through ear buds usually hurts my ear.  I prefer over the ear.  I know that's just my preference, though.  If you go that route, look for ones that don't have cheap plastic bands over the head.  Think about what would happen if sat on or dropped.  

WHAT?!?!?!?  Do you know who I am?  I'll get you banned from X-wing for talking to me like that!  How dare you.....

:P

Actually, I'm surprised people listen to mine!  I will say that we have a lot of casual stuff still to cover.  We have only played through one epic ship campaign so far.  Lots more missions to go through. 

Plus JOE BOSS returns... dat guy is so dam-cool... and knows stuff.

60SA.gif

On 8/11/2017 at 0:59 PM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I'm just saying we all have very finite amounts of free time between work, family, and other aspects of life.  The limited time I have to listen to podcasts, I'm not squandering them on a bunch of yahoos spending ten minutes teasing each other for not pissing before the recording started.  If I want to hear that sort of playful throwaway friend banter, I'll go hang out with my actual friends.  Feels weird and obnoxious being a fly on the wall for group's of strangers goof around time.

Eh, I just let them run while I'm painting miniatures. I guess I could be running an audio book, but that's not a format I really like, instead I like listening to x-wing podcasts, or sometimes having a recorded game running in the background.

But I totally agree that time is a valuable commodity.

11 hours ago, kris40k said:

Eh, I just let them run while I'm painting miniatures. I guess I could be running an audio book, but that's not a format I really like, instead I like listening to x-wing podcasts, or sometimes having a recorded game running in the background.

Audiobooks live or die by the narrator.  I've found very few Star Wars audiobooks that I can tolerate.

FWIW, the two 'best' are the full-cast adaptations that PBS did for 'Star Wars' and 'Empire Strikes Back' back in the early 80s.  They actually got the original actors back for those two (but not 'Jedi', sadly), and the stories expand on the films quite a bit in some areas. 

Also worth checking out for Star Wars is 'Dark Empire' - another full cast (sound effects/music/etc) recording, although with stand-ins for the major characters (IIRC, Billy Dee Williams did return for Lando in this one, but I think he was the only one).  Notable, although it diverges HEAVILY from established canon at this point, because it was really the true 'birth' of the expanded universe.  (Although the Thrawn novels were released before Dark Empire, Dark Empire was actually written first).

Gotta say, there are a TON of great mystery novels out there in audiobook format, though.  And I am a HUGE fan of the Aubrey/Maturin novels (Master and Commander, et al) narrated by Simon Vance.  Fans of ship-to-ship battles (*cough*) might find a lot to like, here, too...

Edited by xanderf

14 hours ago, heychadwick said:

IMHO, for a podcast to work, it needs to do two things:

• Be accessible.  Discussing games played by 'house rules' (even if 'available online!...somewhere') or relying on previous material...just a non-starter.  Be playing the same game that anyone can go into a store and buy off the shelf.
  • Cover an angle that others aren't covering.  IMHO, "where X-Wing is going" or "what the X-Wing tournament scene is"...done to death.  Seriously.  TO DEATH.  But someone you wrote sparked my curiosity.  Epic games?  Man, those are a TON of fun - and not well covered.  Just read another thread where the OP posted a ton of great insights into Epic play that I've not had a chance to experience, yet, but totally get where he's coming from.  And covering the included 'missions'?  I'd love to see someone play each a dozen or so times with (as appropriate) meta-popular lists and/or newer releases than the mission came with.  Note which ones still work, which ones feel like they need some tweaks, discuss thematic lists for them...that'd be hella cool.

5 hours ago, xanderf said:

And covering the included 'missions'?  I'd love to see someone play each a dozen or so times with (as appropriate) meta-popular lists and/or newer releases than the mission came with.  Note which ones still work, which ones feel like they need some tweaks, discuss thematic lists for them...that'd be hella cool.

We have done a number of the missions for our podcast, but there are still a lot more to do.  I'd say we have done 1/4 of them?  We did cover the CR-90 campaign, but none of the rest.