Sign in to follow this  
Coyote Walks

Bayushi Shoju

5 Fate

3 Mil

7 Pol

2 Glory

Bushi. Courtier. Champion.

Action:While this character is participating in a Pol conflict, choose a participating character controller by your opponent -- until the end of the conflict, that chacter get -1Pol and is discarded if its Pol is 0.  (Limit twice per round.)

Twitter Source (Image)

Edited by Coyote Walks

With a base skill of seven and technically a plus two from his ability he is quite the political powerhouse, even when disonored (and not necessarily a slouch in military either since he can potentially reduce the total count by way more than two). If he gets honored no single card can match him politically. I would say he is pretty good.

Edit- Not nearly as good as I thought in military, since his skill doesn't work there.

Edited by Doji Tori

What about characters with  Dash (-) Pol? Is there just no way for them to even be moved to a political conflict because of the rule that "A character with a dash (–) for a skill value cannot participate in a conflict of that type." would prevent them from moving and would send them home if the type changed  from Mil to Pol or would their skill value count as 0?

1 minute ago, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

"A character with a dash (–) for a skill value cannot participate in a conflict of that type."

I don't know if that can be any clearer.

It really can't but I was trying to explain it to someone else and they kept trying to bring up cases where they thought it would be possible. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something glaringly obvious.

Just now, Klawtu said:

It really can't but I was trying to explain it to someone else and they kept trying to bring up cases where they thought it would be possible. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something glaringly obvious.

If - for any reason - a character with a dash in a skill becomes involved in a conflict of that type the character is bowed and sent home.  Having a - skill gives a bit of protection in a way...

I wonder if there are any other ways to reduce POL.  Dishonoring is a great one...  I wonder if they'll get anything else?

I'm excited for this ability because it is a bit of a call-back to Kachiko's ability of giving -1-1 counters to people so that you can drop them to 0 chi for death lol.

20 minutes ago, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

From the Rules Reference:

Cannot
The word “cannot” is absolute, and cannot be countermanded by other abilities or effects.

I actually despise this rule. There are at least a half a dozen instances of cannot being violated in this game; quite a number of game interactions would be different if cannot were actually treated as absolute. Unfortunately from what I can tell they put this rule in because it sounded like a good idea but then they went and made a bunch of dispensations for what happens when cannot gets violated.

The correct answer is what shosuko says here, not that cannot is absolute (because it isn't):

19 minutes ago, shosuko said:

If - for any reason - a character with a dash in a skill becomes involved in a conflict of that type the character is bowed and sent home.  Having a - skill gives a bit of protection in a way...

I wonder if there are any other ways to reduce POL.  Dishonoring is a great one...  I wonder if they'll get anything else?

I'm excited for this ability because it is a bit of a call-back to Kachiko's ability of giving -1-1 counters to people so that you can drop them to 0 chi for death lol.

3 minutes ago, Khift said:

There are at least a half a dozen instances of cannot being violated in this game; quite a number of game interactions would be different if cannot were actually treated as absolute. Unfortunately from what I can tell they put this rule in because it sounded like a good idea but then they went and made a bunch of dispensations for what happens when cannot gets violated.

Not trying to be argumentative here:
I'm genuinely interested in a list of these violations if you could point them out, please.

5 minutes ago, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

Not trying to be argumentative here:
I'm genuinely interested in a list of these violations if you could point them out, please.

So, a character with a dash cannot participate in conflicts of that type. If cannot were absolute then it would never be possible to create a circumstance in which that character finds itself in that kind of conflict. However, it's not just possible, it's actually pretty trivial -- Rally to the Cause, Kuroi Mori, Captive Audience, a really dumb Charge use, a surprise Pacifism that got moved by a dumb Called in Favor, a Shiba Peacemaker whose Cloud the Mind got Let Go, etc etc. All of these cause cannots to be violated. Then the game has rules for what to do when such a character finds themselves in a conflict they aren't supposed to be in. And that's a fine rule to have, and the game works just fine with it, it just annoys me that it says cannot is absolute and then turns around and creates a rule which handles what happens when cannot is violated because by definition something which is absolute can't be violated.

7 minutes ago, Kubernes said:

I'm a bit underwhelmed by Shoju but it's the core set so we cannot really see him with something ridiculous. Gotta wait for his experienced version.

The only thing Shoju needs is a reverse Captive Audience...  If he has some distraction technique to swap the conflict type then BAM he's taking on Kisada in a 1v1 duel of wits (hint Kisada is bad at wits.)  Not only will he talk Kisada's ear off, but he'll talk off several other body parts as well... all the way to the discard pile...  Possibly dishonored, not that Kisada cares about Glory... but honor isn't the forte of the Crab... and we all lose at 0...  Might Call in a Favor for his Reprieve first too...  Shoju's always wanted a Reprieve...

Edited by shosuko

8 minutes ago, Kubernes said:

I'm a bit underwhelmed by Shoju but it's the core set so we cannot really see him with something ridiculous. Gotta wait for his experienced version.

He can take down, single-handed (with a little help from Dishonored status), all other clan Champions, except for Hotaru.

Just now, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

He can take down, single-handed (with a little help from Dishonored status), all other clan Champions, except for Hotaru.

I assume Way of the Scorpion will be "action: choose a target character - dishonor them."  idk, I've been wrong on all my speculations but I imagine there will be at least 1 way to directly dishonor someone...  Which gives a LOT more use to Shoju.