DarthGM

Genesys Symbol Font

5 hours ago, Territan said:

It's not perfect yet, but the preliminary tests off the printer are promising.

This is encouraging news!  Do you think it would be possible to include the dice shapes in the font as well as the symbols?  

I also wonder if it would be possible to adapt something like what OggDude did in his FFG character builder, which is to make special icons to denote "add a Boost die" or what have you, by superimposing a + or a - on the dice shape.  

Dice shapes in the font, along with the symbols? That's what I did, basically. I took Lecudas's TTF, loaded it up on FontForge, and ran me fingers over the pith of its marrow. The square went in j, the parallelogram in k, the hexagon in l, and then I copied those shapes into their respective capitals, and turned them into rounded strokes which frame the originals pretty darned well if I do say so myself.

I got the attached image by typing in Word, with a singe font, the one I named Genesys-Tweak, using the techniques I described above (and below). Then I printed and rescanned, just as proof-of-concept that they will roll out of the household printer properly.

Don't get me wrong, it's still far from perfect. I was more concerned about the shapes looking good than making them fit into whatever text they might be set with. And colorizing them can be a bit tricky; you need to put the cursor to the left of the shape, shift-right-arrow to select the very next character (the one under the frame), and colorize that character. Also, copying and pasting them may be a pain if you don't have them separated by spaces because it's too easy not to select the black frame along with the colored shape.

Still, as cruel typographical trickery goes, I think it's a fine first effort. Maybe next I'll attempt a full alphabet? (Narrator: No, he won't.)

Genesys Glyph Overprint Test.png

This is great! Would you be willing to share? (the TTF version I have has still got pentagons instead of hexagons) ;_; 

Edited by Lime2K
could not compile (missing paren)

4 hours ago, Lime2K said:

This is great! Would you be willing to share? (the TTF version I have has still got pentagons instead of hexagons) ;_; 

Yes I would. Like I said, though, it's far from perfect. It doesn't even show up in my regular font menus. I could still use it, though, so I must have done something right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn3uxz3dnpocbs3/Genesys-Tweak.ttf?dl=0

On 2/7/2018 at 8:59 PM, Territan said:

Yes I would. Like I said, though, it's far from perfect. It doesn't even show up in my regular font menus. I could still use it, though, so I must have done something right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn3uxz3dnpocbs3/Genesys-Tweak.ttf?dl=0

It's also come to my attention that people might not even be able to get to this file, since Dropbox is pushing pro service and paywalling the ability to change permissions. Do I need to rehost this?

I'm not a photoshop pro, just started using it... I'm having an issue here with these fonts.

I can type all the letters of the alphabet and they appear fine, but the moment I select my text and switch to the Genesys font, it makes all letters invisible instead of showing any symbols.  I feel like I'm going crazy. Any photoshop gurus know what's wrong? Fonts work fine in Word!

9 hours ago, The Mick said:

I'm not a photoshop pro, just started using it... I'm having an issue here with these fonts.

I can type all the letters of the alphabet and they appear fine, but the moment I select my text and switch to the Genesys font, it makes all letters invisible instead of showing any symbols.  I feel like I'm going crazy. Any photoshop gurus know what's wrong? Fonts work fine in Word!

Many letters disappear when you change to the Genesys fonts because the Genesys fonts we're throwing around here aren't complete alphabets; the ones tossed around before I came in have only six characters, representing Failure (f), Threat (h), Despair (d), Success (s), Advantage (a), and Triumph (t). The rest are empty; don't set body or normal text to use the Genesys fonts. If you're working in Word, you can set a character style that applies the Genesys font, and use that only when needed.

If you're experimenting with the Genesys-Tweak font that I posted above (and nobody's told me if they can actually do anything with that font or not yet—please respond?), then you've got a few more glyphs to work with, but they contain a bit of typographical bastardry in the form of overprint characters. They'll make body text look even worse and they may be kinda hard to work with, but if you want to stick die types into your text, they're just the thing.

3 hours ago, Territan said:

Many letters disappear when you change to the Genesys fonts because the Genesys fonts we're throwing around here aren't complete alphabets; the ones tossed around before I came in have only six characters, representing Failure (f), Threat (h), Despair (d), Success (s), Advantage (a), and Triumph (t). The rest are empty; don't set body or normal text to use the Genesys fonts. If you're working in Word, you can set a character style that applies the Genesys font, and use that only when needed.

