gilbur

DRAGONSTAR GENESYS 2---Magic

50 posts in this topic

Alright trying something, I did put my file into a messenger to GM Chris, who is also interested in what I am working on and I know he is at Gencon most likely, so I took it out of his message and going to re-post to see what happens.Ranger.pdf

DarthDude likes this

Posted (edited)

The both skills Arcane and Divine for casting spells have been confirmed by DarthGM :)  

And it sounds like you could add traits to your spells which affect the difficulty, very flexible :) 

Edited by DarthDude
gilbur likes this

I see what you mean on the list, played around with open office on modifying another users conversion. couple of years ago someone did a rifts hack for the Edge but stopped the conversion, so he gave me permission to do whatever I wanted to his project and since I am not a savant when it comes to writing up these files, I just omitted and over written what he did, so it was a little but easier to do. Maybe use a darker line after I modify since I do plan on revamping the specializations again after my new idea for all classes to use the Force dice and make up two to three special talents for each specializations.

DarthDude likes this

3 minutes ago, DarthDude said:

Looks very neat!

Maybe the Hunter and Scout should have something similar to Outdoorsman in the first tier as well.

these two specializations were just duplicated from the original Hunter and Scouts will be modifying them as well to throw in the force dice into the specialization. Toying around with specializations they will become cooler in the next week or so, need to come up with a couple of cool talents that will make them stand out. I guess in a way, all the classes in Dragonstar will be Force users, especially since I will be starting back up my Star Wars game and these classes will be introduced to my players.

The original characters hid on Rakata Prime from the Empire and discovered an Imperial Listening post that they cleared out and then found an old Jedi Temple and fought and cleared out, then I took a break from running my game to play Imperial Assault and now with getting back into the swing of the RPG and this conversion it is helping with the thinking juices again, so now I am starting it with the Force sage discovers a Teleportation circle or as they are called in Dragonstar part of the Long road that was shut down to protect the civilization from the Dragon Empire. So the Players with less experience will travel the Long Road into the heart of the Dragonstar Universe.

DarthDude likes this

Just to give everyone a heads up on this project is once I get the original stuff up and running, I really do planned on posting even more stuff on this system as I originally had a pretty concept that I started on with the original Dragonstar but could not finalize it as FFG stopped supporting this System. My original concept had a Dwarven Mafia group working out of an asteroid belt, so somewhere down the road will be a write up on my Dwarven Mafia led by the Dwarven Godfather and all the things they are working on, it is a pretty cool project.

DarthDude and Richardbuxton like this

On 8/14/2017 at 1:25 AM, Richardbuxton said:

Witch Hunter: Sounds like a pistol wielding bounty hunter. Skip Tracer would be best I think, perhaps swap out Skullduggery for Ranged (Pistol)?

After looking over the skip tracer, this does not look like a witch hunter to me anyway. They do alot of tracing through computers to find their prey and then extort their prey for more money. Witch hunters to me would be more if an actual bounty hunter.

help me out here, I do get why they are doing magic this way. I am more into the Force die and power way as it gives more stuff for players to spend their xp on. So I think I am going to stick with the Edge as my primary system for Dragonstar and maybe do a write up later on for Genesys

5 minutes ago, gilbur said:

help me out here, I do get why they are doing magic this way. I am more into the Force die and power way as it gives more stuff for players to spend their xp on. So I think I am going to stick with the Edge as my primary system for Dragonstar and maybe do a write up later on for Genesys

I think you will find that Spells are just as much of an xp sink as Force Powers. Looking at the sample Spells we have from the Gencon module they all have upgrades. Those upgrades could be in the form of a list or in the same format as the Power trees. If it's the Trees (which personally I think is most likely) then the xp cost will be near identical between the two.

The benefit to using Skills over a Force Dice is simplicity, it removes the complexity of combined checks etc. I love the Force Dice but to be honest SW would be better without it :o 

The biggest benefit to the Skill system is you can try harder things with less xp, you can gamble. By being able to modify the difficulty for different effects you can stack the dice against yourself in the hope it pays off. With the Force Dice at lower levels your very much aware that many powers are completely useless.

