Sign in to follow this  
Edgegordon1

When to play characters

I seem to be a little confused on the rules. Can you only play characters during a conflict. The way I'm reading the rules, it states that you have to play characters, during a conflict, after attackers and defenders have already been declared.

Edit- a word

Edited by Edgegordon1

Character Cards

Character cards represent the bushi, courtiers, shugenja, monks, shinobi, armies, creatures, and other personalities and groups one might encounter in Rokugan.

• Character cards generally enter play ready and in a player’s home area, and remain in play unless removed by an ability or game step.
  • When a player plays a character from his or her hand during a conflict, the player has the option to play it directly into the conflict, ready and participating on his or her side.

Pg4 of the Rules Reference.

Edited by RandomJC

26 minutes ago, Edgegordon1 said:

I seem to be a little confused on the rules. Can you only play characters during a conflict. The way I'm reading the rules, it states that you have to play characters, during a conflict, after attackers and defenders have already been declared.

Edit- a word

Most characters will be player during Dinasty Phase.

To I think give you a more detailed answer (Based on the interpetation of the L5R Rules channel on discord):

Characters in provinces are only normally playable during the dynasty phase, and only if you haven't passed yet.

Characters in your hand (Conflict Characters) can be played any time during an Action window except Dynasty.

Edited by Mirith

There's a special action window in the Dynasty Phase to play characters from your provinces. Characters in your hand can be played in any other action window (but not in the Dynasty phase) . You can use an ability to 'put' into play characters on provinces during any action window. You can also use an event card or ability (from a card already in play) to 'put' into play a character in your hand during the Dynast phase.

But I'd rather finish up my Dynasty phase as soon as possible to get that extra fate, and use abilities in the other action windows.

8 hours ago, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

There's a rules channel on Discord???

I thought it was just one long stream of babbling on in the general channel.

If you look at the standard Rules channel, it should tell you how to join lcg_player and unlock all of the lcg channels.