If you're experimenting with the Genesys-Tweak font that I posted above (and nobody's told me if they can actually do anything with that font or not yet—please respond?), then you've got a few more glyphs to work with, but they contain a bit of typographical bastardry in the form of overprint characters. They'll make body text look even worse and they may be kinda hard to work with, but if you want to stick die types into your text, they're just the thing.

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear, but yes I know that only certain letters are in the font, but even if I use (s), I don't get the symbols. Same problem in both your font and the original one.  Again, I'm using Photoshop text layers. I don't see a way to set "body"; I feel really dumb right now since I must be doing something wrong. Hopefully my screenshot can help... I've selected an (S) and I set it to the GenesysTweak font, and it's blank. Yet it works in Word.

issue photo.png

Sorry, I misunderstood; you're actually working in Photoshop, which for some reason caught me by surprise.

Sure, Photoshop doesn't have the faculties for working with text that Word has, and I haven't used Photoshop in a long time so I don't know what's changed in Hostage Crisis Creative Cloud Edition, but I'm having trouble seeing why it wouldn't work. I just went into three different graphic programs, and I could make it work.

One thing I notice in that screenshot... and please pardon me if this sounds dumb... but the text surrounding the glyph is all uppercase. The "success" glyph is in the lowercase "s." If you have something in Photoshop forcing the case of that text, could you disable that, please?

Also, I tried to polish up the spacing a little on those dice, and came up with this new version of the font, more properly named "Genesys Glyphs and Dice." Could you try that one and tell me if you have the same problem?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fag51p5pbpv00ny/GenesysGlyphsAndDice.ttf?dl=0

23 hours ago, Territan said:

Sorry, I misunderstood; you're actually working in Photoshop, which for some reason caught me by surprise.

Sure, Photoshop doesn't have the faculties for working with text that Word has, and I haven't used Photoshop in a long time so I don't know what's changed in Hostage Crisis Creative Cloud Edition, but I'm having trouble seeing why it wouldn't work. I just went into three different graphic programs, and I could make it work.

One thing I notice in that screenshot... and please pardon me if this sounds dumb... but the text surrounding the glyph is all uppercase. The "success" glyph is in the lowercase "s." If you have something in Photoshop forcing the case of that text, could you disable that, please?

Also, I tried to polish up the spacing a little on those dice, and came up with this new version of the font, more properly named "Genesys Glyphs and Dice." Could you try that one and tell me if you have the same problem?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fag51p5pbpv00ny/GenesysGlyphsAndDice.ttf?dl=0

Well look at that, I didn't even know you could set "all caps" in photoshop... Googled it, then checked my template.. sure enough that was the problem! Good call!

On 1/29/2018 at 4:48 PM, Foghorn said:

One last thing that I thought might be helpful for this thread, the RGB values the I pulled from my PDF of the corebook for the dice icons.

Boost (114, 205, 220)

Setback (0, 0, 0)

Ability (65, 173, 73)

Difficulty (108, 42, 132)

Proficiency (255, 232, 0)

Challenge (125, 24, 33)

genesys-dice-icons.PNG.87e08acbc07da820d51becf4cd1ebf80.PNG

You rock, thank you!  :) I was just about to do a search and checked the thread before I hit google. 

On 1/29/2018 at 7:48 PM, Foghorn said:

One last thing that I thought might be helpful for this thread, the RGB values the I pulled from my PDF of the corebook for the dice icons.

Boost (114, 205, 220)

Setback (0, 0, 0)

Ability (65, 173, 73)

Difficulty (108, 42, 132)

Proficiency (255, 232, 0)

Challenge (125, 24, 33)

Crazy, I did the same, checking the colors from my pdf, and the colors are a bit different:

Boost (117, 204, 218)
Ability (78, 171, 83)
Proficiency (255, 240, 61)

Setback (0, 0, 0)
Difficulty (81, 42, 124)
Challenge (116, 24, 26)

8 hours ago, Bellyon said:

Crazy, I did the same, checking the colors from my pdf, and the colors are a bit different

Gamma/sRGB/Lab/Cie Correction anyone?

You should check the CMYK values in print media, and convert from there https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/color/cmyk-to-rgb.html or use you favorite Paint App to do this.

if you want more correctness, try to find out the actual Pantone Ink or whatever Color Ink Standard was used to print and load that palette into you favorite Paint App (Adobe, Inkscape and GIMP can do this)