The next big benefit is that there is a hard limit on how high your dice pool can go. The Force is technically unlimited which raises a whole hoard of questions about what power level a particular character should have. It also severely limits the other capabilities of that character which then necessitates Force Powers and Talents that let you use the Force with skill checks... why not just be good at the skill to start with!

I know SW is there right now so getting started working on this can happen now, but honestly I think Genesys will be the better system in the long run. It will have easier to integrate modular rules. It will have both magic of the right variety and also the high tech space travel.

DarthDude, DarthGM and gilbur like this

I am planning on adding another page, one thing at a time. Really new to all this stuff but still having fun coming up with these conversions and seeing what everyone thinks about the stuff i converted over. 

Going to either look into changing original concept a tad or post some spellware later.

After introducing my group to some of the stuff for my game, have come to my conclusion to introduce the Spellweaver class, they will be based around the Spellware. the specializations i am thinking is a Sage Knowledge type, a doctor who specializies  in the application and experimenting with the Spellware, probably a covert type and then we would have a combat type. Will hopefully create the class this weekend and have stuff posted tomorrow night for what everyone would think of the class. Going to spend today looking over Feats from 3rd edition and talents to see what I could come up with for the specializations.

Richardbuxton likes this

Sorry, had to get my daughter moved into college and then had family emergency but still planning posting the Spellweaver class this week for everyone to see and critique the class, do have a week off work starting Wednesday night and will be hoping to get all classes posted by next Friday.

Richardbuxton likes this

I know it's a lot of work, but if your handouts included a little fluff, at all, it would make it ten times more readable. I'm not so familiar with Dragonstar that it's all in my head - your Spellware handout is likely unreadable unless you have a Dragonstar book open in front of you.

For an example of what might be a good target: http://dragonstarsrd.freehostia.com/

Sorry for not posting anything in the past couple of weeks, personal things have taken me off track but still involved in this creation and also getting back into the RPG have been playing the Imperial Assault since the beginning of the year and now getting more wrapped up into the RPG again. Look for stuff in the coming weeks.

On 8/30/2017 at 0:15 PM, CitizenKeen said:

I know it's a lot of work, but if your handouts included a little fluff, at all, it would make it ten times more readable. I'm not so familiar with Dragonstar that it's all in my head - your Spellware handout is likely unreadable unless you have a Dragonstar book open in front of you.

For an example of what might be a good target: http://dragonstarsrd.freehostia.com/

This is fine for the D20 System but it is being re-vamped to the Narrative system which is totally different, so right now I am going through changing everything to the Narrative dice and it does not really give you a feel for the system as It does not have the stories that are in the actual books. So the changes are being made for the GENESYS and I am right now just getting input for the changes since I am really new to converting a system over to GENESYS and have gotten good reviews and things I can change, so this is work in progress I am planning a PDF file or two with the end results as I only concentrate on one thing at a time. Hoping that FFG would help with parts of it as they do not really have to work on it but I just don't see that happening as I think all their IPs should be where they concentrate on converting them. I loved Dragonstar when It was D20 but I think the GENESYS could make it way better.

You may have missed my point. I don't care about D20. Your conversion makes no mention of what you're converting. For example, what is spellware?

Spellware is Magic Tattoos and these are things I am putting together as I go, when I finish it was be explained in better details as I have been saying everything is being converted and since I am doing it on my own is a slow process. You can find the books online and very cheap, only tow books you need is the Starfarer's guide and guide to the Galaxy, if you want to help with the conversion. The books are worth the money especially now.

Sorry
I have not posted anything in awhile, but personal stuff has gotten in the way and have not put this on the back burner, but hoping for some good results that would change my life (Like a New Job). Still working on Classes and specializations hoping to get back to this in the next couple of weeks. Will keep everyone informed.

DarthDude likes this