Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Glucose98

Cinematic Combat Rules

7 posts in this topic

Given the new rules -- can an attacker use any X "cancel" results on their rolled dice on the first round?  They most likely won't have damage at that point?

It does not appear so.  The cinematic rules seem to tip the balance of combat from attacker to defender in that regard.  However, the attacking player gets to do rerolls first and could simply reroll away blocks to get more hits.  So the alpha strike capability of attacking first may cancel out the slight advantage of the second player being able to block.  I'm guessing all in all it will be a minor difference.

Nolock likes this

I was also puzzled with this aspect of the Cinematic combat rules.

Since "[...]units are destroyed if they have damage equal to or exceeding their health at the end of that round of battle (after all units in that theater have attacked)", I thought the attacker would never have the oppotunity to remove damage from their 1 health units.

However, since the Advanced Tactic Cards (ATC) are resolved prior to the Roll Dice step of resolving an attack, and since some ATC like Swarm Tactics can deal damage, the attacker could spend a special icon die to remove some damage dealt by a card even in the first round. Regarding 1 health units, it looks like the attacker will only be able remove damage done to those via ATC.

I do agree with kmanweiss though. There seems to be multiple non damage dealing ATC out of the 8 ground and 8 space cards each faction is getting, so I believe the attacker will often want to reroll their special icon die in the first round.

In any case, I can't wait to try out the expansion!

Yep. what kmanweiss said. 

I just finished up my review of the expansion for The Jodo Cast so I have some games with it under my belt. 

The defender has an advantage when it comes to utilizing the specials to heal. 

There are new tactic cards though that let the attacker go 2nd to get that slight advantage. 

Posted (edited)

I'm confused. I thought all dead units were removed after both sides attacked once.   

In which case that means attackers can never block noncard damage.

Edited by patrickmahan

41 minutes ago, patrickmahan said:

I'm confused. I thought all dead units were removed after both sides attacked once.   

In which case that means attackers can never block noncard damage.

Damage that does not destroy the unit can be removed in subsequent rounds. 

There are some tactic cards that play a major role in blocking damage.

There are several cards that prevent damage, so I'd assume an attacker could use one of these and effectively block damage the first round.  There are also cards that negate the other players ability to block damage.  There are also cards that swap the attack order.

I think there are enough variables that the slight advantage to order won't be noticed.

Bron Ander Haltern likes this