Sign in to follow this  
Coyote Walks

Bayushi Shoju

29 minutes ago, Kitsu Seinosuke said:

There's a nice pattern here: those clan champions whose fluff portrays them as young, inexperienced and hopeful (Hotaru, Toturi, Tsukune) all have ring-manipulation effects, while those whose fluff portrays them as older, more experienced and somewhat sinister (Kisada, Yokuni, Shoju) all have non-ring effects.

Also, the young, inexperienced ones have higher glory, probably reflecting their potential, while the more experienced ones have lower glory.

To be honest, I was expecting 7 POL, but only 2 MIl, to mimic Kisada. 

11 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

The best part is, we have 3 young champs and 3 old champs everyone is talking about and grouping and comparing. And then there's Shinjo Altansarnaynay who just doesn't fit in and gets forgotten by the wayside just a day after her reveal. :lol:

Not fitting is part of being a Unicorn no? hehe

I like the fact that most of the champions abilities can be gamed around. So far Hotaru has been conflict switched (by Unicorn and Dragon) so she cant fire her ability, pulled into defensive conflicts to protect the last province, faced various combat send home/bow threats and had oppos using the rings as well as they can to get her out of play early.

There are plenty of potential throw away cards to cope with Kisada (my favourite is the Artisan holding which keeps on 'giving' if it survives the Crab attack conflicts).

I always ensure I have a cheap chump for the Unicorn champ (if I dont have anyone cheap then I defend with someone with no fate and pop them instead)

Shoju would be much the same, I can defend with characters with high political or ensure try to get the honouring ring so that those who defend have higher political and there will no doubt be more.

Same for the other champions.

What I like is how distinctive they all are and how the opponent needs to change their game plan to deal with them but that they can be dealt with (as opposed to bloody Chagatai)

2 hours ago, RandomJC said:

Hm...i kind of feel this power is too powerful. I know it's just me, but he doesn't sit right.

I think all the champs are there to make you change your play style

not that it impacted things at all but the head designer did state his favourite clan is scorpion (good grief almost mis-typed spider again but caught it this time, probably those hordes of telepathic ex-players. That smell of fish is probably the mantis trying, and failing, to do the same)

6 hours ago, RandomJC said:

Hm...i kind of feel this power is too powerful. I know it's just me, but he doesn't sit right.

Consider that the Scorpion Stronghold doesn't give any direct power buff though - the Crab, Dragon, and Lion can easily be 2 points bonus, the Unicorn moves in a character and they have some strong ones, the Phoenix is able to cut out a chump-POL character.  The Scorpion one doesn't do any of that, so Shoju being more powerful doesn't look as great when you compare the card sets.  I think you'll find Scorpion don't have as many direct stat bonus to help win conflicts either.

15 minutes ago, shosuko said:

Consider that the Scorpion Stronghold doesn't give any direct power buff though - the Crab, Dragon, and Lion can easily be 2 points bonus, the Unicorn moves in a character and they have some strong ones, the Phoenix is able to cut out a chump-POL character.  The Scorpion one doesn't do any of that, so Shoju being more powerful doesn't look as great when you compare the card sets.  I think you'll find Scorpion don't have as many direct stat bonus to help win conflicts either.

I don't know what the stronghold does. 

That really doesn't change my unsettling feeling, honestly. It may be my emotions overriding facts (probably is) but this just feels very powerful.

Edited by RandomJC